GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up removing the top shelter to access the speed sensor plug and route all of the wires. I'm actually getting pretty good at taking off the top half of the bike. I had to set it at -6% to get accurate speed readings at 65mph. Now it agrees with my portable GPS up to 70mph which is as fast as I've tested it. It works great but took me longer to install than I planned. OH YEAH, this is partly because I dropped one of the top shelter rear nuts into the abyss and spend 30 minutes looking for and retrieving it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the Speedohealer v4 but I did not take any pictures. The plug is white (3-wire) and is located below the right fairing vent near where the rider's right knee would rest. I could see the rubber boot covering several connectors if I looked down into the fairing after removing the right pocket. I couldn't begin to reach the plug, though. I tried removing the seat and then the right rear nut on the top shelter to access the plug as was suggested by another board member. This didn't give me enough access to even see the plug, much less reach it. Once all the plastic was removed, the installation was a piece of cake. Just FYI, there are two plugs under the boot that will both fit the Speedohealer harness. One has 2 wires and the other has 3. You want the one with 3 wires.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I ended up removing the top shelter to access the speed sensor plug and route all of the wires. I'm actually getting pretty good at taking off the top half of the bike. I had to set it at -6% to get accurate speed readings at 65mph. Now it agrees with my portable GPS up to 70mph which is as fast as I've tested it. It works great but took me longer to install than I planned. OH YEAH, this is partly because I dropped one of the top shelter rear nuts into the abyss and spend 30 minutes looking for and retrieving it.
Interesting. As I recall, I did not have to take the top shelter off to connect the Dakota Digital calibrator I installed years ago on my '04. The device had OEM connectors on it, and I accessed the speed sensor connector without having to remove the top shelter.

I still think it's obscene that we have to buy and install these aftermarket kludges to get our instruments to read correctly.

BAD ON YOU, MOTHER HONDA (and all the rest of the OEMs that insist on selling inaccurate speedometers)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their website says to set it at -5.2% for Gold Wings but I set mine at -6.0% after checking my speedo against my portable GPS. For my bike, -6.0% was perfect and my speedometer is dead on at 65mph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.