GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Kisan Pathfinder Headlight Modulator on my 2007 ABS GW today, with the help and moral support of a good friend. Took one look at the left high beam and realize all the other posters comments about this being a pain in the a__ were correct. Although I have small hands I had no hope of reaching in such a tight spot and having any skin left on my knuckles, not to mention exceeding my cuss quotient:twisted:. I decided to remove the speaker grill cover assembly then only loosen the top shelter, by taking out all the screws but not removing , thus not having to remove the various wiring plugs. This allowed us to lift the shelter up about 4-5 inches, enough room to reach in under the foot warmer lever bracket in front of the left glovebox.

Also highly suggest test fitting bulb module onto slave and master module. The rounded prong receptacles in the slave and master were very tight, nearly impossible to insert, much less in the confined space of the fairing. As suggested by others, I used a small slotted screwdriver to insert in the female receptacle on the slave and master units to loosen them. On one I actually loosened it too much, but simply took a needle nose plier and squeezed it a bit to tighten it back up. This made the install of the slave and master unit so much easier. Took the opportunity to replace high beam bulbs at same time.

Headed to Washington state/Whidbey Island this week, using lots of secondary roads so will appreciate being more visible, anxious to see how other drivers respond, will try to use responsibly, only when needed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I remember oh so well how much a pain in the A$$ I mean hands it was to install, I'll take the shelter off before I go through that again.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
dont ya just need to take out glove box /acc box to get to bulbs ? dont remember taking off shelter ?? been a while

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont ya just need to take out glove box /acc box to get to bulbs ? dont remember taking off shelter ?? been a while
Yeah, if your a real munchkin. I have smallish hands, right side no problem , just remove glovebox. Left side is the bugger. Just in front of the glovebox on the left side is the triangle shaped bracket for the foot warmer lever, preventing a straight reach thru. To me it was quite impossible without lifting but not removing the top shelter. I can't imagine how you would reach into such a tight spot and push the slave onto the light bulb module. It means you have to take out all the bolts all the way around, but access is so much easier. I was able to lift the shelter, reach in and install, yeti did not have to remove shelter, thus did not have to disconnect the wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I install lots of them, guess I am small enough to get-r-done, LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just installed them on my 2006 with Navi-ABS. The left side is tight due to the foot-warmer lever. However, it is easy and fast to get it out of the way after removing the left pocket.
  1. pull the knob off the lever.
  2. gently pry the cover off the lever base. It is a snap on item.
  3. remove the one phillips screw.
  4. Slide the lever mechanism to the left and it will drop down. move it out of the way. You don't need to disconnect the cable, and probably shouldn't.
I was able to fit my entire XXL right hand into the opening and connect the socket by feel. Took a few minutes and a little cussing, but no blood :)

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Just installed them on my 2006 with Navi-ABS. The left side is tight due to the foot-warmer lever. However, it is easy and fast to get it out of the way after removing the left pocket.
  1. pull the knob off the lever.
  2. gently pry the cover off the lever base. It is a snap on item.
  3. remove the one phillips screw.
  4. Slide the lever mechanism to the left and it will drop down. move it out of the way. You don't need to disconnect the cable, and probably shouldn't.
I was able to fit my entire XXL right hand into the opening and connect the socket by feel. Took a few minutes and a little cussing, but no blood :)
Cool. I'll have to try that. Had the shelter off (for other stuff) upon install of SDC modulator which I modified >CLICK ME<.
Don't know if you can to this to Andy's Kisan.

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I had the Kisan modulators installed, I took the easy way out. I was at Gold Rush in Albuquerque, NM and the Kisan company was there as a vendor. The company president had two Vietnamese men (read VERY TINY HANDS) as his installers. When I came back to the vendor tent a few hours later (read: after more farkle buying and beers), the no-cost installation was complete. The ONLY way to install.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts