GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the Big Bike heated handgrips carried by HDL, and wondering if it is possible to connect them somewhere in the right fairing pocket? Perhaps where does the Hondaline heated grips get their power? Sure would beat having to route the wires back under the top shelter to the acc terminal at the battery area.

How much current is available at the aux power plug in the LEFT fairing pocket? These heated grips pull 1.82 amps.

This is on an '07 wing.....

Thanks for any info,

Ken H>

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I don't know about the '07, but on the '01 there is a power connector under the right pocket specifically for the heated grips. It's not easy to find, but it's there. I just installed a set of Honda heated grips for a friend this weekend.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on the '01 - I was thinking I had remembered seeing something in the shop manual, but didn't remember for sure. I didn't have access to my shop manual at the time.

With the Honda heated grip connector there, why do other manuf's not use that connector for power for after market heat grips?????

Thanks for the info - I'll dig around and see what I can find. Just hoping someone with experience with the '06/07 would chime in with info to save me some work.

Ken H>

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
KenH said:
With the Honda heated grip connector there, why do other manuf's not use that connector for power for after market heat grips?????

Ken H>
They probably don't know it exists. I think EC's grips use it though.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
KenH and Board, I too am installing heated grips. Is the stock heated grig connector
RED? A two wire (C-26) connector? galewing

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Galewing - I'm not sure which connector is used. I don't have access to my shop manual this week - it's at home on the boat. I'd sure like to know where it's located myself. That seems to be the location to make the heated grip connection to the power system. I do hope someone provides us with the info.

Ken

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
The connector in my bike is red.

For some reason it's tucked way up in there. The bike I was doing the install on this weekend had it tucked up above the vent. If we didn't have the top shelter off we would never have found it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you have been able to get to the connector with the top shelter on if you knew where it was? OR is it one of those deals where you MUST remove top shelter?

Thanks for the continuning info.

Ken H>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts