GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install new front brake pads and speed bleeders at the same time. I will install all the speed bleeders first. Before I push the pistons back into the caliper should I open the speed bleeders on the caliper first and leave them open and let the old fluid drain out ? Going to do fluid change after new pads are installed.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
no

No - for short answer. Long answer is follow the service manual for procedure and sequence for bleeding. Makes things easier. Also, hard to push the pistons in hard enough to go past the bleeder vs. pushing the fluid back into the master cylinder. And lastly, don't want to risk the chance of getting brake fluid on things that don't take well to it.

Note: make sure you clean the piston boots and caliper area before pushing the pistons back in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Trying to avoid the " The Law Unintended Consequences". Better to ask than screw up.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I open the bleeder screws a 1/2 turn or so andplace a hose on the end then the other end into a container... Squeeze thecleaned piston back into the bore and the old dirty fluid goes into thecontainer... The bleeder hole is at the base of the piston bore so there islittle resistance during the process... Then I draw out as much fluid aspossible from the master reservoir with a vacuum bleeder tool... No need topush dirty fluid through the system...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts