GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Crap! Am I missing something here? I just received my new CB/Ant and the instructions have me disassembling the top shelf, trunk, both front side pockets and tons of other stuff. Is there a way of installing this CB without disassembling the bike? I went out to the garage and thought, I'll start on it tonight and finish in the morning......man was I wrong. The bike is an 08 Audio. Any advice???:shrug:

·
Registered
645 Posts
LOL -- yeah, You do need to remove the seat, and the top shelter... The CB Requires noise filters that get plugged into the radiator fans and elsewhere -- of course if you don't want to install the filters you can put up with terrible CB Performanc :)..... Really, take your time and do the CB Install yourself - it shouldn't take but maybe 3 or 4 hours TOPS - (That's if you Really really really take your time).

ALSO Make very sure you have an 'excellent' ground for the antena.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
If you've never torn into the bike before, removed the seat or top shelter, it can be a daunting task. You do not need to remove the trunk, but the seat is a must and the top shelter is debatable. All the CB's I've installed, I have taken of the top shelter. It makes the install a little easier and it's a great learning experience.

If you're unsure about about taking the task on, let me know. You're welcome to bring the bike to the house, we can install it and I can teach you a few tips and tricks along the way.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Depending on how many miles you have this might be a good time to change air filter while the top shelter is off.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
You don't have to remove the trunk or the top shelter. The plugs for the CB are here

AND HERE

·
Registered
12 Posts
not much trouble..........

I did it and it was the first time I ever "tore" into my wing. Just watch the tech video and take ur time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy Crap! Am I missing something here? I just received my new CB/Ant and the instructions have me disassembling the top shelf, trunk, both front side pockets and tons of other stuff. Is there a way of installing this CB without disassembling the bike? I went out to the garage and thought, I'll start on it tonight and finish in the morning......man was I wrong. The bike is an 08 Audio. Any advice???:shrug:
Wade
You don't need to remove any of the bags, fender, etc. Just drill the hole in the CB compartment in the base of the trunk and route new cables to the area of the seat. You will have to remove the left side pocket to route the antena wire throught the hole behind the pocket. That's all, don't remove the right side. As far as the front gas tank cover, do as stated in the other replys, or at most remove the two nuts at the base of the cover by the gas tank sensor and prop it up about two inches with something, then plug in the main cable and the two filters as shown.
My installation only took about an hour and it was the first time I did one.
Why they tell you to remvoe all the rear moldings, side pockets, fender, etc is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I ordered the CB and antenna and am awaiting their arrival. I may never be able to ride my Wing again, but am going to try to do the install. :lol:

Jimso4 mentioned something about noise filters?????? I do not have a clue about that kind of stuff so would appreciate a little explanation to help me along, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

I have a ground loop isolator to install but haven't gotten that done yet. As a matter of fact, I had planned to take up Black Pirate on his offer to help me. :-( Will the GLI take care of the noise issue or do I need to order something else???

TIA for any suggestions.

Todd

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Installing CB and antenna

As I and friend just did this to our 08's. You will need to remove the seat though to install one of the filters along with drilling the hole for the cables. The CB cables are routed under the seat.

We did not remove the left speaker housing nor drill a hole for the antenna wire. You have plenty of room in the trunk and routed the wire along the back.

The hardest step in this install was the job of removing the top shelter to point being able to install the 2 filters that need to be inserted by the radiator fans.
A word of caution about the removal of the top shelter. Trying to follow Fred's video for removing the top shelter did not work for the 08's as the dash removal is differnet. Once we were able to figure out how to remove the dash, we able to lift the shelter up high enough making installing the filters easy.

Take your time and you too can be proud of your job.

Dennie

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As I and friend just did this to our 08's. You will need to remove the seat though to install one of the filters along with drilling the hole for the cables. The CB cables are routed under the seat.

We did not remove the left speaker housing nor drill a hole for the antenna wire. You have plenty of room in the trunk and routed the wire along the back.

The hardest step in this install was the job of removing the top shelter to point being able to install the 2 filters that need to be inserted by the radiator fans.
A word of caution about the removal of the top shelter. Trying to follow Fred's video for removing the top shelter did not work for the 08's as the dash removal is differnet. Once we were able to figure out how to remove the dash, we able to lift the shelter up high enough making installing the filters easy.

Take your time and you too can be proud of your job.

Dennie
Dennie, thank you! Your suggestions are understood and will be most helpful I am sure. I appreciate you posting.
:thumbup:

BTW, I have Fred's updated CD's for the 2008 model and will review them before I begin the install.

Todd

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I just finished mine this weekend on the '09. It was much more difficult than the '02 ... front end wise. It was a lot more difficult squeezing in to install the filter, but that just mean extra time sweating ...

And, of course, when I finished up the install of the CB and antenna, fuzeblock, running lights, spoiler, and the 2 power outlets ... and went to test everything before buttoning back up ... discovered that I misplaced the old-style CB connector to new-style connector I need to hook up the SWR meter. Sigh. Always something!

But, bottom line ... as the others said ... don't remove everything as per the instructions ... trunk stays on, and you can -- with much wiggling and patience, get the connectors connected without pulling the shelter totally. (I did undo it much further than just the two bolts at the tank ... got big hands!)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
By far the easiest CB "Antenna" to install is the Sierra Electronics, dule radio/CB antenna. No drilling and only one whip. If the black antenna is to your liking:shrug:... for me it is.:thumbup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
By far the easiest CB "Antenna" to install is the Sierra Electronics, dule radio/CB antenna. No drilling and only one whip. If the black antenna is to your liking:shrug:... for me it is.:thumbup:
Works well too!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you've never torn into the bike before, removed the seat or top shelter, it can be a daunting task. You do not need to remove the trunk, but the seat is a must and the top shelter is debatable. All the CB's I've installed, I have taken of the top shelter. It makes the install a little easier and it's a great learning experience.

If you're unsure about about taking the task on, let me know. You're welcome to bring the bike to the house, we can install it and I can teach you a few tips and tricks along the way.
Thanks for the offer Bart. I completed the install this morning and all went well. As suggested I took my time and labeled everything. See you at the next lunch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts