GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,
I picked up a swing arm for peanuts on Ebay and am thinking of cutting it in the tread area and re-welding it to give enough room so that a 195/65/16 tire will fit.
Question:
Does this size tire have side clearance problem?
I remember a picture where the tire was rubbing -but cannot find it now?
Why am I trying to do this? I'm crazy... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
'Not sure exactly what you're after. If you are making the swing-arm longer, you will add some clearance to the front left of the wheel well where the rubbing usually occurs. You have an inch or more to the rear to work with. The width of the tire should still fit. The taller sidewalls might be a bit too mushy. I'd highly reccommend run-flats since their sidewalls are stiffer.

G

·
I run a 195x55x16 and it fits and runs just fine - Ideal would be a 180x65x16 as the 195 is a bit to wide. I guess I don't understand why modify a swing arm to fit a tire that's just to big?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I thought it took special kind of equipment to weld that frame!...no?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My guess would be because the 195/65 radius matches very closely with that of the 70 series valkyrie rear tire. The 195/55 is actually a bit smaller in radius than the stock 60 series tire which leads to even more pronounced speedo error and lower effective gearing. The 70 series MC tire corrects the speedometer error and the 195/65's are real close to that in radius.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
For the record, I think you're all retarded to put car tires on your bike.
But you're all over 21 and nobody should spend too much, so here:
Tire search
Search on Mini Cooper S standard or snow tires; they're the right size.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Here is my UNeducated guess: ( I say uneducated because this reasoning was gathered from information on this board and my experience with 70)

I am guessing a 65 is going to push the Wingabego at high speed and make the front end swirly...something like, if you had a very small tire in the front and an enourmous one on the rear, the front end would be very unstable at high speed...
I "think" motorcycles sit on the slab better with higher rake than with shorter--course, that depends on the total geometry of the design....but generally speaking....that is why choppers go very well straight, sit on the highway nicely, but they can't turn worth a crap....

I be willing to bet at least 2 dollars and 50 cents that you wont like the reaction you get from the 65

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leftwinger- You are the only one who got it right.
The only problem now is that the 195/65/16 car tire rubs on one side of the swing arm, Removing some metal and re welding it for more clearance and the tire will work and it will be the same diameter as a 70 series m/c tire.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
leftwinger said:
My guess would be because the 195/65 radius matches very closely with that of the 70 series valkyrie rear tire. The 195/55 is actually a bit smaller in radius than the stock 60 series tire which leads to even more pronounced speedo error and lower effective gearing. The 70 series MC tire corrects the speedometer error and the 195/65's are real close to that in radius.

Just to let you know..I'm running a 195/55/16 Pirelli Euforo Run Flat that is the same size (OD)as my stock E3..

Pirelli R/F next to a New 704 Bridgestone.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... rip200.jpg

I tested my E3 and my speedo was 5 Mph faster than my Garmin 2720.
I again tested my Pirelli,and again the speedo was off by 5 Mph according to my Garmin.

When I was testing my first C/T out,A 195/50/16 Dunlop FM901,and it was 6 Mph faster than my GPS.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
skip h said:
leftwinger- You are the only one who got it right.
The only problem now is that the 195/65/16 car tire rubs on one side of the swing arm, Removing some metal and re welding it for more clearance and the tire will work and it will be the same diameter as a 70 series m/c tire.
Sure that I am not alone in wishing you well on your endeavors with the swing arm, Skip. The significant inaccuracy of the speedo is a major drawback to the 1800. It has always surprised me that Honda has let it slide for so many years.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Rocky,
Thank you so much for the info. I am anticipating a serious degradation in the speedometer area when I mount the Pirelli next week. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see whether the addition of this tire allows me to go exploring some of the dirt roads around here that I have been avoiding due to the poor performance of all the available MC tires out there for the GL1800.

I will do my best to report accurately all of my experiences with the car tire on the rear in order to help others decide whether to try one or not. No matter how it breaks, I will write what I run into. Hope to pay back all of the folks who have been good enough to honestly report their experiences here.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
leftwinger said:
Rocky,
Thank you so much for the info. I am anticipating a serious degradation in the speedometer area when I mount the Pirelli next week. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see whether the addition of this tire allows me to go exploring some of the dirt roads around here that I have been avoiding due to the poor performance of all the available MC tires out there for the GL1800.

I will do my best to report accurately all of my experiences with the car tire on the rear in order to help others decide whether to try one or not. No matter how it breaks, I will write what I run into. Hope to pay back all of the folks who have been good enough to honestly report their experiences here.

Your going to like the Pirelli..I feel it is easier to turn than my FM901 was,and I thought that tire was great...
The Pirelli has a rounder profile on it's edges..

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Round edges, that's the ticket! That's partly why I tried the Dunlop Winter sport...it seems like the snow tires will have a more pronounced curve at the end than the street high performance...which makes sense in what they are intended to grip....

Still, I would like to see a CT with even more rounded shape

Rock,
That tire looked asymmetrical to me...is that making a difference when you lean on side versus the other?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Nando said:
Round edges, that's the ticket! That's partly why I tried the Dunlop Winter sport...it seems like the snow tires will have a more pronounced curve at the end than the street high performance...which makes sense in what they are intended to grip....

Still, I would like to see a CT with even more rounded shape

Rock,
That tire looked asymmetrical to me...is that making a difference when you lean on side versus the other?

This Pirelli turns so easy in the turns,I have a hard time believing that it is a C/T back there.I ride on some very quick right left very tight roads,and my naysayer Buddy with a 06,gets ticked off that I'm able to do this with a C/T...But even he admits my C/T has a wider than M/T patch on the road at all times in turns..That says a lot for him to admit this to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you - KA7W, Tom Franken, Nando, et al . . .

I installed a 195 / 55 R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D Run Flat on the rear of my '04 GL1800 about 4 weeks ago now. I have absolutely no clearance problems with this tire; although it was a little difficult to maneuver up into the fender well, once there, everything else went well.

I would highly recommend having this type tire (run flat) installed at a tire shop or cycle shop though. My buddy and I mounted mine by hand, on a homemade jig that works really well for moto tires. But mounting the Run Flat CT really gave us both a workout! Lots 'n lots of Ru-Glyde, some sweat, and a little blood (knuckles) later, it was "Mission Accomplished"! I'm really gettin' too old for those impromptu workouts!!

I've got nearly 3,000 miles on the new tires, and I have yet to experience any negative aspects to this modification. Instead, I am experiencing improvements / enhancements in handling, braking, and general traction. Another enhancement is felt in the rear suspension. I run my preload maxxed-out @ 25 all the time; and without changing the preload at all, I realize a "softer" ride with the CT. This may be due in part to the reduced tire pressure (36 psi, as recommended by Nando), which seems to work well enough that I don't intend to change it anytime soon. It may also be attributable to a more pliable casing construction, as evidenced by some of the photo-documentaries posted here. Regardless, I am "one happy camper!"

DISCLAIMER: The fact that I willingly choose to put a car tire on my motorcycle shall, in no way, encumber anyone else, at any time, to follow my example. I do hereby save harmless all of the nay-sayers and finger- pointers published on this bulletin board service from any liability, either real or imagined, as regards the matter of my choices, current and future, for what will or will not be installed on my motorcycle.

G

·
The CT's are a snap to mount but the trick is to leave it defated until bolted into the hub - then fill it up as the tire is to wide to push up into place fully filled.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts