GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed hid's and when I started the bike all is O.K. I have a Garmin 550 with Xm. When I use the XM there is a low level hum. t does not increase or decrease with the revs or speed. What to do?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Try relocating your HID ballasts away from the wiring to the Garmin cords or vice versa.

I run a garmin 2720 and I don't hear a hum.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky, The hum is the through the XM part of the GPS.
Most know Hum issues have been related to wires overlapping wire from other devices.

So if your GPS power cord is near other power cords.Or as in the case the HID wires/ballasts/igniter's.this could be your issue.

Try disabling one HID at a time to isolate which side is causing the Hum you are hearing.

They had quick disconnect plugs on them.
If you get rid of the hum?.
Then try moving the GPS power cord away from the HID wiring seeing you have limited location spots with the bulk of the HID ballasts/ignites.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Do you understand that a HID system uses a high frequency chopping oscillator to generate that high voltage? Although the radiation of the resulting "noise" can be minimized with proper shielding if the system is properly designed, there is always a chance of this noise getting into other circuitry on the bike and finding its way into your audio systems.

Improper or corroded grounding connections or having the HID wiring in close physical proximity to other wiring can certainly create the symptoms you describe. It is my personal opinion that you will most likely have a little audio interference with most any HID installation on a motorcycle. Is the lower current draw and the high intensity lighting worth a little bit of audio humm to you? Hope you can figure out how to eliminate all of the noise and maybe recommendations by Rocky, New Jersey Lefty, and others will point you to the solution. Personnally I put HID systems in the "not worth the hassle" category.

Good luck.

:yes1:

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I and a buddy have HIDs, love em. One ballast on his is audibly louder than the other, and induces a hum in his CB/FRS radio when transmitting. You can try wrapping the ballast in aluminum foil, that helps sometimes, and as Rocky indicated try moving the ballast/nearby cables away from each other.

In my case, I replaced the offending ballast due to being noticeably louder airborne as well as induced noise.

Note: you may always have a bit of a hum due to the nature of the beast as Mark indicated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts