GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips

Have the instructions,but first page has three pictures ??
Top picture says drill 17/64 hole
second trim edges of center stand bumper
Third install bumper?? what bumper??

Do I really need to remove whole exhaust system?

Thank you

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Torq Looz

Any tips

Thank you
I installed my Torq Loopz and TorqMaster Mufflers about two years ago on my 2005 Wing.

There were no instruction to the effect that you state, (Top picture says drill 17/64 hole, second trim edges of center stand bumper. Third install bumper??).

I can't even imagine why or where these steps would be necessary.

Just to be sure, these are the items you are trying to install correct?

Removal of entire exhaust system is required. The headers have to come off the bike in order to cut the catalytic converters off. Be very careful when removing the oxygen sensors as you do not want to damage the wiring. When cutting off the cats, follow the carpenter's rule of measure twice, cut once, (Actually I probably measured a half a dozen times!). There is a little room for error but not much.

It is about a half day project, nothing too difficult. Make sure you have the correct Torq Loopz for your year Wing. 2001-2005 are different from the 2006+ models, the Oxygen Sensor mounting location changed.

I got my bike all disassembled, cut the cats off the headers and then discovered I had the wrong Torq Loopz. (The '06 and newer have a mounting hole for the oxygen sensors, whereas the '05 and older the oxygen sensor reinstalls in it's original location). I talked to Jimmy (Owner of TorqMaster) and he hand delivered the correct Torq Loops the next day (A Sunday). This worked for me as he is only about 60 miles away from me here in California, may not be an option for where you are located... ;)

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
Paul; you are a guy who didn't just sprout-up in the cabbage patch yesterday, can you 'splain to me what advantage the torque loops provided to you over the OE set-up.

prs

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you
Paul.
It looks like I'm supposed to drill a hole for a center stand bumber?
Not included in the parts.
Looks like I'll go out to the garage and lay down the cardboard.

G

·
When you remove the cats the little rubber bumper for the center stand goes with them . You need to drill a new hole to relocate the bumper as stated .

You do not need to remove the entire headers to make your cut , just loosen the nuts way off and watch that you don't nick the frame with the saw .

Make sure you do a test fit of the chrome pipe protectors before you snug down the pipe joint clamps . The little tabs need to line up perfect before the protectors can be slid into place correctly . Also trial fit the rear protectors as well . You may need to slide the pipes fore or aft to get the correct fit .

Good luck and enjoy ! :cool:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more I'm on this site the more I like it.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Paul; you are a guy who didn't just sprout-up in the cabbage patch yesterday, can you 'splain to me what advantage the torque loops provided to you over the OE set-up.

prs
They provide horsepower & Torque boost of 5-7% in addition to about the same amount that the Torqmaster Mufflers provide, The manufacturer only claims about a total 10% gain with the full system installed verified by their own Dyno runs. An independent dyno run was made one of our own here on the board with improvements a little higher than what Torqmaster claims.

But for me it is the sweet music the pipes make with a true dual exhaust the Torq Loopz provide, seperating the left and righ sides.

The exhaust is still very quiet, very road worthy, but just sounds great. Many many compliments from other Wingers when I twist a heavy throttle from a stop light. :grin:

·
Registered
474 Posts
My concern with installing the torque loops is if I have read correctly when you put torque loops in you are also separating the left bank from the right bank, removing the balance pipe between left and right side, so therefore you now have unbalanced the exhaust system. Haven't done much with the wing yet, new to me, so I maybe sticking foot in mouth on this one. :?:

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
Thanks! WOW! 10%+ with such a simply mod! Very tempting indeed.

hemi - your "handle" reeks of a horsepower savy driver. Like you suggest, I have been lead to believe that a properly placed cross-over can lead to better scavenging of the exhause and better breathing of the intake. But, then we do have those cats to consider.

prs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Torq Loopz and Cobra Exhaust installed

I have the Torq Loopz installed with Cobra exhaust (baffling in the Cobras to keep the drone down) and am in love with the new sound of my exhaust.

It's through the gears from a stop that you notice it the most or from a roll-on at low speed.

Highway driving is still pleasantly on the quiet side.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
lling Torque loops.

Nix on the removal of the header pipes. I went and bought a $30.00 cutoff grinder and put a 5" metal cutoff wheel in it and left the shield off of it. Cut the cat off anyway you can. Cut pipe near where you mark for the real cut and cut that so that you can hold the grinder up pretty square to make the final cut at your mark. With this tool, you can have the pipes ready in 30 minutes. Have done a couple of them. That hole you are referring to is in the chrome cover that you are supposed to drill out and it takes a bunch more to step drill it. Take that rubber bumper off the cat and try and get it into the hole on the chrome shield. It's to keep the centerstand from smacking the chrome shield.
Buckskin

Any tips

Thank you

·
Registered
264 Posts
They provide horsepower & Torque boost of 5-7% in addition to about the same amount that the Torqmaster Mufflers provide, The manufacturer only claims about a total 10% gain with the full system installed verified by their own Dyno runs. An independent dyno run was made one of our own here on the board with improvements a little higher than what Torqmaster claims.

But for me it is the sweet music the pipes make with a true dual exhaust the Torq Loopz provide, seperating the left and righ sides.

The exhaust is still very quiet, very road worthy, but just sounds great. Many many compliments from other Wingers when I twist a heavy throttle from a stop light. :grin:
+1 here, the Torq Loopz & their pipes work in unison and it now sounds more Porsche-like under acceleration, kind of like a real deep toned Honda CBX. It also runs a bit snappier that I notice and is actually quieter without the droning associated with the stock X-over pipe.
Works for me!:cool:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Torque loops and pipes

Be careful with the Torquemaster 45's I put a set on my bike and i kept dragging them so i went back to stock pipes until i can figure out what i want to do to resolve this!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anyone have issues with exhaust leaks after installing the torque loopz? I put on new gaskets and brackets and can hear a small leak around where the loopz attach to the headers. I've taken it apart a few times and tried to move the gasket around but just can't seen to get rid of the leak. I tried to slide the gasket into the loopz as far as possible then really tighten down the clamps but it just doesn't seem like the exhaust clamps squeeze tight enough. Am I missing something?

I'm also running the stock mufflers and getting a small pop when I let off the throttle. I've heard it may be because of the back pressure and I should look into after market mufflers, but it could also be the exhaust leak I suspect.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had leaks.
Took it apart wiggled everything from tail to exhaust manifold.
Two or three times.
Finally said screw it .

Bought some muffler patch tape.
Wrapped the joints.

No leaks.

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
The leak works both ways and is very likely the source of the decel pop.

prs

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I had to take my mufflers off to do some work recently, probably the 3rd or 4th time I have removed them for various reasons.

This last time I have a leak (tick) on the left side around one of the Torq Loopz ends, probably at the exhaust header end. I probably didn't get the the gasket positioned right this time as I was in a hurry, (always creates a problem when I rush).

What I have always done in the past is place the gasket on the exhaust header very near the end of the header, then slip the Torq Loopz over the gasket/header. No problems at all till this last time... Might be time to replace the gasket. It is suppose to cool off by the weekend (109 degrees today in Sunny Southern California!) So maybe it won't be too bad laying on the concrete and taking care of the leak, (Bugs the heck out of me!).

Love the TorqMaster exhaust system!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Anyone have issues with exhaust leaks after installing the torque loopz? I put on new gaskets and brackets and can hear a small leak around where the loopz attach to the headers. I've taken it apart a few times and tried to move the gasket around but just can't seen to get rid of the leak. I tried to slide the gasket into the loopz as far as possible then really tighten down the clamps but it just doesn't seem like the exhaust clamps squeeze tight enough. Am I missing something?

I'm also running the stock mufflers and getting a small pop when I let off the throttle. I've heard it may be because of the back pressure and I should look into after market mufflers, but it could also be the exhaust leak I suspect.
I had this EXACT SAME problem--- I tried hard to fix the leak I think I hear, to no avail...I purchased the torqmaster mufflers (daytonas I think) and the pop went away....unfortunately, the bike ran like crap and would even stall out when started hot. I added one baffle (I don't there was anything in it before) to each muffler, and the stall problem went away, so now I'm as fixed as I'm gonna be...never thought about wrapping the pipe joints with muffler tape, might try that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.