GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my fog lights and home link today. My question is, is it really necessary to remove everything that the install instructions call for? When I installed my heli bar risers there was a short cut that saved me about 2 hrs. by not having to remove everything that it called for.
Thanks for any useful input.
Russ

Just got my the buttons and fog lights on.
Buttons took about 45 minutes following the heli bar riser video.
Fog lights took about 3 hrs. Just removed Lower cowlings. Easy peazy

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Helibars shortcut works for both switch installs, if you’re careful. You’ll probably also need a stubby Phillips to get the screws out of the back. I installed my fogs and homelink before the Helibars and was mad when I found the shortcut video. Good luck!

Reactions: Russell1234

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just got my fog lights and home link today. My question is, is it really necessary to remove everything that the install instructions call for? When I installed my heli bar risers there was a short cut that saved me about 2 hrs. by not having to remove everything that it called for.
Thanks for any useful input.
Russ
this is what I did for homelink.
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/434195-homelink-install-tip.html

install the switch for the fog lights and then all you have to do is take off the lower cowl and follow the honda instruction for how to mount them - you do NOT have to take everything off to get to the lower fog lights

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed the home link and fog lights using the long method. But I also installed the entry lights and the auxiliary 12v plug at the same time. These are options I might not have purchased except all the tear down work convinced me to spend the extra. I also did a modification of my own. I installed a couple of visor clips inside the shelter cubby to hold my iPhone. This way I can get rid of the big foam padding that was Honda’s solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I installed the home link and fog lights using the long method. But I also installed the entry lights and the auxiliary 12v plug at the same time. These are options I might not have purchased except all the tear down work convinced me to spend the extra. I also did a modification of my own. I installed a couple of visor clips inside the shelter cubby to hold my iPhone. This way I can get rid of the big foam padding that was Honda’s solution.
Good idea on the visor clips.:smile2:
Which ones did you use? TIA

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought them on amazon as a two pack. They were visor clips for the chamberlain (liftmaster) garage door opener.
I used my drummel to cut two slots on the hinge side of the cubby, about four inches from the top, so that the flat side of the visor clips are inserted through the slots and cemented to the outside of the cubby. I then then sealed the slots with a marine adhesive/sealant. There is rigid insulation around the outside of the cubby box. It was easy to cut a square piece out with a razor blade and then just duct tape it back in place after glueing the clips in placed
2 Visor Clip Garage Door Remote Opener Replacement for Liftmaster Sears Chamerlain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB1KL83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fveeCbMH5MWS5

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the home link and the show Crome fuse block put in, took about 3 hrs for the home link and about an hr. For the fuse block.
On the home link install all’s I did was take the Antenna out, took the bolts out that hold the side case on, that gave me about an extra inch or so to get the the wires down and in the hole I highly recommend using some dish soap around the plug I didn’t at first and had to pull it out and start over but once in it was a piece of cake after that.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts

Yours is an interesting solution to the Honda foam idea. I wish someone would make a hard piece of molded foam or plastic that would fit a phone, FOB and normal size wallet in this cubby space.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The clips work really well and frees up space in the cubby. I have a “Silk” case for the phone that has a credit card slot on the back. I insert the phone in the clips with the screen toward wall of the cubby and the clips pressing the back of the case. The raised lip of the case protects the screen

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did the shortcut installation version on the buttons. Worked great. I also weather sealed the HOMELINK UNIT and installed under my seat.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts