GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a person or dealer that can install an aux. fuel tank in my CSC GL1800 trike? I am planning a trip to Alaska and would like to a little more fuel reserve. Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tri County Cycles in Corbin, KY did mine without taking the body off. Their installer said that CSC had taught him how to do it. Call around there in Arkansas to the CSC dealers and I bet you will find one that can do it. My dealer even had the tank and all in stock.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did he charge, if you mind me asking?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just had one installed last month. Misty mountain cycle Paul the owner did the work. It was not to bad. Did not remove kit but did RR main tank. Change air cleaner while there. I had a lot of work done and do not know what he would charge for install of tank only. If I had it to do again the answer would be with out a doubt YES. YES. YES.

Paul Shott
Misty Mountain Cycles

Good people!!

PS.. They are located in Heber Springs Arkansas

·
Registered
197 Posts
AK

You will definitely appreciate the peace of mind and perhaps the NEED for extra fuel range heading up to Fairbanks, I did the trip in 2010 and had a situation where 2 bikes where stranded for 2 days at a station/campground that was out of fuel because the tanker didnt make it the previous week because of a snow storm, it was mid/late june, the bikes where on fumes and 60 miles to the next possible fuel stop, I offered up a gallon but that was not enough for them to make it to the next stop, they expected the fuel truck that day, it was early season but you just never know heading up the ALCAN, business' are closing faster than a gl1800 because of the economy! Hope its a great trip:thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I will call today. My dealer said I should get 180 to 200 miles on a tank. Apparently he has never taking a trip on a Goldwing Trike. At 180 miles you better be setting at the pump or on the side of the road.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Thanks all, I will call today. My dealer said I should get 180 to 200 miles on a tank. Apparently he has never taking a trip on a Goldwing Trike. At 180 miles you better be setting at the pump or on the side of the road.
Interesting-my 06Wing/2010Hannigan is getting 36 to 38mpg w/2 up highway riding in warm weather, non-ethanol gas.
I easily go 200miles on a tank!
Wonder what the difference is?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know. My exaust is very black. It appears to be running very rich. I had an old 65 ford that looked better. The dealer said there was nothing they could do about it. Do know of anyone that could tune the engine for me?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
You might try an ECM reset
Last air filter change?
Brand of gas normally used?
Tow the trailer loaded a lot?
Maybe more throttle than me?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have been wanting to do this but I as of yet have not found a dealer willing to take care of it for me.
My best bet so far was from CSC.
I have 3 dealers and they will not touch it, they said it was too much work.
I have contacted adventure trikes and Randy is not a dealer as per say but is working on being 1 for everything but Honda's. However he is working on trying to help me out.

I can get 180 miles per tank but 200 is pushing it.
Since my wife has passed away I ride a lot now and only stop for fuel.
I will be contacting these 2 dealers that were posted and see what they can do
Thanks for the dealers

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you do the reset? I changed the filter in May 2011. I usually use Shell. That is what my credit card is. If I need to chang I will. If I dont tow a trailer and be very careful I will get about 31 MPG. The best I have ever got is 33.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dirtdobber, Let me know if you find out something. I would like to have my Goldwing checked out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How do you do the reset? I changed the filter in May 2011. I usually use Shell. That is what my credit card is. If I need to chang I will. If I dont tow a trailer and be very careful I will get about 31 MPG. The best I have ever got is 33.
Don't worry about gas miles. Every one gets better gas milage until you ride with them:nojoke:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't worry about gas miles. Every one gets better gas milage until you ride with them:nojoke:
:agree:I have ridden 25k trouble free miles on my .CSC and mileage normally runs 32to34 mpg. Have gotten as much as 41 following Warsaw and as little as 26mpg into a 30 mph crosswind at 75 and 80 mph in West Texas..

I normally stop every 100 to 125 miles but sometimes I would like it to be somewhere other than a gas station. We frequent small town squares out West for a lunch out of our cooler. Capacity gives you more than just range it also gives you options. CSC offers the best (IMHO) aux fuel tank because you Never have to worry about stale gas or is my aux full? Bearing in mind that you may spend an extra 30 seconds at the pump as fuel transfers.

I normally ride one up sometimes with a trailer. SO has a Tri-Glide.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Been 2 maybe 3 years since I had tank installed. I think he charged me $600.00 or $650.00. Don't remember for sure. Glad I did it just for peace of mind. Mine is an '02 1800 with '06 csc conversion and I average between 33 and 37 mpg with 2 up. I am about 165lbs and the wife is about 120. Besides that we seem to haul a lot of junk all the time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Been 2 maybe 3 years since I had tank installed. I think he charged me $600.00 or $650.00. Don't remember for sure. Glad I did it just for peace of mind. Mine is an '02 1800 with '06 csc conversion and I average between 33 and 37 mpg with 2 up. I am about 165lbs and the wife is about 120. Besides that we seem to haul a lot of junk all the time.
Tanks have gone to $650 plus install:22yikes: no install charge on new kits..

Good Luck

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
How do you do the reset? I changed the filter in May 2011. I usually use Shell. QUOTE]

May 2011 filter change probably means an ECM reset is not required. Usually that reset really only affects the idle RPM anyway.
But, in case you want to do a reset sometime:

1.Start w/ cold engine,
2. Don't touch throttle, start the motor
3. Once fans start allow to run another 90 seconds or so, turn off.
Done.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks tfdeputydawg, I will try the reset this afternoon.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have spent a lot of time researching mpg with the csc kit. Every dealer and almost everything I have read on forums the CSC gets the worse mpg. I get 30 mpg around local and 34 mpg on the road at 65-75 mph but I only have 1,800 miles thus far. Normally 125-150 is plenty in most cases but I ride some organized rides that is close to 125 miles none stop. They stop for nothing, including weather.
Riding at self speed and time/range a factory tank will provide all you need I would think. Even when I am solo I stop between 150-180 miles anyway.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I have spent a lot of time researching mpg with the csc kit. Every dealer and almost everything I have read on forums the CSC gets the worse mpg. I get 30 mpg around local and 34 mpg on the road at 65-75 mph but I only have 1,800 miles thus far. Normally 125-150 is plenty in most cases but I ride some organized rides that is close to 125 miles none stop. They stop for nothing, including weather.
Riding at self speed and time/range a factory tank will provide all you need I would think. Even when I am solo I stop between 150-180 miles anyway.
Interesting point-wonder what the rear end gear ratio is in a CSC?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts