GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having problems installing the recently available software on their bike? I've followed the instructions carefully (I thought), reformatted the USB, copied the large (8.1M) .iso files to my computer, then to USB, but can't get the bike to recognize the files. After plugging in the USB and going to ACC on the ignition switch, the directions state that the dashboard screen will respond with a message within ~1 minute. Immediately after plugging in the USB, I see the USB icon appear on the top of the dashboard, and that's it - no further messages or instructions. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I've tried the time-consuming download 3 times now, and failed every time. Can any of you helpful folks on this board suggest something I haven't done correctly? Thanks! Ride safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you plug in the USB flash drive before or after turning the bike on the ACC position? Try plugging it in before turning the bike on.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
There are several threads here (mostly in the 2018 section) going over a bunch of the issues some have had loading the update.

Have you read thru them and still having trouble?

This is a long read. May be of help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you plug in the USB flash drive before or after turning the bike on the ACC position? Try plugging it in before turning the bike on.
Per the installation instructions, I plugged the USB in BEFORE turning the bike to ACC. Tried this process several times, checked connection each time, got the USB icon on the dashboard each time, but no "recognition" message to continue with installation. Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@subvet18 ... I just installed it without issue not 5 minutes ago, 2019 Goldwing Tour 6 speed manual... One thing that I know for SURE would be a problem... Did you format the drive as NTSF rather than FAT32?... The bike reads NTSF formatted USB drives... Also, use the cheapest USB drive you can find that does not have any "security" software already installed on it... Verbatim or any other cheap drive will work... Sandisk, Samsung and other "brand names" are problematic... Also, the .iso file must be copied to the ROOT directory of the drive... Not inside of a "folder" on the drive... Check all of these and the update should install without issue. My bike recognized the file within 45 seconds, rebooted and started the install ... The install will take about 30 minutes... Stay with the bike and WATCH it install... Once it is done, do not turn off the bike ... Let it reboot and when it boots to the radio and you hear music, immediately unplug the USB drive... Let me know if this helps...

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
@subvet18 ... I just installed it without issue not 5 minutes ago, 2019 Goldwing Tour 6 speed manual... One thing that I know for SURE would be a problem... Did you format the drive as NTSF rather than FAT32?... The bike reads NTSF formatted USB drives... Also, use the cheapest USB drive you can find that does not have any "security" software already installed on it... Verbatim or any other cheap drive will work... Sandisk, Samsung and other "brand names" are problematic... Also, the .iso file must be copied to the ROOT directory of the drive... Not inside of a "folder" on the drive... Check all of these and the update should install without issue. My bike recognized the file within 45 seconds, rebooted and started the install ... The install will take about 30 minutes... Stay with the bike and WATCH it install... Once it is done, do not turn off the bike ... Let it reboot and when it boots to the radio and you hear music, immediately unplug the USB drive... Let me know if this helps...
After the radio comes back on you can wait and it will again ask you if you want to update. (took 60 seconds on mine)
That screen will show the same (new) file numbers in both the 'from' and the 'to' locations - I guess to verify that the new one is installed. Of course you need to say NO this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After the radio comes back on you can wait and it will again ask you if you want to update. (took 60 seconds on mine)
That screen will show the same (new) file numbers in both the 'from' and the 'to' locations - I guess to verify that the new one is installed. Of course you need to say NO this time.
Correct... Which is why I mentioned that it's ok to just unplug the USB drive after it reboots... ☺

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much, drmtodd. I did format it in NTSF, but I did use a new SanDisk USB. When I downloaded the software (NOT to the root directory), the resultant download file did not have the ".iso" file tag (only the disk image icon and "swdl") so I have a few things to look into. I'm pretty familiar with computer programs (like the Office suite), but not so familiar with the system architecture. Really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are several threads here (mostly in the 2018 section) going over a bunch of the issues some have had loading the update.

Have you read thru them and still having trouble?

This is a long read. May be of help.

Thank you, Farmguy - I haven't read through that link, but I will now. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Thanks very much, drmtodd. I did format it in NTSF, but I did use a new SanDisk USB. When I downloaded the software (NOT to the root directory), the resultant download file did not have the ".iso" file tag (only the disk image icon and "swdl") so I have a few things to look into. I'm pretty familiar with computer programs (like the Office suite), but not so familiar with the system architecture. Really appreciate your help!
Move it to the root and it will probably work.

Your computer has the setting to hid the file extension turned on (so you can't 'see' the .iso part.
(so dDon't add a 2nd .iso to the filename)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Move it to the root and it will probably work.

Your computer has the setting to hid the file extension turned on (so you can't 'see' the .iso part.
(so dDon't add a 2nd .iso to the filename)
I will try that, Farmguy - thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts