GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a Bushtech hitch for my 1800, and have read thru the instructions several times. I also printed off the one thread with pictures on installing the hitch. Can you offer any tips, techniques that would further help? I plan on using my Sears Lift to raise the bike, and was also wondering if I set up a hydrolic jack to stabilize the saddle bags/sub frame.

Any suggestions welcome,
Thanks
Doc

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
As said before, I didn't mess with the mufflers either. Also, I just used the center stand on the bike. No jack. No problems. Just take your time.

PS, there is no bolt behind the license plate on the newer models.......

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
http://mysite.verizon.net/res8tr14/bushtecv2trailerhitch/index.html Do you have these instructions? We used them and they seemed to work. Someone else mentioned not to screw around with the muffler~~and we didn't

I was that someone else that said don't touch the mufflers!

Install the left and right arm one at a time loosely then put the
center piece in after, that way you do not have to loosen your
mufflers and move them around!

The V2 is a great hitch, but their instructions make you do way
more work then you need to, to install it!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I installed my hitch while the bike was on the center stand. You may want to run a bungee cord or something from the stand to somewhere forward, like an engine guard, to keep the center stand from possibly collapsing from any installation movements. And I did mess with the muffler bolts too. A little lube before re-installing the bolts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

To all who responded, thanks for the information. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sammisgrammy
Goldwing Midland & Texas Trail
211Chuck
Slow Motion

Thanks for the tips. Keeping is simple is always the best. Looking forward to the trip to Bike Week in 3 weeks. :lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Install the left and right arm one at a time loosely then put the
center piece in after, that way you do not have to loosen your
mufflers and move them around!
:agree: Plus if you are woking alone, it makes it alot easier to handle .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's On!!

:agree: Plus if you are woking alone, it makes it alot easier to handle .
That is exactly what I did, worked like a champ. Thanks. Here's the story, and I am sticking to it. ;)
Well, things did not go to badly.
Read the instructions several times, looked at the location, compared pictures to bike, re-read the instructions, checked the service manual, re-re-read instructions. Three hours later, hitch installed.

Now, tomorrow wire it up, get a 5-4 converter, extra wire and wire cover, and I will be set.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. By the way, as was mentioned in another post, I did not touch the mufflers. Everything went smoothly, except for the lower front bracket nut - that was a bear to get on.

I also marked the lower saddle bag attachment with a dry erase marker. When I removed the bolt the saddle bag moved slightly upward, few pounds of pressure downward with a little oil and the new bolt went right back in. Torque to 20 ft lbs.

Doc

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now for wiring

Thanks for the link. I have the hitch installed and am working on the wiring. Trying to find a five to four converter which is to fit between the Bushtech sub-harness and the isolator. No one seems to know what I am talking about. Will call Bushtech tomorrow. Anyone else shed some light on this? :shrug::shock:

I noticed that on the last picture or so, the left upright was installed on the inside of the center section, while the right upright was installed on the outside of the center section. I believe the Bushtech instructions call for both uprights to be on the inside.

Doc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts