GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used Dart trailer a while back and have been getting everything fixed (wiring, registering, etc.) It didn't come with safety chains.

Where would you attach the chains? On the swivel hitch or on the tongue behind the swivel hitch?
IMG_0815[1].JPG

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't think it would really matter. If you drag the trailer around by the chains when you disconect it from bike. The swivle coupler tends to flop to one side or the other. we have 2 trailers 1 bolted on swivel coupler and the other on bolts behind it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Picked up a used Dart trailer a while back and have been getting everything fixed (wiring, registering, etc.) It didn't come with safety chains.

Where would you attach the chains? On the swivel hitch or on the tongue behind the swivel hitch?
View attachment 367403
I would attach to one of the two bolts on the tongue holding the swivel in place.
Chains.jpg

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Either is okay. Be aware most state laws require two chains.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Attach them behind the swivel.One to each side of the tongue and cross them before attaching them to opposite sides of the hitch. If the hitch should fail it makes a chain cradle to keep the tongue off the ground (hopefully).

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have a similar swivel hitch. Below are pics of how I did it.

View attachment 367403

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Perfect setup but you need a pin or lock in your hitch lock.
Thanks. This was just a test in my garage after I got the swivel and chains installed along with the trail plug. I have a locking pin that goes through the hitch to keep it from opening (either by itself or with the help of someone else) .

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Still no pictures. 😢

·
Registered
307 Posts
I mounted mine like this. Not to the swivel hitch just incase something happened to the swivel.
770F3FCB-E681-423F-BFFB-DF94EC766AD2.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts