GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the posting of the videos. I have heard a lot about these, talked to some have used them, talked to sceptics, and think this is a way I may head. Reading about things helps, and talking to others help, but the videos are the one thing that really helps this dummy. Guess I am a visual person :shock:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the posting of the videos. I have heard a lot about these, talked to some have used them, talked to sceptics, and think this is a way I may head. Reading about things helps, and talking to others help, but the videos are the one thing that really helps this dummy. Guess I am a visual person :shock:
Hello, A freind and I just installed a new set of Stones on our 1800 and also installed dyna beads. We have put about 200 miles on our bikes since installing them and so far, we love them. The set we purchased from the following web site came with a plastic tubes. 2 OZ per tire. We removed the valve core, cut one end of the plastic tube, placed it over the stem, cut the other end of the tube and used a little air pressure to blow the beads into the tire. The only thing to remember is to have the tube securely placed on the stem and to have the stem in any postion other than 6 o'clock. You will have to use a little "air" force to blow them out of the tube, but they go in quite nicely. I have attatched the link to the web site I purchased them from and they worked alot better than the bottle and vibration method on other sites. Any questions, let me know..JT http://www.evolutioncycles.com/dynabeads.htm

·
Registered
855 Posts
Obviously, these Dynabeads work.
I just don't get HOW they work.
How is it possible for these little beads to seek out and run to the "wrong" side of the tire? Seems like they are defying some physical law.
What majical stuff are they made of?

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
How is it possible for these little beads to seek out and run to the "wrong" side of the tire? Seems like they are defying some physical law.
I don't understand it either. I wish someone would/could explain the science...

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sofa Driver, I think they are made from some type of ceramic material, but I could be wrong. I have been told by my wife that I have been wrong in the past, :lol:so I cannot commit to 100% on this issue..lol

·
Registered
855 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hey, thanks!

Now let's try it with marbles just for fun! Ball bearings? Theoreticaly, I guess it would work with golf balls! Be a helluva ride if it didn't, though! :joke:

marbles would work nicely in a giant tire like one off of a 747. But, they would be a very crowded in a little motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not just for tubeless tires...

I usually static balance the tires on my 2001 Honda Shadow Aero each year to make sure they stay balanced due to wear. I installed 2 oz of Dynabeads in each tubed tire and I can tell the Dynabeads work as advertised.

How do they work? I don't know. But I'm happy and will be using the Dynabeads going forward on whatever I'm riding.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I installed dyna beads a few weeks ago and they are hard to blow in with the bottle that they supply. I have a engine cleaning blow gun like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97014
and it worked great installing the dyna beads. I used the bottle to fill the supplied installation tube about half full, then the cone shaped head of the gun was held in palce and a small blast of air blew them into the tire. I had them all in a short time.

I use this method for instaling tire sealant in my ATV tires. I drill a hole in the bottom of the bottle and blast the gook into the tire.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I dont think i can use them on my 09 with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Won't they clog or block the sensor in the rim?
I would think that the Dyna Beads would work just fine. The TPMS is mounted to the rim and the beads travel around the inside surface of the tire; Centripetal Force. They may fall or bounce off of the TPMS as the rotation slows or if you came to a quick stop however I think you have nothing to fear.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I haven't seen the 09 Honda TPMS, but some of those that have seen it seem to think it (the beads) might interfere with the TPMS.

I dont think i can use them on my 09 with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Won't they clog or block the sensor in the rim?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I am a big fan of Dyna Beads but I have reservations about putting them in my 09 with TPMS. I don't think they can be installed through the valve stem either. That isn't a big deal, but it means having to break the bead on the tire and install them that way. The other thing that bothers me is the beads tend to rub on the inside of the tire and create a lot of tire dust, I can't help believe that this will find it way into the Pressure Sensor and cause a malfunction.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So am I to understand from that video of the water bottle, that you will have an unbalanced wobble at low speeds, especially after a stop?

I am asking this as opposed to a properly (and I say properly) weight balanced tire that should be balanced at any speed.

In town riding could cause early wear with the dynabeads?

I'm wondering if it just wouldn't be good in the long run to invest a little money in a tire balancer and use weights.

Just thinking out loud here. Not sure which way to go for myself.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So if you balance your tires with a balancer,as the tire wears do you think it stays balanced? I use Dyna Beads and they work perfectly,JMHO I think my tires are much more balanced than most tires , especially after you get a few hundred miles on them.Dynabeads are very smooth at all speeds.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
So if you balance your tires with a balancer,as the tire wears do you think it stays balanced? I use Dyna Beads and they work perfectly,JMHO I think my tires are much more balanced than most tires , especially after you get a few hundred miles on them.Dynabeads are very smooth at all speeds.

Welcome to the "lightside" FW!!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts