GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just located a stock CD changer for my bike. It didn't have one installed when new. Is the bike hard wired for the changer or is there more involved than plug and go?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Punchie said:
Just located a stock CD changer for my bike. It didn't have one installed when new. Is the bike hard wired for the changer or is there more involved than plug and go?
The wiring part is easy - it plugs into a wiring harness inside a rubber boot under the seat. Do you also have the mounting bracket for the CD changer? That's the crucial part that helps protect your unit from bumps!

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Yeah, there's an updated version of mounting bracket and it ends up being just a bit above the bottom of the trunk. (I can still get two XXL HJC Symax helmets in there though.) It works great for me - doesn't skip even going over speed bumps.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
WHY in the WORLD would you want to install a "CD Changer" ?!?!?!?

Way too many alternatives out there for that kinda bux...unless it's FREE !

·
Registered
10 Posts
CD changers, don't get me started on this option! I bought my 2001 new in July 2001 and had Honda install the CD from the get go. Four CD changers later, I ended up taking mine out for good, and finally installing a Sat. Radio. No complaints here about the warrenty, Honda changed them all out free of charge, my only complaint was you didn't always know if and when you would get your CD's back from mother Honda, months later.

As noted on these boards, I should have skiped the CD changer and went straight to an IPOD or a Sat. Radio. No more problems!!

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Nobody tried to get anybody started - someone just asked a simple question. And most know the mount has been upgraded so the changer works better than it did. As I said before, I'm very happy with mine and would buy it again without hesistion. It's on 99% of the time I'm riding. 8)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Maybe it's time for Lamont to set up an anti-CD changer board, so that people who simply want information on how to install one won't have to wade through all the anti-CD changer tirades to get the information they're looking for. :roll:

Yes, there other less expensive and more reliable options out there. I love my iPod! However, my CD changer lasted 3.5 years before I had a lick of trouble with it. Now that it's been repaired, I'm comfortable knowing I have lots of options when it comes to tunes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm doing it for my 11 year old daughter. She and I commute 45 minutes every morning to her school. Local radio isn't really entertaing for her at 7:30. I told her i'd look into getting one. What's a Dad to do?

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
You're a good dad! And at least you got your question answered. :wink:

There are other options out there too and and if you're interested in satellite radio or MP3 you could look in to those options. I may end up with an MP3 Player eventually and I might use it once in a while. The MP3 player I have now is ok but it's older and limited (Compac PA-1 and a PA-2). I use them in the gym and they are great. But I like the CD on the bike. I doubt I'll ever get satellite radio.

Long story short, if you want the CD Changer, go for it. I like the integrated controls and all my buttons working. 8)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had the cd changer installed on my 04. The first season it started to give the infamous Mech error messages. My dealer swapped it out and this one (where's the wood) has worked flawlessly since. As to why would one want one ... the fidelity on a cd is much better than an MP3 or other substitute.

FF

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
FastFreddie said:
I had the cd changer installed on my 04. The first season it started to give the infamous Mech error messages. My dealer swapped it out and this one (where's the wood) has worked flawlessly since. As to why would one want one ... the fidelity on a cd is much better than an MP3 or other substitute.
Actually, if you take the 'line out' signal out of the base of the iPod, via an EC iPod harness or similar device, as opposed to the earphone jack signal, you get a much cleaner signal, so that the difference between a CD player and an iPod is not nearly as noticeable, especially at highway speeds.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Punchie said:
even if free.... buy an MP3 player. You can find cheap ones many places. My first I used for a couple years was $29!! Now I upgraded to a $65 one! Sweeet. If used on battery (AAA lasts for 15 hours) you won't need any power source filter (alternator wine).

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I had the OEM CD changer for 45,000+ miles. It worked great and would only "skip" on washboard roads. Replaced it with an iPod, but it enjoyable when I had it.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
gray_red_rider said:
I had the OEM CD changer for 45,000+ miles. It worked great and would only "skip" on washboard roads. Replaced it with an iPod, but it enjoyable when I had it.
DA BEARS!!

Did I mention I LOVE my CD Changer? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts