GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Similar product

Bought two cases at a farm auction, knowing exactly what they were. I only install the beads with tire/rim off my vehicles and simply hold plastic vial with my left hand and "thump" it with my right one finger. They go in quite easily. Semi drivers have used them for decades. I balance every tire I own except the tractors:))))

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
From what tire engineers have told me, beads seem to have a place in some over the road truck tires.

Given that they are less expensive to manufacture, ship and install, I think that they would be widely used by tire companies and retailers if they offered a clear advantage or reasonable alternative to lead weights on smaller tire/wheel combinations.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Has anyone heard of dynabeads "disintegrating" (melting if you will) when they come in contact with certain tire mounting lubes & forming a sort of "Glob"? I ask this because we purchased a bike awhile back that when riding the front felt like you were going down RR tracks, when we inspected the front tire we found this "Glob" floating around in there, we are not sure,, but it sure looks like The Beads & solution
had a bad reaction, Anyone ever heard of anything like this? If not any Ideas? I have never seen anything like it. Thanks msn

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
First, I would suggest that you remove any weights on the wheel. They make the dyna beads work harder to counter the imbalance. There is only 2 oz in there. As for melting, can't happen. They are made of ceramic! Very hard substance. You might have had some other stuff in there.
Buckskin
If you guys really want to do it right, try the Centramatic balancers. Yes, they cost a lot more, but check out the comments from many on this board, and you will find many positive responses and it stands to reason that they are more dramatic in how they balance the wheels. They will improve the handling of bike noticably, whereas the dyna beads have nowhere near that seat of the pants feel.

Has anyone heard of dynabeads "disintegrating" (melting if you will) when they come in contact with certain tire mounting lubes & forming a sort of "Glob"? I ask this because we purchased a bike awhile back that when riding the front felt like you were going down RR tracks, when we inspected the front tire we found this "Glob" floating around in there, we are not sure,, but it sure looks like The Beads & solution
had a bad reaction, Anyone ever heard of anything like this? If not any Ideas? I have never seen anything like it. Thanks msn

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
My first guess is that someone put some sort of sealant inside the tire before or after adding the beads. What's wrong with conventional balancing?
It's good enough for race cars and for Honda...

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
My first guess is that someone put some sort of sealant inside the tire before or after adding the beads. What's wrong with conventional balancing?
It's good enough for race cars and for Honda...
What's wrong with using Dyna Beads? Seems you have some agenda and hate em'. I think weights are ugly, I want a clean looking rim.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
What's wrong with using Dyna Beads? Seems you have some agenda and hate em'. I think weights are ugly, I want a clean looking rim.
I have absolutely nothing against the beads or those who buy them. In fact, I wish I had invented them and admire the marketing. ;)

I think that they may serve a purpose on/in some over the road truck tires, especially on drive axles. Even a couple (or more?) tire manufacturers agree, though I am aware of none who recommend them for M/C, passenger car or light truck tire/wheel assemblies.

·
Banned
3,197 Posts
A buddy and myself installed dyna-beads with new tires hoping the beads would extend the life of the tires (As in less cupping over more miles. The cupping eventually causes tire howl going into corners to the point where it becomes so loud it detracts from the quality of the ride and eventually SCREAMING "replace the tires", even when the tread appears to offer more road mile capacity).

Based on the results (cupping) the beads did not give either of us more miles on the new Stones. We still ended up replacing the tires at 8-10K because of cupping and tire noise.

Do they balance the tires when moving? Sure. Do the tires feel slightly out of balance on "take-off" because the beads are all sitting at the bottom of the rims? Yeah.

Would I buy them again? No.

_______

Air pressure? Honda dealers say 41/41, Bridgestone says something else and the Goldwing trunk lid says even something else. Tried all combinations and check air pressure before every ride.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I've used them after several tire changes. But I load up the clear tube using the bottle then disconnect the bottle and blow the beads in with my compressor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just put 2 oz of Dyna beads in each tire on my 05. The tires have about 2000 miles on them balanced the 'old fashioned' way, so time will tell what the end result will be. Next step is to put some miles on it, and see if I can tell a difference. I'm guessing I might not, since the tires are probably still pretty well balanced via the weights. I expect that where the beads will really shine is when the balance starts to change as they wear.

For now, I also left the weights on. I read a comment on here where that asks the beads to do more work, and I'm not sure I agree. Since the external weights did improve the balance of the combo, it would seem that there is less work for the beads to do, not more. My thought is that they will only be required to make up for the change in balance as wear occurs. If I took the weights off, the 2 oz's of beads would be required to first replace the weights. My other thought was that if I were ever to have a flat, beads could well escape, and I'd be glad I had the weights there as I ride the plugged tire to the tire store.

I guess the main reason that I left them on there is that I couldn't think of a reason to take them off.

Also, in response to some of the other threads, here are some of my first impressions

Dynabeads causing damage to the tire. I just don't see it happening. They are really, really, really tiny, and as such, don't have much mass. Since mass is key in any calculation of force, I don't see how any one bead could do any damage, and I also don't see them 'ganging up', but even if they did, it would spread the force of impact over a much wider area, again minimizing the problem.

Air soft BB's. I could see how they might well work, but I don't see them as being a replacement for dyna beads. They are a lot bigger, not as durable, and the cost of the dyna's is so minimal, I don't see why I'd try. And I'd have to imagine that getting the bb's through the valve stems.

Recovering dynabeads. I get the 'make a mess on the floor thing', and someone mentioned drilling a hole in the tire before dismount, and pouring them into a container. I get that, but again, the cost is so low, I'm ok considering them one time use.

Centramatics vs. dynabeads. I have no real experience with either, but they do seem to be based on largely the same concept. The centramatics work nearer the center of the wheel, so my mind says they need more weight to toss around. I could also see where if you gave them enough weight, they could outperform a given qty of dyna beads. But then I suppose I could just add more beads. Centramatics are permanent, but again, the cost of beads is low. They also cost more, but I'm not convinced you get more performance. I'm not convinced you don't either.

Dynabeads vs. conventional balance. I sort of addressed this above, but I like the two together, and don't see any reason they won't play nicely. When the tire is new, the dyna's can just roll around in there. As the balance changes, they get to work.

Tire manufacturers don't recommend them. Not surprising, as why would they? Unless they have a financial motive.

Liquids that do the same thing. Be careful here. I ran across a liquid that was supposed to do just that, only to have it damage a set of expensive tires...and you talk about something that really wobbled at startup, especially cold. Itty bitty absolutely non-reactive ceramic beads is one thing, some sort of liquid, not so good.

Just my thoughts,

Toby

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I just put 2 oz of Dyna beads in each tire on my 05. The tires have about 2000 miles on them balanced the 'old fashioned' way, so time will tell what the end result will be. Next step is to put some miles on it, and see if I can tell a difference. I'm guessing I might not, since the tires are probably still pretty well balanced via the weights. I expect that where the beads will really shine is when the balance starts to change as they wear.

For now, I also left the weights on. I read a comment on here where that asks the beads to do more work, and I'm not sure I agree. Since the external weights did improve the balance of the combo, it would seem that there is less work for the beads to do, not more. My thought is that they will only be required to make up for the change in balance as wear occurs. If I took the weights off, the 2 oz's of beads would be required to first replace the weights. My other thought was that if I were ever to have a flat, beads could well escape, and I'd be glad I had the weights there as I ride the plugged tire to the tire store.

I guess the main reason that I left them on there is that I couldn't think of a reason to take them off.

Also, in response to some of the other threads, here are some of my first impressions

Dynabeads causing damage to the tire. I just don't see it happening. They are really, really, really tiny, and as such, don't have much mass. Since mass is key in any calculation of force, I don't see how any one bead could do any damage, and I also don't see them 'ganging up', but even if they did, it would spread the force of impact over a much wider area, again minimizing the problem.

Air soft BB's. I could see how they might well work, but I don't see them as being a replacement for dyna beads. They are a lot bigger, not as durable, and the cost of the dyna's is so minimal, I don't see why I'd try. And I'd have to imagine that getting the bb's through the valve stems.

Recovering dynabeads. I get the 'make a mess on the floor thing', and someone mentioned drilling a hole in the tire before dismount, and pouring them into a container. I get that, but again, the cost is so low, I'm ok considering them one time use.

Centramatics vs. dynabeads. I have no real experience with either, but they do seem to be based on largely the same concept. The centramatics work nearer the center of the wheel, so my mind says they need more weight to toss around. I could also see where if you gave them enough weight, they could outperform a given qty of dyna beads. But then I suppose I could just add more beads. Centramatics are permanent, but again, the cost of beads is low. They also cost more, but I'm not convinced you get more performance. I'm not convinced you don't either.

Dynabeads vs. conventional balance. I sort of addressed this above, but I like the two together, and don't see any reason they won't play nicely. When the tire is new, the dyna's can just roll around in there. As the balance changes, they get to work.

Tire manufacturers don't recommend them. Not surprising, as why would they? Unless they have a financial motive.

Liquids that do the same thing. Be careful here. I ran across a liquid that was supposed to do just that, only to have it damage a set of expensive tires...and you talk about something that really wobbled at startup, especially cold. Itty bitty absolutely non-reactive ceramic beads is one thing, some sort of liquid, not so good.

Just my thoughts,

Toby
Plopping a lil bag of beads in a tire when mounting it requires no special equipment as is required for conventional balancing or training [which is costly to the store] and judging from reports of prices paid that I see on the internet, should be at least as profitable. Some tire manufacturers do give a nod to beads for heavy over the road truck tires in certain situations. As you mentioned, none that I am aware of recommend beads for light duty tires.

That said, if you like beads, more power to you. I personally have had no problems with conventional balancing methods.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Plopping a lil bag of beads in a tire when mounting it requires no special equipment as is required for conventional balancing or training [which is costly to the store] and judging from reports of prices paid that I see on the internet, should be at least as profitable. Some tire manufacturers do give a nod to beads for heavy over the road truck tires in certain situations. As you mentioned, none that I am aware of recommend beads for light duty tires.

That said, if you like beads, more power to you. I personally have had no problems with conventional balancing methods.
Maybe you missed the part where I am in favor of both conventional balancing, and beads, used at the same time. I believe it would prove better than rebalancing with wear, over the long run. Could also be quite beneficial if one were to throw a weight someplace where motorcycle tire balancing is not readily available.

As for the financial motivation, I was referring to the tire manufacturers, not the retail outlets. I have known several retail outlets to recommend dyna beads, or their equivalents, usually in conjunction with, but sometimes in place of conventional balancing, in both cars and bikes. I had a Hummer H1, and once you took out the milliary run flats (big slabs of magnesium), it was often very difficult to get them to balance with anything but bags of beads. Until a tire manufacturer can patent and market beads along with their tires, I don't see any of them recommending them.

Toby

·
Registered
440 Posts
i have been running these beads in the last 4 sets of tires...love um...will not install a set without,,where i really notice them is around 10k,, usually get around 15k out of set of tires,,,Avon Cobras..same from E3s,,,smooth ride all the way throw.. only bad thing i found with the beads is at :shock:120mph they seem to get out of balance:shock:,,,up to that point,,,all goods...i even have them in my cargo trailer that i pull with bike.:coffee1:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Maybe you missed the part where I am in favor of both conventional balancing, and beads, used at the same time. I believe it would prove better than rebalancing with wear, over the long run. Could also be quite beneficial if one were to throw a weight someplace where motorcycle tire balancing is not readily available.

As for the financial motivation, I was referring to the tire manufacturers, not the retail outlets. I have known several retail outlets to recommend dyna beads, or their equivalents, usually in conjunction with, but sometimes in place of conventional balancing, in both cars and bikes. I had a Hummer H1, and once you took out the milliary run flats (big slabs of magnesium), it was often very difficult to get them to balance with anything but bags of beads. Until a tire manufacturer can patent and market beads along with their tires, I don't see any of them recommending them.

Toby
I'm not sure where you are going with this, "As for the financial motivation, I was referring to the tire manufacturers, not the retail outlets." Tire manufacturers do recommend balancing [as needed] and reap no financial rewards from sales by retail outlets that use conventional balancing. What is the financial disincentive to tire manufacturers for recommending beads?

I have no doubt that some tire retailers/installers sell beads. Some also sell nitrogen for tire inflation. <g>

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not sure where you are going with this, "As for the financial motivation, I was referring to the tire manufacturers, not the retail outlets." Tire manufacturers do recommend balancing [as needed] and reap no financial rewards from sales by retail outlets that use conventional balancing. What is the financial disincentive to tire manufacturers for recommending beads?

I have no doubt that some tire retailers/installers sell beads. Some also sell nitrogen for tire inflation. <g>
The financial disincentive is liability, and this would hold true for any particular balancing method. Do you know of any tire manufacturers that recommend any particular balancing technology? Road force vs. dynamic vs. match mounting, vs ?? What about weights...stick on, clip on, lead free or even beads? I've never heard it, and I come from a performance automotive background, most recently with a professional automotive race team. If a manufacturer were to get on board with any one technology, they would be opening themselves up to even more liability than they have now. Until they can profit enough from such a recommendation to make that worthwhile, they just won't.

Nitrogen is a good example. I'm guessing that the <g> you put after that comment is because you don't agree with using nitrogen in passenger cars. Well, I can't disagree with you there. In the race car, we wouldn't have considered using anything but (most series rules even required it), but I can't see enough advantage to using it in a passenger car to justify the hassle and expense. But I also don't think it hurts anything. But I can remember being at the SEMA show a number of years ago, when nitrogen in passenger cars was 'new' technology. The standard tire manufacturer line was 'we don't recommend it for street use'. I think it's pretty safe to say that putting in 100% of what air is already 78% composed of couldn't possibly do any harm, but tire manufacturers weren't taking the chance. Now that is is widely 'accepted' I'd suspect they might at least say it's 'ok', but I doubt you'll find many actual 'recommendations' especially not in writing.

I do believe that dyna beads might well help, especially when combined with quality conventional balancing, and I certainly don't believe that they can hurt anything. If I had the same relatively easy access to nitrogen for my tires ($15 for both, done in my garage, lasts the life of the tires), and thought it had the same potential for good, I'd probably use it, as well.

My only real point was that I don't see a lack of recommendation from a tire manufacturer as a good reason to not do something. But more importantly, I was just offering my views on dyna beads. You have yours, and others will form theirs, and I completely respect that. If we all just agreed on everything, globes would still look like dinner plates :)

Toby

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have used air soft bb's in my last four gl 1800,i now have them in my 2012 with no problem.
Out of curiosity, are you running BB's with regular balance weights, or just bb's? How much (ounces) are you running in each tire? Did you put them in and then mount the tire, or did you get them in through the valve stems? What does two tires worth cost? I'm just looking for data, not making any judgements.

As I said, I could see how they might well work, and work well, at that. I would also imagine sand (pure silica) and lots of other things might work, as well. I think smaller particles would be better, as it would be easier to get a more exact 'weight per tire area required', but I'm not sure the butt dyno (or in this case, the butt balance machine) would be able to tell the difference. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the current dyna beads are based on some level of trial and error, that started with something commonly available.

Toby

61 - 80 of 90 Posts