GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished putting a Roady XM on the bike. Wanted it detachable. so it could be removed quickly in case of rain, moved to the car, or whatever. Here is where it wound on the bike: Right Brake Reservior. I chose the right side because the cords come out of the left side of the Roady, and I wanted them toward the center of the bike. The other side of the bike would have been a lot easier.

One of the tings I was concerned about was reported interference with the Garmin GPS antenna signal being stepped on. They appear to get along just fine, as I remounted the GPS V on the left Clutch Reservior. The signal strength with Roady on and engine running is just fine.

I got a short length of aluminum bar stock (3/8'X3") and cut it to the same length as the clutch reservior top, rounded the corners, drilled and countersunk the two mounting holes, made it black, and replaced the current rounded tops. I happen to have switch blocks under there also, so they just stacked up, but work either way. I then made the mounting bracket from aluminum to hold the Roady bracket and the antenna. Antenna is held on with Velcro, but in retrospect steel would have been better, because the antenna magnets would have worked. Also, if the antenna base would have been bent rearward, antenna would be right over the Roady.

Another good reason to set the antenna rearward is windshield clearance with the mount. This way this one is shown will not clear a Tulsa, and only clears the stock windshield by a half inch.

But, all in all, it looks OK, is simple, easy and not expensive. I still need to take the old GPS V mount off the dash, so I got room for something else. Maybe a TV screen?

Well, the sun is out ant its time for about a Hundred mile road test. Thinking of you, Dawg, because mine is done. And its warm out.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
IR Harry said:
Just got finished putting a Roady XM on the bike. Wanted it detachable... I still need to take the old GPS V mount off the dash, so I got room for something else. Maybe a TV screen?
Looks good Harry! :clap2:

How about a rear-view LCD screen for the dash mount? Then you can see where you're going, and where you've been!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rearview screen

Jon - You are right on seeing where I've been.

The problem right now is I have no idea in the
world where I am going, or when I will get there.

Can we get that on a screen?????? With 12volt Power?
:yes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures... it looks like a nice installation. It caught my attention because I have a Roady and GPS V that I need to get installed before spring.

I have the interference problem between the Roady and the GPS like some of the others have reported, but Delphi is supposed to be sending me a "new and improved" unit under warranty and I'm hoping that takes care of the problem. I'd like to mount the GPS on the dash so it is more in my line of sight when riding.

Dave

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Radio

Cheez Harry its starting to look like the cockpit of an airplane.

LOOKIN GOOD

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roady

It IS supposed to look like an aircraft cockpit....Its a WING
Now if I can get the undercarrage to retract...:lol:

Hey DaveY, you saw the mount I have left over on the dash...I think it was a VP, but you know how CRS is.....I have not cut it up yet, so if you want it, you can have it for the postage. Phone is 541 888 5439. Let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Roady

Harry,

Thanks for the offer but I already bought a dash mount bracket for the GPS V. It looks like the same one you have.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts