GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good information and great video, (as always)
Using this tie down method leaves the motorcycle to float on the front suspension as the trailer is bouncing down the road, while connecting to the frame will compress the front suspension.

·
Vendor
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$65 on Amazon...That's a lot of money when two extra long soft ties will do the same thing. JMOYMMV
That is a fair observation. The Goldstrike parts are $49.95.

I think most Wingers want every square inch they can get, and two extra long soft ties take up space in the already tiny saddlebags.

·
Vendor
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good information and great video, (as always)
Using this tie down method leaves the motorcycle to float on the front suspension as the trailer is bouncing down the road, while connecting to the frame will compress the front suspension.
That's a good observation. With the new style suspension, it's not really as big of deal as it is with a bike with a telescopic fork, where the seals are experiencing unnecessary wear.

But here's the next trick.... most people tie the bike down forward and backward. The only way the suspension can "float" is if one of the two wheels can move closer to the other one as the suspension compresses. It won't do that the way most people tie the bike down, they just don't know that!

;)

·
Registered
2018 AirBag
822 Posts
That is a fair observation. The Goldstrike parts are $49.95.

I think most Wingers want every square inch they can get, and two extra long soft ties take up space in the already tiny saddlebags.
I watched your video on Canyon Dancers and that's what I use. I also have the longer tie straps [ EC sells } and use them as well. My bike does not see a trailer very often but when it does I don't like to worry about it.

·
Vendor
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

METHOD 1: START BY TAKING YOUR BIKE APART.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!k

Tell that to "Cletus the wrecker driver" when he comes to tow your broken down bike off the side of the road and see what he says!!!

METHOD 2: It's kinda like tying a bike down with a telescopic fork, but NOT. So you'll need the $20 straps you bought because you didn't have $50 for proper hooks laying on your ultra-expensive $1500 fork casting, but to prevent the straps from grinding away and wrecking the surface of your fork, "just put a rag under it".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysterical!!!!

I think I'll spend $49 on Goldstrike mounts, which cost more $29 more than a $20 set of extended straps. $ 1 per $1000 of motorcycle seems like a good investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.