GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the trunk relocation kit yesterday and Momma is a very happy camper0:)
The installation is a bit of a pita. I have the bushtec hitch so had to drill the support brackets to bolt the spacers on. The traxxion bolts were to short to go through the hitch brackets and sub frame so I had to run to the hardware store and pick some up. All in all a petty nice kit.
One thing that I would suggest is that you use some kind of drill guide when you drill the holes from the underside into the trunk. I missed a little bit on 2 holes and had to oblong them to install the mounting bolts. I also found that when installing the trunk onto the bike, start all 4 bolts before tightening. On the initial install the last bolt was difficult to get lined up, so when I had to take the trunk back off (wires where folded up under it) I started that bolt first and the other 3 lined up good.
Kind of a PITA to put the trunk back together off the bike.
I have the stock seat with a wing soft modification and the wife had no issues. If you have an aftermarket seat that has a butt pocket (Corbin) then moving the trunk might be an issue.
Attached are a couple of pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So now that all the set up work is complete, how long does it take to remove trunk and replace with painted cover?
Don't know did not purchase the cover. I was only interested in moving the trunk back. But here are the steps to remove the trunk.
1 Remove seat
2 unplug trunk harness (2)
3 Remove trunk subframe front bolts
4 Open trunk remove 4 bolts in floor of trunk.
I'd say 15 to 20 minutes. down to 10 after you have done it a couple times.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much additional space did you get?
moves the trunk back 1.5 inches. Seems like more than that when the wife is on it. She said that the distance away from me is comparable to our 2014 wing. The biggest difference for her is that the driver's backrest bracket is not right in her lap anymore

1 - 5 of 5 Posts