GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couldnt wait until 2morrow

the plug is too large to fit through the cb wire hole, so i carved it out a bit

the cd plug is in the same boot as the red diagnostic plug, its the only white rectangular one back there , so it is easy to locate

i put an old microfiber wash cloth around the box, with a couple rubber bands, and it sits on top of the cb, in the cubby hole

it started right up, the tracks move up and down, and sound comes out the speakers just fine

since i like all the songs on my sd card, theres no need for me to move tracks and things, it just switched from song to song just fine

this was a 15 minute test, i cant ride for a while while i am playing nurse maid to laura, so an extended test run for bbq will have to wait

its an easy install, and it does seem to function as planned

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Great! Mine is on the shelf waiting for some other work I want to do.

M

·
0 Posts
Loren, It is good to hear that the unit is working as planned.
I recieved mine today so I will be installing it in the Morning and trying it out, if the rain ever stops long enough for a long ride.
I planned ahead and started to load up my SD card the same day I ordered the unit. ;)

I mounted mine to the plactic cover above the CB and used the same route as the CB wires and the unit works Perfect. This is a must have on the Wing.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is the best money I have spent on my bike. I installed mine and and call the company I was so impressed with the sound quality.I went for a short ride just gonna try it out planned on about 4 or 5 miles it took me 100 miles to get back to the house and smiled all the way.:excited:

D

·
0 Posts
This is the best money I have spent on my bike. I installed mine and and call the company I was so impressed with the sound quality.I went for a short ride just gonna try it out planned on about 4 or 5 miles it took me 100 miles to get back to the house and smiled all the way.:excited:
Pete at BikeMP3 will be glad to hear these types of remarks. Mine is waiting to be installed as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
couldnt wait until 2morrow

the plug is too large to fit through the cb wire hole, so i carved it out a bit

the cd plug is in the same boot as the red diagnostic plug, its the only white rectangular one back there , so it is easy to locate
You mean you had to get the knife on it?:eek:4: I thought this was plug and play?:shrug:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
This looks like a good alternative, and if I wasn't so hopelessy addicted to Ipods, I would probably get one myself.

I have been forever spoiled by the ability of the new Ipod models to generate Genuis Playlists, and Smart Playlists that update themselves on the fly and add and remove songs to the list automatically based on how long it has been since they were last played.

I do like the idea of using SD cards though. That would be a whole lot better than the fixed amount of memory I have on my Nano (16GB). That is probably my biggest complaint against the Ipod.

Will this thing work with the new higher capacity SDHC format SD cards?

·
Registered
602 Posts
JJ - I think Loren's reporting on the routing he chose to run the plug thru.... the opening he fed the plug thru needed a little "widening" - thus the knife.

I don't have CB on my wing & mounted the gizmo in the trunk lid. I have a Kury lid organizer & I found it to fit nicely & snuggly in 1 of the credit card partitions/holders. I too used a knife - to take out a seam of the credit card thingie & slipped the gizmo down into the opening. I zip tied it above & below - so it can't slide up; down; sideways; etc. Easy access to the USB -or- SD ports. It's high'n'dry; outa the way.

I ran my cable down alongside other cables/wiring bundles already in the lid. I notched out a small channel under the trunk lid gasket, to lessen the "pinch factor" on the wires when the lid's shut.

I've been having trouble getting my card reader to load & think, thanks to somebody else's post - that my card reader is probably too old. My card reader's easily 10+ yrs old & had been used to load Nav Charts & routes into a couple avionic GPS's of mine. I'll visit Office Max in a few minutes when they open & see about a new card reader.

I'd been shopping iPods for months...... glad I could never make up my mind on one & waited for this sucker to come along !

adios - Dave / Missourah

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
per freds question

i have mine using a 8gb sdhc card, in theory thats the limit the reader will address

so yes it supports the latest sdhc

as cheap as cards are now, --8gb for $13 delivered recently-- you could afford a few cards and swap them as per your mood if you need more room

another option would be to use flash drives in the same way

yes ipods are great, and a nice toy, this item removes the need to have folks buy an ipod, it reduces the chance of it getting abused in the bike trunk, and still allows good use of your tunes

·
Registered
442 Posts
More Info: Response from Bike MP3: The factory have tested the unit with up to 8GB SDHC cards above 4GB they go to the HC versions.

But important to remember; SDHC cards require SDHC-capable device firmware generally not found with older devices, I.e., older card readers.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More Info: Response from Bike MP3: The factory have tested the unit with up to 8GB SDHC cards above 4GB they go to the HC versions.

But important to remember; SDHC cards require SDHC-capable device firmware generally not found with older devices, I.e., older card readers.
new readers that handle sdhc cards are avaible on ebay for just a few dollars delivered

my new msi wind netbook handles them in its built in drive, but my one year old desktop has a 19 in 1 reader and does not work on sdhc

the ebay one is portable and simple to use, an easy solution

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Got my digital player installed last nite. Works well.

Somebody help me here. With the songs on my MP3 I just hit the shuffle button and off I go. Since the player reads the songs in the order recorded, and my plylists are in alpha order, how do I create a "shuffled" playlist???

·
Registered
602 Posts
dandan - From what I've read previously about the gizmo, shuffle is not a function of the player. It plays your list in the order loaded.

I've got the BikeMP3 instructions in my hand & it doesn't say anything about "shuffle." It advises it'll play thru your loaded playlist & you'll hafta manually advance -or- reverse the order if a song comes up you don't care to listen to.

Shuffle would be nice, but, I think I can learn to live without it. I like the fact that the player is outa sight & you use the handle mounted Tune/Disc CD toggle to select song(s).

Dave / Missoureeeee

·
Registered
171 Posts
i think dandan wants to shuffle them on the stick............not in the device...............i am sure there is a program that shuffle your mp3
have fun with it, its great and works ok:joke:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The shuffle feature does not work. But, there are down and dirty ways to make a "shuffled" playlist. This is what I figured out with mine:

The player plays the songs in date/time order, or the order they were copied to the SD card. If you open a folder full of songs, and press Ctrl-A to highlight all the songs, then click on the very top song in the list and drag it to your SD card, the player will play the songs in the order they appeared in you folder list.

What you can do is, instead of sorting them alphabetically by song name, you can sort them by song length, file size, or any of the other little gray header bars in Windows Explorer. Then select all of them and copy them to your SD card again. It is not truly a shuffle, but it will put them in an order that is something besides alphabetical.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my digital player installed last nite. Works well.

Somebody help me here. With the songs on my MP3 I just hit the shuffle button and off I go. Since the player reads the songs in the order recorded, and my plylists are in alpha order, how do I create a "shuffled" playlist???

go to your computer play list

sort them by another method and run them onto your card

i did the track number of the song from the original album, others could do the length of the song, abc order of the song title, or you could add a column to add a sort number, from 1 to however many you have

lots of choices

·
Registered
410 Posts
My opinion it puts a I Pod to shame . I was using a I Touch it is in the trunk now not being used:excited::thumbup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Unit seems to be DOA. All other audio components function as expected, but the unit is not recognized by the bike. I assume the red dot on one side is a red LED, and it does not illuminate. 3 month old 2008, so I'm pretty confident the bike is good. Any ideas?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unit seems to be DOA. All other audio components function as expected, but the unit is not recognized by the bike. I assume the red dot on one side is a red LED, and it does not illuminate. 3 month old 2008, so I'm pretty confident the bike is good. Any ideas?
the white plug fits pretty hard, maybe its not quite in 100%

1 - 20 of 52 Posts