GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Oil wouldn't work, I'm sure that it could cause the tire to spin on the wheel. That wouldn't be too good. Mecury on the other hand might be the answer but then that is another problem.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I use them in all my bikes!:thumbup: I use a foot long tube and my compressor to install them. Works for me! I wish I had them "back in the day" when I was a factory Indian board track racer!!:joke:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
What about lead weights on wheels? Will they work too? <g>

Oil wouldn't work, I'm sure that it could cause the tire to spin on the wheel. That wouldn't be too good. Mecury on the other hand might be the answer but then that is another problem.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Removing the Dyna Beads

I had new Stones installed by a friend. He has a very nice tire changer set up.

I told him I had the Dyna Beads. He uses the Centramatic units (very nice but very expensive) and says he will not do installs for me if I use the Dyna Beads as they will get all over his basement floor when we break the wheels down again. I must say I completely understand.

Is there a safe and easy way to get them out without spilling them all over the floor.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Vacuum cleaner? Maybe just throw the wheel/tire assembly in the landfill.

I told him I had the Dyna Beads. He uses the Centramatic units (very nice but very expensive) and says he will not do installs for me if I use the Dyna Beads as they will get all over his basement floor when we break the wheels down again. I must say I completely understand.

Is there a safe and easy way to get them out without spilling them all over the floor.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts

Glad he is not my friend...not much of a friend to you either.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I change them all of the time and never spill any of them. I guess if you are not on top of the game then you spill them all over the floor.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I like that! if you know they are in there, just take your time and move the tire around so it is on the other side and you can spin the tire off without spilling many, if at all.
Buckskin
I change them all of the time and never spill any of them. I guess if you are not on top of the game then you spill them all over the floor.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I like that! if you know they are in there, just take your time and move the tire around so it is on the other side and you can spin the tire off without spilling many, if at all.
Buckskin
How much time does it take to balance a tire with dynabeads as opposed to balancing with a conventional balancer and lead weights? How does the balance of the tire/wheel assembly compare between the methods? Does it cost more, or less? These questions presume equal competence on the part of the technicians.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You don't add weight to a tire with dyna beads. They take the place of weights.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Are the dino beads made of magiconium, or what? :joke:
Ben, I have no knowlege of "DINO" beads. I do have experience with "Dyna Beads" and they are made of ceramic. Since you are so sceptical and uninformed, check this out.

They do work very well by the way.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
The 'bottle demo was fun to watch. I'm still trying to figure out how it relates to a tire/ wheel. That said, I suppose I am somewhat "skeptical". More to the mark, I see the beads as an answer to an unasked question. Conventional tire balancing methods have served me very well.

Perhaps you can shed light on (answer) the questions I raised in my post # 50, above? "How much time does it take to balance a tire with dynabeads as opposed to balancing with a conventional balancer and lead weights? How does the balance of the tire/wheel assembly compare between the methods? Does it cost more, or less? These questions presume equal competence on the part of the technicians.

Ben, I have no knowlege of "DINO" beads. I do have experience with "Dyna Beads" and they are made of ceramic. Since you are so sceptical and uninformed, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

They do work very well by the way.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
OK, Ben...
There is another product that uses the same technolgy. Spinning balls inside the wheel, jug or a tube accomplishes the same thing. I don't know what others charge for balancing wheels and tires. I charge 20.00 bucks to mount and balance tires. I had someone who thought the beads didn't work so.... I put 2 oz of weight on a balanced wheel and showed the customer that the wheel was out of balance. He rode the bike and agreed that the wheel was shaking. I added 2 oz of beads and left the out-of-balance weights on the wheel and he rode the bike again. the bike was smooth as silk.

chew on this one if the spinning bottle didn't make the light come on.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Perhaps you can shed light on (answer) the questions I raised in my post # 50, above? "How much time does it take to balance a tire with dynabeads as opposed to balancing with a conventional balancer and lead weights? How does the balance of the tire/wheel assembly compare between the methods? Does it cost more, or less? These questions presume equal competence on the part of the technicians.

OK, Ben...
There is another product that uses the same technolgy. Spinning balls inside the wheel, jug or a tube accomplishes the same thing. I don't know what others charge for balancing wheels and tires. I charge 20.00 bucks to mount and balance tires. I had someone who thought the beads didn't work so.... I put 2 oz of weight on a balanced wheel and showed the customer that the wheel was out of balance. He rode the bike and agreed that the wheel was shaking. I added 2 oz of beads and left the out-of-balance weights on the wheel and he rode the bike again. the bike was smooth as silk.

chew on this one if the spinning bottle didn't make the light come on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullnFQD4F1I&feature=related

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The time it takes to balance the wheel and tire with lead weights takes me a minute or two. Adding Dyna Beads to the wheel before I air it up takes 10 seconds. If you add Dyna Beads throught the valve stem to a wheel and tire that are already mounted, it takes 10 to 15 minutes.

If you want to add beads to your bike you can do it without taking the tires and wheels off the bike. They can be inserted through the valve stem. (with the valve core removed) I have found that if you buy a long (2~3 foot) clear hose and add a few beads at the time and hit the hose with a blast of compressed air, you can blow the beads into the tire in short order.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you help with my other questions from above?, " How does the balance of the tire/wheel assembly compare between the methods? Does it cost more, or less? These questions presume equal competence on the part of the technicians."

Put another way, what would I gain from using beads as opposed to conventional balancing methods and would it be cost-effective?I have read lots of praise for the beads but as yet have not yet seen empirical evidence that convinces me to replace the tried and true with them. I am, as those who know me could tell you, open to change when convinced that a change makes sense.

The time it takes to balance the wheel and tire with lead weights takes me a minute or two. Adding Dyna Beads to the wheel before I air it up takes 10 seconds. If you add Dyna Beads throught the valve stem to a wheel and tire that are already mounted, it takes 10 to 15 minutes.

If you want to add beads to your bike you can do it without taking the tires and wheels off the bike. They can be inserted through the valve stem. (with the valve core removed) I have found that if you buy a long (2~3 foot) clear hose and add a few beads at the time and hit the hose with a blast of compressed air, you can blow the beads into the tire in short order.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Beads cost a few dollars more. What other folks charge, well I have no idea. I don't charge anything extra for lead weights but I do charge for the beads (unless the customer supplies them)

The biggest advantage with the beads or the centramatic sustem is they constantly adjust to the out-of -balance condition of the tire where lead weights can't. As tires wear, the balance of the tire changes, beads compensate and lead weights can't. If you had something stick to the wheel, like a big mud clod, then the beads will correct the imbalance.

If you want the best of both worlds, balance the tires with lead weights and add the beads. If you keep the tires inflated properly, they will last longer and resist cupping better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just put the beads in my Bridgestones yesterday. I first started with the vibrating tool. What a pain. So for the back tire and trailer tires I used some air from my compressor. What a difference! Using a little air to push them in is the ONLY way to go. I haven't driven with them in yet but can't wait.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts