GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am churning an idea around in my head about adding a Mac Mini to my Goldwing. I have a high speed Wifi Verizon Hot Spot and could find a nice place to mount an HD 7" monitor. I could do all kinds of things with this. I could run Parallels and access both Mac and Windows operating systems. Can make Skype calls while running down the road. I could intergrate it into my communications system and also provide wifi for other riders within 30-40 feet of my bike. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've thought about doing something similar with a 7" tablet probably running android.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thought about it mounting to one of those gadget bars that go between the handlebars, havent got around to development as yet though

sent from the wingphone

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
My biggest concern would be the pounding that it would take. Is it a SSD or spinning drive? What about weather?

·
Registered
118 Posts
As if we don't have enough things demanding our attention while riding!

·
Registered
502 Posts
This idea is right down there with texting while driving. Do you really think you need this distraction while riding?? Well I guess that there will be more riders being scraped off the pavement.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I was thinking about putting a 19" flat screen 12-volt TV on my handlebars, so I won't miss Masterpiece Theater. The RV antenna will mount on the top of my rear travel trunk.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Riverrat...I agree with you 1000% why not just put a varoom motor on your office desk chair and ride that...

·
Registered
557 Posts
You can Skype from most smart phones. I Skype from my I phone all the time. Depending on your Phone and plan you can use them as a hot spot also. You don't have to worry about water you can keep it in your pocket. You did not mention what else you would want to do

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
My son is a missionary in Malawi, Africa. The thing he misses most is riding. When I go to the mountains, he is on skype on the smartphone on my right handlebar, riding along, taking in scenery. We chat about his "kids" in the orphanage, the frustrations of living a life separated from the ones you love and the joys of family. All is done wirelessly and by voice commands, no more distracting than talking to the black haired italian on the back seat. Judge me if you want. No apologies here.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
The question begs why? I ride to get away from all of it.
A little over the top but a cool idea .

Live traffic
Live weather radar
Alerts

And you will not have to deal with xm satellite radio (that's the why ?)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Consider the issue of new state laws. Wisconsin wants to even outlaw GPS.

I rarely turned the radio on. The song of the road is why I'm out there. I check my cell phone at gas stops. There's absolutely no reason to endanger yourself and others.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The consensus is I will die and be scraped off the road!

I can see that there is some concern about the new technology interrupting a nice ride and that it might be dangerous. Both are valid points. The system would be a touch screen monitor. The screen would have pre-programmed icons to open specific programs or apps. Using GPS for excellent interactive radar, music, iTunes radio, emergency radio dispatch, XM/Serious (I have an on-line account). Speech to Text capabilities using voice commands and I also have a sling box at home, so I can steam my hometown TV stations and everything I see on my cable system as well. The TV would be more for my co-rider. People are doing this mod in their cars and placing the monitor into their dashboards. So much better than a factory mash up in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Now if you could find a way to use the OEM display instead of an external monitor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts