GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good tip on how to install the center stand spring? It's pretty stout and I need to spread it about 1/2." Even off the bike and using hand tools, I can barely spread the spring.

Incidentally, the spring came off in a gravel construction zone in Colorado. Yeah, what are the chances! I figured this might be a warranty issue for my '05 but the local Honda dealer (whom I did not buy the bike) made it extremely difficult and inconvenient to even see if this was a warranty item. So I just paid $6 for the new spring.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,851 Posts
Vice grips and muscle. Lock the pliers onto the spring clost to the coils so that the shank-hook end is clear to be paced upon its connectoin site. You might be able to fashion a tool like a boot jack (hook on a T handle) to do the job too; but it would be awkward at best.

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Get yourself a stack of quarters or similar size washers; whatever is more convenient.

Bend the spring opening the coils. Insert the quarters/washers between the coils. Repeat until you have spread the coils enough to be able to easily install the spring. Remove the quarters/washers.

Don't forget to lube the ends of the springs to prevent binding and wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
If you have the spring tool for doing brakes on autos, it can be quite handy, but I wouldn't go buy it just for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,738 Posts
richard h said:
Get yourself a stack of quarters or similar size washers; whatever is more convenient.

Bend the spring opening the coils. Insert the quarters/washers between the coils. Repeat until you have spread the coils enough to be able to easily install the spring. Remove the quarters/washers.

Don't forget to lube the ends of the springs to prevent binding and wear.
Yep, this one works pretty well and painlessly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,305 Posts
I've used a plain old Phillips-head screwdriver to get the spring back on Rio. Not fun, but with a little persistence, you can do it. Make sure when you reinstall it that the open part of the spring is pointing up towards the underside of the bike so it won't catch and pull off.

Mesquite Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I lost one in a similar situation. When I installed the new one I looped a plastic tie around the spring hooks on both ends so it wouldnt jump off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Indianabob said:
Does anyone have a good tip on how to install the center stand spring? It's pretty stout and I need to spread it about 1/2." Even off the bike and using hand tools, I can barely spread the spring.

Incidentally, the spring came off in a gravel construction zone in Colorado. Yeah, what are the chances! I figured this might be a warranty issue for my '05 but the local Honda dealer (whom I did not buy the bike) made it extremely difficult and inconvenient to even see if this was a warranty item. So I just paid $6 for the new spring.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Is this a Harley that you are talking about ????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
richard h said:
Get yourself a stack of quarters or similar size washers; whatever is more convenient.

Bend the spring opening the coils. Insert the quarters/washers between the coils. Repeat until you have spread the coils enough to be able to easily install the spring.
:wink: That's the hot tip! I'd seen it mentioned once on WOTI and remembered it when I needed to put one on. Worked like a champ!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
richard h said:
Get yourself a stack of quarters or similar size washers; whatever is more convenient.

Bend the spring opening the coils. Insert the quarters/washers between the coils. Repeat until you have spread the coils enough to be able to easily install the spring. Remove the quarters/washers.

Don't forget to lube the ends of the springs to prevent binding and wear.
I'll add one more tip to that. Once the spring is on put the bike up on the center stand and all the quarters/washers will fall out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
I hit a six foot piece of tire "gator" on I-65 just above Prattville, AL about two weeks ago and knocked mine off, that was the only damage. I installed a temporary one from ACE using the penny trick until a new one comes in.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
I've used a plain old Phillips-head screwdriver to get the spring back on Rio. Not fun, but with a little persistence, you can do it. Make sure when you reinstall it that the open part of the spring is pointing up towards the underside of the bike so it won't catch and pull off.

Mesquite Bob
That's the method I used too.The quarters/washers sounds like a stroke of genious (why we would trust a genious that had a stroke I'll never know :shock: ).

Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Washers works great.. I've even used a pile of large allen wrenches.. Saves on teeth and/or blood!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
man, i like the washer idea. I lost mine when I hit a road gator too. Bought a new one, and used the phillip head screwdriver. Just knew it was going to let go and open me up. But it worked.
Will file away the washer idea though. I thought losing this was so unique but seems to be more common than i thought.
Thanks for the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I'm a cheap *******, I used washers... Worked exactly as advertised! Simple and effective.

Once again, I think this forum is my best Wing accessory. Thanks again to all of those that responded.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top