GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed monotubes, bushings, seals, and also installed new Bridgestone front tire on my 2008. My problem is that the new tire rubs on the after market fender extension. I assume that it is due to the higher profile of the new tire. Has anyone run into this issue. I may have to cut the fender extension.
Any helpful suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks,
Carlos

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Pics please...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Just a guess, but most of us who have installed the Monotubes noticed the bike riding higher. I would suggest it is the fender extension that is at fault. If the tire is a stock Bridgestone, it is rubbing because of the extra height of the extension in relation to the tire and would need to be trimmed. Hope this helps.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The angle of the lower front fender is adjustable.. sightly.

Loosen the bolts which hold it..
.. at the bottom, pull it away from the wheel
..retighten the bolts

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will try Dennis' suggestion first and if it still rub, I'll file the extension down. Sorry. No pictures, but job was pretty straight forward. Can't go wrong following the factory manual and the instructions from progressive.
Carlos

·
Registered
942 Posts
Let us know how it turned out. Thanks for the information Dennis, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but always willing to learn.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
tire rubbing

If the new tire is a 170 80 18 instead of 170 70 18, it can rub the front fender. Both sizes are available in the bt-45 and I've seen this happen.

·
Premium Member
5,975 Posts
I installed monotubes, bushings, seals, and also installed new Bridgestone front tire on my 2008. My problem is that the new tire rubs on the after market fender extension. I assume that it is due to the higher profile of the new tire. Has anyone run into this issue. I may have to cut the fender extension.
Thanks,
Carlos
This has nothing to do with the suspension work. The problem is caused by the observation you state that this tire has a higher profile. I had exactly the same problem and it cost me a new rear section of the front. Expensive lesson.
The fact that I didn't like the tire after I've had it for a while causes me to say, no more Bridgestones.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks,
Carlos
I ran into the same problem but I hadn't done anything to the front end other than use a different brand of tire. As you mentioned, I just trimmed the extension.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
When I ran the bias ply's up front I had to elongate the front two rear fender mount holes. This allowed me to move out the bottom of the rear fender so it never touched the tire anymore when the tire grew at triple digits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. Ended up filing off about a half inch from the center of the fender extension. It's not noticeable and the problem is fixed.
Carlos

·
Registered
942 Posts
:yes1::yes1: Glad it all worked out for you.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts