GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing DCT Deep Pearl Gray
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks...I guess some newbie like me in the Goldwing world would like to ask if anyone here has ever installed the OEM Trunk on a Goldwing Bagger?

I have scoured the entire web and youtube, including this entire forum and I cannot for the life of me find anyone or any information about the topic that I have just am posted.

I guess am just curious to know if anyone has done why you went with OEM top case trunk vs other third party brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven’t but Traxxion have a quick release kit for the OEM trunk with videos on YouTube. I would think the install process for the Bagger would be the opposite. Here is a link to the video
I have no affiliation but if I were to install one, on a bagger, I would want to have a quick removal. Assuming you bought the bagger to have a bagger the majority of the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I was hoping to see an install video of someone with a Bagger (non-tour) doing/performing fresh install of an OEM trunk kit from Honda. I realized the video from Traxxion is a quick disconnect feature if you already own a touring model and want to quickly disconnect, but most of his videos are most or less discussions on his design and not a "how to" unlike Fred H's or Cruiseman's garage videos--thanks for the reply.

·
IronMan
19,408 Posts
SEEN 3/4 VIDEOS ONLINE - PUT IN F6B TRUNK INSTALLATION HOPE THIS HELPS

Reactions: Mophead

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just did it. I have a 2019 bagger in darkness black metallic without the chrome. I bought used and wanted that color with no chrome. Honda offered the tour in that color but with chrome parts.
I bought both the trunk and separate color matched panel kits. It took about 5 hours to install but the directions are good everything goes together as expected. I love having the trunk and somewhat rare combo of a tour in my color without chrome.
I couldn’t find any videos online either except Max’s but there are several people on various Facebook pages who have done it let me know if I can help. Cost was around $1600
I considered a Shad trunk but this bike looks so good with the OEM I have zero plans to remove it ever so I didn’t do the quick removal kit I like having the extra storage for my helmet when I’m alone and my GF loves the backrest. She was not a fan of riding on the bagger. I don’t even notice and difference when riding it
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually I was hoping to see an install video of someone with a Bagger (non-tour) doing/performing fresh install of an OEM trunk kit from Honda. I realized the video from Traxxion is a quick disconnect feature if you already own a touring model and want to quickly disconnect, but most of his videos are most or less discussions on his design and not a "how to" unlike Fred H's or Cruiseman's garage videos--thanks for the reply.
Understood, Fred H does have a video in his series that shows full removal and reset of the trunk if you are curious on what would be involved for most of it. I’m sure there would be some value there. Unaware of fresh install videos on a bagger.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
Hello folks...I guess some newbie like me in the Goldwing world would like to ask if anyone here has ever installed the OEM Trunk on a Goldwing Bagger?

I have scoured the entire web and youtube, including this entire forum and I cannot for the life of me find anyone or any information about the topic that I have just am posted.

I guess am just curious to know if anyone has done why you went with OEM top case trunk vs other third party brand.
@ShanghaiDan will jump in here if he sees this.

Reactions: ShanghaiDan

·
IronMan
19,408 Posts
I don’t know why my posts always have duplicate pics. 🤔
MY IPHONE "TAKES" DOUBLE PICS NO ISSUE ON UPLOADING JUST ONE . SURE ITS JUST ANOTHER "DUMMY" SETTING ISSUE :)

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
257 Posts
I just did it. I have a 2019 bagger in darkness black metallic without the chrome. I bought used and wanted that color with no chrome. Honda offered the tour in that color but with chrome parts.
I bought both the trunk and separate color matched panel kits. It took about 5 hours to install but the directions are good everything goes together as expected. I love having the trunk and somewhat rare combo of a tour in my color without chrome.
Interesting. I just bought a 2021 darkness black metallic tour model and I am getting ready to remove the trunk and turn it into a bagger. I bought the tour on purpose so I would get the extras included on the tour model, but don't want the trunk.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting. I just bought a 2021 darkness black metallic tour model and I am getting ready to remove the trunk and turn it into a bagger. I bought the tour on purpose so I would get the extras included on the tour model, but don't want the trunk.
Everyone is different I guess. Did ‘21 come in darkness black metallic? I thought it was more of a charcoal gray color.
what extras were you wanting? I added a center stand and didn’t feel the need for a heated seat. Going this route saved at least $3,500.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
257 Posts
Everyone is different I guess. Did ‘21 come in darkness black metallic? I thought it was more of a charcoal gray color.
what extras were you wanting? I added a center stand and didn’t feel the need for a heated seat. Going this route saved at least $3,500.
Yes, the 21 tour is darkness black metallic. I found one in December that was 3000 off of MSRP with the manual transmission (that I wanted), so I snagged it. As far as I can tell, the tour has these items that the bagger you would have to add (if you could and wanted them):

Center stand
Fog Lamps
Adjustable Suspension
Reverse (electric on the 6MT)
Heated seat
Taller windshield
TPMS
Traction Control
4 speaker setup (upgraded speakers)

I really did want the first 5 items, the others are nice to have for me. So getting the tour and jettisoning the trunk was worth it for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, the 21 tour is darkness black metallic. I found one in December that was 3000 off of MSRP with the manual transmission (that I wanted), so I snagged it. As far as I can tell, the tour has these items that the bagger you would have to add (if you could and wanted them):

Center stand
Fog Lamps
Adjustable Suspension
Reverse (electric on the 6MT)
Heated seat
Taller windshield
TPMS
Traction Control
4 speaker setup (upgraded speakers)

I really did want the first 5 items, the others are nice to have for me. So getting the tour and jettisoning the trunk was worth it for me.
Heck I would’ve made you an offer on your trunk but I’m pretty sure yours is not the same color black. I saw one at the dealer and it definitely is not a gloss pure black like mine. Online it just says the color is metallic black and others have noted it’s got a more gray appearance.
I forgot about some of those differences.
I added the center stand for like $35 from a trike take off
Added pathfinder led fog lights.
Mine is a DCT so I have reverse.
Now I have all 4 speakers.
traction control I thought was the same in all of them but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I couldn’t find any videos online either except Max’s but there are several people on various Facebook pages who have done it let me know if I can help. Cost was around $1600
I considered a Shad trunk but this bike looks so good with the OEM I have zero plans to remove it ever so I didn’t do the quick removal kit I like having the extra storage for my helmet when I’m alone and my GF loves the backrest. She was not a fan of riding on the bagger. I don’t even notice and difference when riding it View attachment 398144
View attachment 398143
View attachment 398142
View attachment 398141
Hi Cincy19GW,

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for sharing images of your nice all blackout GW DCT and how you spent several hours in the assembly of the OEM tour pack/trunk.

I am with you regarding the look of the OEM trunk as it naturally flows very nicely on your GW...about the only down side to the 2021 trunk is the cost has gone up to just shy of $1,920 probably due to the increased 61 liter storage capacity vs the pre-2021 trunks.

I compared the cost to add a tour pack/truck on my '21 Road Glide Special and GW trunk is way way less expensive. Harley parts and accessories are part of the Harley tax...lol

I am aware that I could have gotten the tour version but the Deep Pearl Gray color not available in the tour model version.

I also did not really care about the heated seats especially the tall tour windshield and other features of the tour model because I was able save thousands of dollars in the price difference.

Not to mention I got this left over 2021 model way below dealer invoice price and that cost savings can possibly go for an OEM trunk or a third party trunk, but the original OEM trunk really blends well with the entire bike.

As per your comment of the unique color combo, I whole heartedly agree and I think the Deep Pearl Gray combined with the OEM trunk is one good looking unique color combination…thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Cincy19GW,

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for sharing images of your nice all blackout GW DCT and how you spent several hours in the assembly of the OEM tour pack/trunk.

I am with you regarding the look of the OEM trunk as it naturally flows very nicely on your GW...about the only down side to the 2021 trunk is the cost has gone up to just shy of $1,920 probably due to the increased 61 liter storage capacity vs the pre-2021 trunks.

I compared the cost to add a tour pack/truck on my '21 Road Glide Special and GW trunk is way way less expensive. Harley parts and accessories are part of the Harley tax...lol

I am aware that I could have gotten the tour version but the Deep Pearl Gray color not available in the tour model version.

I also did not really care about the heated seats especially the tall tour windshield and other features of the tour model because I was able save thousands of dollars in the price difference.

Not to mention I got this left over 2021 model way below dealer invoice price and that cost savings can possibly go for an OEM trunk or a third party trunk, but the original OEM trunk really blends well with the entire bike.

As per your comment of the unique color combo, I whole heartedly agree and I think the Deep Pearl Gray combined with the OEM trunk is one good looking unique color combination…thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I did see someone on one of the Facebook pages who added the oem trunk to the gray bagger. It looked great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
can you please post a link...never mind, I found the link

thank you for this post. I am looking at my first Goldwing and debating which way to go, standard or touring. Older harley guy not touring that much anymore, love the colors of the goldwing 21 or 22 but would like the storage of a trunk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1000 € adaptar la Bagger .. a nivel de tour salvo top box y el airbag . (Y cromados brillo brillo )
No compensa la diferencia de precio.
La suspensión ajustable es en 4 posiciones solo . En la Bagger con pomo manual tienes 33 posiciones . El ajustes de modo automático lo lleva ..
Para gustos los colores .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts