GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing Extreme LED's, Extreme Series 5D 3" CREE LED Light Pod - Spot Part No. EX-X2-5DS-03-SP and SoCal Motor Sports under mirror brackets, not sure of the part number. The Extreme LED's came with a wiring harness and relay. I have to admit that at first I thought I had to take off the whole top shelter and I wasn't looking forward to it. I ended up just taking off the tupperware on both sides of the bike and the left storage bin and trim and the right trim and the right cover below the speaker that houses the switches for the pre-load adjust and headlight adjust, plus the mirrors.

All-in-all, it wasn't too bad. The hardest part was fishing the bulky wiring through the bike. I did get some additional help that was very much appreciated. The one sticking point I had was where to mount the new switch for the LED driving lights. I wanted it close to my left hand. I wanted it to be as accessible as the OEM light switch (brights or regular). So after much consternation I decided to mount the new switch with a small piece of aluminum angle, 1.5" X 1.5", very close to my left hand, using the top of the CB switch box as my base. See pics. It doesn't look great, but boy is it accessible. For now I am happy with the location.

I did a short test ride around the neighborhood at 0300 this morning (that is when I got done) and the new light seems to be just what I was looking for. They really brighten up the space in front of you.

I also installed an auxiliary fuse block in the trunk. I bought a cheap marine fuse block on Amazon. But the dimensions were comparable to the expensive ones with a built in relay. But I am happy with it. It fits my needs perfectly. Below is the link.

I am including several pics of the installation and finished product.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive tire Engine Car
Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Auto part Pipe Tire Muffler Vehicle
Wire Technology Electronic device Electrical wiring Electronics
Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Car Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Family car

· Registered
1,129 Posts
I may have to do this if my EC high output LED driving lights aren't enough.(y)

· Registered
2012 Gl1800 with Champion IRS trike conversion
28 Posts
I may have to do this if my EC high output LED driving lights aren't enough.(y)
You will do better if you install HID lights in the bike because are brighter than leds. But Most people feel the EC leds are bright enough including myself. :)

· Registered
172 Posts
You will do better if you install HID lights in the bike because are brighter than leds. But Most people feel the EC leds are bright enough including myself. :)
HID lighting is a bad option for the wing as the pattern will blind oncoming traffic. Sure they are brighter but is unnecessary with a good set of EC LEDS.
Plus they are not an effective option for high beams as they have a 10-20 second delay from turn on to full output.
I installed HID bulbs in the projector lights in my ram and they are perfect because they have a mechanical shutter that drops down inside the fixture to cut off the beam. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts