GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Pirelli off since I am heading to the Rockies from Alabama this Friday. I was fairly happy with the Pirelli, it has 21,744 miles and measured 4/32nds in several places. From new the tire seemed to require a little more attention to run a straight line comparing it to the Kumho. This afternoon I laid the big bike over and took the Pirelli off and installed the new Michelin. Thanks to this forum telling me the best way to do this as well as doing it with Centramatics in there too. This all took about 20 minutes (Im no mechanic) from the time I laid it down until I picked it up and went for a test drive. I really like the way the Michelin rides, it takes no effort at all to make the curves and seems more like a motorcycle tire in handling (maybe Im just so used to car tires now). The most mileage I ever got from a Motorcycle rear tire was about 8,500 miles. Here are some pictures of the new Michelin and the old Pirelli.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I can see the stripe in your old Pirelli.

Been curious about that Alpin. So one day when you have occassion to run grooved cement roads, would like to know how it acts.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see the stripe in your old Pirelli.

Been curious about that Alpin. So one day when you have occassion to run grooved cement roads, would like to know how it acts.

It concerned me more that it is a winter tire and they make sure you know it when you order it. They post a note that you have to check telling you that it may not perform like a summer tire and you are not to mismatch them. I had some forum members that are running it in the heat and cant see any difference. During this 4500 mile trip I'll bet we will come upon some grooved concrete roads, Ill think of you Kit.

·
IronMan
17,808 Posts
What size you get n what it cost ya sure its more than a dunnie 3000 rf michs suposed to be better let us no on wear n ride enjoy trip n be safe

·
Registered
826 Posts
Michelin Alpin

I run a Michelin Alpin winter tire in the winter and like it very well, I take it off in the summer and run a Kumho RF, like that one also.
Tried a Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire on the front and did not like it except for the good mileage. Now have a Batlax BT 45 on the front and love it.
Andy

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size you get n what it cost ya sure its more than a dunnie 3000 rf michs suposed to be better let us no on wear n ride enjoy trip n be safe
It is a 195/55R16 Run Flat and it cost $139.00 at tirerack.com. I will report on the tire when I return from the Rockies. I sure hope it is sure footed because we will be riding the mountains for several days with little or no guard rails and instant death if you go over the side. (Mt Evans, Pikes Peak, Rockies. Colorado.)

I was really concerned how easy the tire slid into position...usually I have to really position it just right and really shove. This one required none of that. In fact it was so easy that I doubled checked the size to make sure the tire was the correct size and it was. The only thing that I can think of is that I had just washed the wheel with the tire on it and possibly the water reduced the friction on the amp or whatever it always hits on the installation. I will be washing all the CTs I put on from this day forward.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have that tire on my bike and have had no issues riding with it. Running slab across a long bridge that had rain grooves cut in it, never even felt it with the rear tire but did feel it with the front. I just put this tire on a couple months back so havent used it in cold weather. Has performed well in the rain and twisties too.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: Looks good, have a safe trip!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Has anyone used this tire in the Texas heat?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I used one all last Winter in the mountains and it performed flawlessly.

The dire warnings are for cars. Pay them no heed. If you got 20k from the Pirelli, you should get even more from the Michelin. It actually starts with 1/32nd more tread.

Great tire. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used one all last Winter in the mountains and it performed flawlessly.

The dire warnings are for cars. Pay them no heed. If you got 20k from the Pirelli, you should get even more from the Michelin. It actually starts with 1/32nd more tread.

Great tire. :thumbup:
Yep, my bike is now KNEE DEEP in Rubber (on the rear at least)!
We are about to see how this tire handles the Rockies! Leaving on Friday morning

1 - 11 of 11 Posts