GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the installation of GL1800 REAR LED CONVERSION PKG from SoCal.

On a 1 easiest - 10 Hardest scale How difficult is getting to and replacing the directional flasher on a Gen 1 GL1800 (2004)

I have taken off the meter panel before but its been awhile.

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Rick,
It’s a pretty easy job, just a bit time consuming as you will have to take the front nose cover and windshield off to access it. My personal opinion, I’d call the job a 2/3.

-John

·
Registered
861 Posts
Have done three or four flasher replacements and it can be done by lifting the meter panel a little and reaching in. It helps to have smaller hands.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Remove the instrument cluster and you are there. Don't waste time removing the windshield and the mounting for it. It is really only about a 30-45 minute job from start to finish including a coffee break or two. It just baffles me for how many want to get there the hard way from the windshield. The only hard part removing the instrument cluster may be getting the boots back in place on the 3 plugs. '01-'04 may only have 2 plugs, I don't remember exactly anymore, been too long since I was last there for those years.

The '01-'05 have a little more effort taking off the dash cover than the '06-'17 since the cover just pops up on them with 3 plugs to undo; while bolts are involved on the older ones. After that is off, 4 bolts for the instrument cluster and 3 plugs to undo and it is away. The cluster has a clip dead center in back that just needs to be brought down to unhook by lifting up on the bottom to let the back drop down. The flasher is hooked to a brace in the very center behind the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have watched several of videos including Cruiseman's about installing the SoCalMotoGear LED flasher replacement.

The videos show model years other than the 2004 and therefore different approaches.
Can you tell me which is the best method and the EXACT location of the flasher unit on the 2004?

Thank you all

Richie Steinel
PUCKBUS

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
I have watched several of videos including Cruiseman's about installing the SoCalMotoGear LED flasher replacement.

The videos show model years other than the 2004 and therefore different approaches.
Can you tell me which is the best method and the EXACT location of the flasher unit on the 2004?

Thank you all

Richie Steinel
PUCKBUS
Hey, the 2004 doesn’t have a flasher relay like the later models. The 01-05 models have a circuit board built into the rear of the gauges that is the flasher circuit. There’s three wires that are attached to it and run to a three pin plug. If you replace it with an LED flasher, make sure it’s for a 2005 or older model and you simply unplug the gauge circuit from the bike harness and plug the new flasher into the bike harness, leaving the three wires and the circuit in the gauges disconnected. There is another relay up behind the gauges that’s mounted on the fairing frame, that’s not the flasher relay for this model year. It’s actually the position light relay. Don’t plug the new LED flasher into its connector or you could blow up the cancel unit. $$$ ☹ Here‘s a diagram and picture showing the flasher circuit on the back of the gauge assembly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Techdude 2000,

Thanks very much for the advise. I actually did the replacement yesterday before I saw you message. I found an obscure video on youtube in which a guy worked on a 2003 and made his own flasher. I used the SoCalMoto unit.
"make sure it’s for a 2005 or older model and you simply unplug the gauge circuit from the bike harness and plug the new flasher into the bike harness, leaving the three wires and the circuit in the gauges disconnected." is exactly what their directions state as well. Several videos and other helpers give assways instruction about getting to it.
Going through the front of the fairing is the only reasonable way to go. The connector is easily reachable and visible just behind the fairing on the Right side of the bike. I suggest NO ONE should try to remove the old unit. It's impossible! I put the new unit into the connector as you instruct and it works perfectly.

Thank you and many others for your advise and interest.

Richie

·
Registered
782 Posts
Would love to install my switchback LED turn signals. But need to install this LED flasher unit to avoid the crazy flashing turn signals.

f
Have done three or four flasher replacements and it can be done by lifting the meter panel a little and reaching in. It helps to have smaller hands.
eddiepants, I've been told I should be able to merely lift the meter panel on my 2003 and reach in and unplug the flasher circuit board built into my gauge cluster and connect the new LED flasher unit. The photo below is a shot from underneath my meter panel of what I believe to be the right connector (white with 3 wires, male connector) to disconnect for the new LED flasher:

I've tried several times to no avail trying to unclip that connector with one hand. Tried with long need nose pliers and have thus far not been able to unclip that triangular end out of the square bracket and unplug. Pretty stuck.

And even if I can unclip it and I clip in the new LED flasher unit, shouldn't that be zip tied somewhere back there and not just hanging loose?

Any tips?

Techdude 2000,

Thanks very much for the advise. I actually did the replacement yesterday before I saw you message. I found an obscure video on youtube in which a guy worked on a 2003 and made his own flasher. I used the SoCalMoto unit.
"make sure it’s for a 2005 or older model and you simply unplug the gauge circuit from the bike harness and plug the new flasher into the bike harness, leaving the three wires and the circuit in the gauges disconnected." is exactly what their directions state as well. Several videos and other helpers give assways instruction about getting to it.
Going through the front of the fairing is the only reasonable way to go. The connector is easily reachable and visible just behind the fairing on the Right side of the bike. I suggest NO ONE should try to remove the old unit. It's impossible! I put the new unit into the connector as you instruct and it works perfectly.

Thank you and many others for your advise and interest.

Richie
Hi Richie, Thinking I also may need to go to the front. The folks who have done many of these swear to go through the rear but after multiple tries , I just can't get that connector unclipped.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Would love to install my switchback LED turn signals. But need to install this LED flasher unit to avoid the crazy flashing turn signals.

f

eddiepants, I've been told I should be able to merely lift the meter panel on my 2003 and reach in and unplug the flasher circuit board built into my gauge cluster and connect the new LED flasher unit. The photo below is a shot from underneath my meter panel of what I believe to be the right connector (white with 3 wires, male connector) to disconnect for the new LED flasher:

View attachment 367791

I've tried several times to no avail trying to unclip that connector with one hand. Tried with long need nose pliers and have thus far not been able to unclip that triangular end out of the square bracket and unplug. Pretty stuck.

And even if I can unclip it and I clip in the new LED flasher unit, shouldn't that be zip tied somewhere back there and not just hanging loose?

Any tips?

Hi Richie, Thinking I also may need to go to the front. The folks who have done many of these swear to go through the rear but after multiple tries , I just can't get that connector unclipped.
You must follow Techdudes post. I am familiar with 2006 and newer . Sorry

·
Registered
782 Posts
You must follow Techdudes post. I am familiar with 2006 and newer . Sorry
Thanks eddiepants. One of the few repair items where our Tech forum has few threads.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
On my 02, I went thru the front, by removing windshield. It's easier for me as I never found an easy way to remove or get around instrument cluster. I have the full rear led conversion and switchback turn signals from socalmoto. I had a major issue with some thing I added to the turn signal part. Socalmoto has excellent customer service and after several calls were able to get it figured out. I ended up tearing apart the front end chasing wires to make sure everything was good there. But I have had time to get it back together.
20200417_175812.jpg

Reactions: jtdunc

·
Registered
782 Posts
On my 02, I went thru the front, by removing windshield. It's easier for me as I never found an easy way to remove or get around instrument cluster.
Thanks. That's in my future I suspect. How long to get in and out of the windshield? Searched but none of the threads indicated time frame to do the job.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Thanks. That's in my future I suspect. How long to get in and out of the windshield? Searched but none of the threads indicated time frame to do the job.
30 mins tops. Hex head, 10mm/8mm socket, and a Phillips. After a few times, you can probably cut your time in half. Just pay attention to where all the bolts go as you have 2 deeper and 6 swallow bolts. Take a picture beforehand as it might be useful later.

Reactions: jtdunc

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
Yes, the gauge assembly on the first 5 model years have bolts from the front that hold it in and getting those out is a pain. Pull the windshield and the black cover under the windshield to go in from the front. The connector is in a terrible place to access it. While you’re in there you will see the position light relay in its rubber holder on the fairing frame upright. That’s the relay to leave alone. Good luck, even going through the front it’s no fun.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
position light relay in its rubber holder on the fairing frame upright. I thought that was the turn signal relay. What purpose is the position light relay? I may have to put it back. I disconnected it when I put led flasher in..

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
position light relay in its rubber holder on the fairing frame upright. I thought that was the turn signal relay. What purpose is the position light relay? I may have to put it back. I disconnected it when I put led flasher in..
The 5 pin position light relay, when de-energized, makes both position lights(amber running light filament in the mirror) stay on when you aren’t using the turn signals. If you remove it, one of your mirror lights will be off all the time. Depending on which side turn signal was used last. When you turn right, the turn signal switch supplies power to the left position light to keep it on while the right side turns off and flashes the turn signal filament in the bulb. When the turn is complete or cancelled, the position light relay de-energizes and reconnects the power from the left position light filament to the right side filament, turning it back on. This occurs in the opposite if you use the left turn signal. If the relay goes bad or is removed, you will see the right side light fail to turn on after the right turn signal stops flashing and vice versa after using the left turn signal. On the 06 and up models, the relay hanging there is the turn signal relay and the position light relay was moved to the rack under the seat. Your switch backs included a sync cable, this cable does the job of the position light relay. This is why your running lights still function correctly without the relay. If you didn’t have the switch back kit‘s sync cable you would see the symptom I described.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I didn't get a sync cable but I need to test it out and make sure of things. Now where is the sync cable supposed to go, maybe you said it in your message and I missed it. If I don't have it, then what? Thanks for explaining everything. I'm going to to put relay back before testing it out.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,205 Posts
I didn't get a sync cable but I need to test it out and make sure of things. Now where is the sync cable supposed to go, maybe you said it in your message and I missed it. If I don't have it, then what? Thanks for explaining everything. I'm going to to put relay back before testing it out.
If you didn’t get a sync cable, then I don’t know how the switch blades are turning the running light back on. This is normally the position light relay’s job. Just test both turn signals and make sure both sides turn the running light back on after the turn signal is used. If they do, then don’t sweat the relay being out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts