GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of modifying the rack installation by using a chrome strip that would go from the top mounting to the rear mounting hole to distribute the weight. I'm thinking this would be a good way to distribute the weight. Just looking for a nice looking flat strip that would work for this. I know there are aftermarket washers for this but wanted to get the best displacement of weight possible. This bracket may also look good in black.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Whatever I come up with I will use a thin piece of rubber strip under it.
Need something I can mold a bit to the curve.

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I know a couple guys that have done what you suggest on a 1500,but haven't seen it on an 1800.I think it's a good idea if you can make it work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
luggage rack strip

The strip will not help distribute the load any better than the washers, unless it has some depth to it. The load will not transfer out to the strip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well I hate to burst the bubble of those that say it can't be done. But I did just that very thing to my trunk rack 3 years ago . I fashioned the plates out of 1/8 by 1-1/2 Aluminum. It was easy to shape it to fit the curve of the trunk and I polished it to a mirror finish. I also made a plate to go under the bottom side of the trunk so it sandwiched it in between the two. This helped give the trunk lid a heap load of strength. A rubber gasket was used betwqeen the plates and the lid. To this day I have had no problems or cracks and I have had more then 20 lbs on it several times. So much so I was afraid it would bend the hinges in the open position. Below are a couple of pics of my install. It is a little hard to see the whole thing but you can get the idea.

Litnlennie (AKA) Leonard

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would if it didn't take all day to make, polish and install them. You all couldn't afford my price. :money1: It was a hard job but I would do it again as I like the look and value it gives to the trunk. :D

Litnlennie (AKA) Leoanrd

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
rack mounting..... filling gap between halves....

The one hardware item that I find missing with just about all of these racks is something to fill the 1/8 inch gap between the inner and outer lids. I used some hard rubber washers (for faucets) and stuck them to the top of the inner lid. Now, any weight pressure on the rack is distributed evenly on both inner and outer lids and I am actually able to tighten the bolts without causing damage. I also have some star washers on the outside. This makes the weight limit on the rack mostly dictated by what is supporting the lid and the overall limit of the trunk. If you have added bumpers for the lid to rest on, you add a little weight capacity to the lid. The most weight I had on mine was a fold up camping chair. That was not the best place for it due to blocking rear view mirrors. Usually, all I put there is my tent and rolled up sleep pad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts