GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2010 heated seat from a member here and installed it on my 2005.
I followed these instructions from Rocky and it’s as easy as it sounds.

"The seat plug has a ten prong connector - five on the top row and five on the bottom row. Pins one and two are the heating element wires for the front seat and should be white (1) and yellow (2).
The rear heating element pair are pin five and pin nine and should be yellow (5) and red (9).
I installed a four prong male/female connector in place of the OEM connector
I wired in the passenger seat and backrest together.
What I did was add additional longer wires long enough to reach the passenger backrest when on the trunk. With a male/female two prong connector."

I installed a heat control unit found by Googling "heat trollers" to control the seat. Sorry, I can't name names for fear of trouble for advertising. It’s a simple matter of cutting off the plug that is meant to plug into your heated gear and wiring the two wires through the male/female connectors to the seat elements.
I put the control knobs under the right passenger armrest pocket. I read somewhere that the flashing lights could be distracting when mounted on the front. And this was easier. And my wife can control her seat without having to disturb me. There is just enough room under the door to install the controls. The only catch is the requirement to cut a hole the size of the controller in the back of the compartment to pass the controllers through. Alternatively, you could cut and splice the wires.
The seat warms up nicely. A worthwhile upgrade. seat.jpg wires.jpg test.jpg switches.jpg done.jpg

·
Registered
654 Posts
interesting, I've got heat already but I like it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nicely done..I did the same on my 05, with a heated 06 seat. I put the passenger controller knob on the left pocket door in case I wanted to change or take off, all I would have to do is buy a new door rather than the whole compartment. I put the driver controller on the right side faring just under the key hole for the faring pocket. Again, if I wanted to change or take off, only have to replace that plastic plate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heated Seat instructions

I purchased a 2010 heated seat from a member here and installed it on my 2005.
I followed these instructions from Rocky and it’s as easy as it sounds.

"The seat plug has a ten prong connector - five on the top row and five on the bottom row. Pins one and two are the heating element wires for the front seat and should be white (1) and yellow (2).
The rear heating element pair are pin five and pin nine and should be yellow (5) and red (9).
I installed a four prong male/female connector in place of the OEM connector
I wired in the passenger seat and backrest together.
What I did was add additional longer wires long enough to reach the passenger backrest when on the trunk. With a male/female two prong connector."

I installed a heat control unit found by Googling "heat trollers" to control the seat. Sorry, I can't name names for fear of trouble for advertising. It’s a simple matter of cutting off the plug that is meant to plug into your heated gear and wiring the two wires through the male/female connectors to the seat elements.
I put the control knobs under the right passenger armrest pocket. I read somewhere that the flashing lights could be distracting when mounted on the front. And this was easier. And my wife can control her seat without having to disturb me. There is just enough room under the door to install the controls. The only catch is the requirement to cut a hole the size of the controller in the back of the compartment to pass the controllers through. Alternatively, you could cut and splice the wires.
The seat warms up nicely. A worthwhile upgrade. View attachment 54851 View attachment 54852 View attachment 54853 View attachment 54854 View attachment 54855
RR, I want to thank you for your posting of this heated seat instructions and diagram. I purchased a 2006 seat to put on m 2005. I ordered in a dual control had grip controller from heat troller and used a 2 and 4 prong trailer plugs to hook up the wiring. My seat and my wifes seat and backrest heat work very well. Thank you for this info. Keith:bow:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I currently have an 02 non-heat. I plan on having my stock seat redone/improved next year at the Wing-Ding. But after reading this, I think that maybe I should buy a newer seat that has the heating elements in it and having that one improved.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I currently have an 02 non-heat. I plan on having my stock seat redone/improved next year at the Wing-Ding. But after reading this, I think that maybe I should buy a newer seat that has the heating elements in it and having that one improved.
The stock 06 heated seat that I bought for my non-heated 05 had already been modified with gel foam...makes for a very comfortable ride and doesn't affect the heat. It may take a few more minutes to get warm, but the gel seems to keep the heat so when I turn the heat off, it stays warm for quite awhile.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I plan on doing this soon, my thanks for posting this. What type of inline fuse did you use ? I'm assuming the heat troller comes with a 15 amp fuse which should be appropriate. Is First Gear and Warm n Safe the same company?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I plan on doing this soon, my thanks for posting this. What type of inline fuse did you use ? I'm assuming the heat troller comes with a 15 amp fuse which should be appropriate. Is First Gear and Warm n Safe the same company?
I used the fuse that came with the heat troller.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks that's what I thought Scribe5 . Are you still liking the location of the plugs or would you change it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I like the set up as is. I put detachable plugs in the trunk so that I can unhook them and them take off the seat and the passenger back rest with no trouble. The heat troller controls are perfect. My wife can reach hers and mine is handy enough on the right side panel. Left side would have been better, but it was rather crowded there with all the switches. It all just works amazingly well.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thank you, just received the heat controller yesterday, it was on back order. I'm sure we will like it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts