GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a kicker pxa300.4 amp today on my NON tour goldwing. The entire process required no cutting or modifying the factory wiring Incase a warranty issue were to be questioned. Right now the amp is only powering the rear speakers which are the new model show chrome 4.5” with the NEO magnets. I installed these speakers with the factory amp and you could barely even tell the speakers were playing at volume on 25. The fronts over power the rears. So I decided to add an amp. I already had the amp from a install on my kids rzr so I said what the heck, might as well try something. The kicker amp is not powering the fronts, the fronts are still on the factory amp. I will upgrade the front speakers and run new wires to them when the air filter change come around. The show chrome speakers sound very good to be what they are and cost. The amp power leads are self explanatory. Power to the battery, ground to the frame, and remote turn on to the accessory screw on the top of the fuse block under the seat. To get the hi voltage signal inputs for the amp just unhook each rear speaker, and hook these wires to the Hi input wires in the amp. Then you will run new speaker wires from the output of the amp to each rear speaker. Easy enough. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The amp is very tiny and takes up little space. It’s mounted to a piece of 1/4” mdf scrap board with some scrap black carpet. The board is attached to the saddle bag wall with some industrial Velcro strips from Walmart.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s no comparison anymore. I can easily make the rear totally drown out the fronts while sitting on the bike. I have the gain on the amp adjusted so that the front and rear are equal in volume. The saddle bag enclosures actually give the little 4.5” speakers nice solid mid range now

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some higher quality 5.25 speakers in the front on the new amp would then totally be a night and day difference. Not but 15,000 more miles to go. lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
150 mile ride today about 3 hours and the amp and speakers did fantastic. Able to hear them loud and clear at speeds up to 80 mph in some instances.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and the pictures. I replaced all four speakers on my 2009 a while back and I'm pretty happy with that. I just wish I could get bigger speakers in the rear but that's not going to happen. Just no room. Still debating on adding another amp. It's probably not much but how much heat does that amp throw off?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice upgrade,
Did you set the amp to 4 channel @ 75 watt ea. and just use the rear channels
or are you set to 2 channel @ 150 watt ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The amp is 75x4 at 2ohm stereo. The speakers are 3ohm so the amp is probably providing around 65 watts. I’m running just the rear channels of the amp to the rear speakers . In the winter downtime when I change the air filter and send off my seat I’ll install some 5.25 speakers up front that will require some slight trimming to fit and run the front channels of the amp to the fronts at that time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts