GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally tackled the amp install.
EC recommend a low voltage trigger.
I need assistance in how/where to wire it in.
It has 4 wires.
It says:
Yellow: constant 12v (I'll hook straight to battery)
green: + low voltage trigger input (no idea where this goes)
blue: 12v 500ma output (no idea)
Black: ground (no problem)

Can anyone help me with the green and blue wire hookup?

thanks, mike coco

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Without the manual I can't tell you 100% but if it's a car amp:

The green would be the amp "power on" trigger - This would normally be connected to the electric antenna trigger of the car radio (When the radio is on, the amp powers up!!

The Blue wire is a output to trigger another amp in a multi amp setup(you shouldn't power more than one trgger off the radio)

Bottom line: I don't know if there's a signal lead you could tap into to detect radio on... (Perhaps the CB harness somewhere??) For starters I'd just connect that lead to an ignition circuit.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Amplifiers need a signal to turn themselves on.  Most motorcycle radios are difficult to access or may not have a trigger.  Our Low Voltage Trigger allows you to use the speaker wire signal to turn the amp on rather than having the amp on all the time.
The above is right off the EC site, apparently the low voltage trigger connects to a speaker lead.. There should be instructions for that device.. If not, give 'em a call!

·
Registered
25 Posts
LVT Wiring Diagram
Yellow goes to a positive power supply, such as the acc panel, battery, or the power-in on the amp. Best to use the amp power in line.
Black is ground. Again, you can hook it up to the neg. lead on the amp.
Blue triggers the amp. It hooks to the "remote" lead.
Green hooks up to a positive speaker lead.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks John.

·
Registered
25 Posts
99% correct.
Forgot to mention the "+" speaker lead is from the radio side...

Do ya have a group insurance plan? :D

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
OK, I'm just a little confused. Obviously this is not a conventional power amp hookup. But, Stapler101 said that the blue lead is an output. The trigger is supposed to be an input. How can that be the power amp trigger?

(I don't have the amp yet. I just want to get it straight in case I do.)

Larry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, how would the + wire be labled? I am confused by your statement that it is from the radio side.
thanks, mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Take a look at this amp...amp

The wires you see in the lower portion of the picture of the amp are coming directly from the speaker leads from the radio. These wires are the "output signal" from the radio. They normally go directly to the speakers.
When you use an amp, you hook the radio speaker wires to the input side and in turn the amp boosts the signal. On the other side of the amp are the output leads that go to the speakers.

Take a look at the following drawing...a little crude but you get the idea.
wiring

Actual wiring colors will vary.

Larry,

The blue wire sends power to the "remote On" switch at the amp.
It does this when the green wire activates the low voltage trigger switch by picking up the small amount of current running through the speaker wire coming from the radio, and switching power on from the yellow wire that is hooked up to a constant 12 volt source.

Got it? Good. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts