GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very much interested in switching over once I figure out exactly which tire I want. My question is this with a tad bit of a preface.

I have absolutley no desire, make that, I will not change the tire myself or even take it off to take it somewhere. I get extremely frustrated a pissed off when doing any kind of mechanical work, hate it with a passion.

That being said, I most likely won't be going to a dealer to get the tire changed, would be surprised if they do it. Taking it to another shop is there anything I would need to tell the folks specific to the wing when they do the work? Such as extra parts that should be removed to make it easier or not cause damage, special instructions for actually mounting the tire to the rim, ect...

Any help / tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
You may have trouble find a honda shop that will do it for you. That said, you might try an independent shop. Changing a rear tire/wheel on a wing is a simple as doing it on a car, except you can't lay the car on it's side to remove the tire/wheel.

The first thing is to find someone who will mount the tire you want on the wings rear wheel. From there it is a cake walk. I have used Walmart as well as major automobile tire dealers to install the tire on the rim.

Send a PM if you like and I'll give you my number if you wish to discuss.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Fuse, as TravelinLite said it real easy to change out the wheel by laying it down...

I know ya know a lot about the wing but it sounds like you may have never laid one over to change the rear tire before???

Put something down just in case you go to far, and lay her over on the right crash bares, then go around to the bottom and pull the center stand out all the way, you’ll have to rise her up an inch or so to get it all extended and then turn on the ignition long enough to put her in reverse (you can do this step before you lay her over also) and use your socket and barker bar to take the lugs off...

Normally the plastic never touches the ground... :thumbup:

As Richard this is as easy or easier than changing a car tire on a car...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Fuse, I live close to you in Annapolis (Severna Park) and I recently went to the dark side as well. Now running a Pirelli Euforia RF which I bought at MR Tire in Severna Park and they installed it for me for free and let me watch the tech do it. I am using dynabeads I got from Shinhopples and put them in myself.

Rob is the manager at MR Tire and I was the first CT he installed but he is a good guy and will do it for you, no questions asked. Maybe you could have the MGR at a MR Tire closer to you call Rob in Severna Park if they have any concerns. After I put the wheel on, I rode to MR Tire and all the techs came out to the parking lot to see the CT on my wing......all thought it was "way-cool".

I also posted a lengthy first ride review if you want to read it......

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278576

Anyway, call me if you want to discuss or if I can be of any help. 410-336-5133.

Brad

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
It don't get much easier than that!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That reminds me, I need to go out and put my G-Max on a rim!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Ray, get Rick to help you change it out. He loves CTs.:lol::joke:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it's easy - I just really really really hate turning wrenches. No matter how easy I hate it. I honestly would rather pay someone to do it. I know for some it seems like a waste of $$ but for me it's worth 70 bucks an hour to not have to do that. I really only turn a wrench as a last resort, I just freaking hate it.

I thought I read that sometimes you have to loosen the left side exhaust to squeeze the tire in, or don't inflate first. Those are the kind of tips I was looking for.

Could a motorcycle shop even mount the car tire? I have no idea if machines are different between MC tire mounting and Car tire mounting, are they? I have a couple shops in mind that as long as the equipment is the same I bet they will do it for me.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I know it's easy - I just really really really hate turning wrenches. No matter how easy I hate it. I honestly would rather pay someone to do it. I know for some it seems like a waste of $$ but for me it's worth 70 bucks an hour to not have to do that. I really only turn a wrench as a last resort, I just freaking hate it.

I thought I read that sometimes you have to loosen the left side exhaust to squeeze the tire in, or don't inflate first. Those are the kind of tips I was looking for.

Could a motorcycle shop even mount the car tire? I have no idea if machines are different between MC tire mounting and Car tire mounting, are they? I have a couple shops in mind that as long as the equipment is the same I bet they will do it for me.
I am really lucky my dealer has no problem with changing and mounting CT's They do many seems a lot of the guy's with Burgman's are switching over faster than we are LOL. I do take my own tire off using the lay over method. I can do a swap because I have spare rims in less than ten minutes now. I have never had to let the air out of any tire I mounted so far. I also run a 195/55/16 so its about the same size as a MT. I also run tires that weigh about the same as a MT which makes them all NRF. But so far no troubles no bubbles LOL

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
The force is calling you!
Grab a wrench and get that rear wheel off!
Rail, quick! send Fuse a Darksider cookie!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Fuse............ride over to my house and I will take your wheel off for you, drive you two blocks to Mr Tire, get it mounted, bring you back, and put your wheel back on for you. I live 20 miles from you. Bring your own tire or order it from Rob at MR tire and we will go when it is in stock. (one day to order):thumbup: Will do it all for a diet pepsi......oh shux, forget about the pepsi.

You won't even have to get your hands dirty.

Jus sayin........................

PS Crofton Powersports (full line honda dealer) will mount a car tire on your bike for $30, wheel off or $70 wheel on the bike.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuse............ride over to my house and I will take your wheel off for you, drive you two blocks to Mr Tire, get it mounted, bring you back, and put your wheel back on for you. I live 20 miles from you. Bring your own tire or order it from Rob at MR tire and we will go when it is in stock. (one day to order):thumbup: Will do it all for a diet pepsi......oh shux, forget about the pepsi.

Brad - I'm gonna take you up on your offer. I would feel much more comfortable doing it the first time with someone who has done it before. Ill give you a call tomorrow to figure it all out.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Atta Boy:thumbup: 410-336-5133

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

PS Crofton Powersports (full line honda dealer) will mount a car tire on your bike for $30, wheel off or $70 wheel on the bike.
Can't beat that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Bulitt - I'm gonna go with the Perelli as well. Gonna get it from Mr Tire next to you. To late to call right now. Am I looking at around $160-180 mark?

Seems about right...think I paid $180. Ask for Rob the manager and order a Pirelli Euforia Run Flat 195/55/16. Tell him it is for a wing and you will bring in the wheel to switch it.....tell him you were referred by Brad Coston (the other guy who put a CT on a wing wheel a month ago). He will have to order it, it is not a stock tire.

Order 3,-OZ of dynabeads from Shinhopples or pick them up at Crofton Powersports and I will put them in for you or we can put them in at tire installation.

Make sure your bike has less than a half tank of gas when we do this because we will lay her on her side to get the wheel off.

Call me to discuss.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts