GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 660 harness has three wires coming out of the harness. They are a headphone/audio out jack, a Mini-USB connector and a Microphone jack.

I will be using the Headphone/audio jack which I'll try to get in the left fairing pocket. What do you guys do with the jacks you don't use?

I'm thinking they get secured in the fairing under the pocket but thought I'd see what you all are doing with these.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The 660 harness has three wires coming out of the harness. They are a headphone/audio out jack, a Mini-USB connector and a Microphone jack.

I will be using the Headphone/audio jack which I'll try to get in the left fairing pocket. What do you guys do with the jacks you don't use?

I'm thinking they get secured in the fairing under the pocket but thought I'd see what you all are doing with these.

There are 4 wires. One for power, the mini USB is for a traffic receiver, and the other two are for input and output to your headset.

Before I got the GL2way working, I liked to use the AUX plug in the left fairing pocket to listen to the prompts and directions from the 660.

Just leave the mic jack dangling if you don't intend to use a CB or FRS.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winger Dan,

Yes, there are four cables in the Motorcycle cable -- see pg 1 of the Installation Instructions.

However, the power cable contains two wires, hot (12vdc) and ground). If you don't connect both the ZUMO 660 will just be a paperweight...!

I *assume* that the ZUMO 660 has a "push-pull" audio amplifier like earlier Garmin GPS. If so, you may get noise on the audio if you just connect to the AUX 1/8" stereo jack in the left front pocket. The solution to that is to purchase a "Ground Loop Isolator" (GLI), available from Electrical Connection.

But... if you decide to use device(s) from Kennedy Technologies www.cellset.com to connect through the Intercom, you won't need the GLI. If you decide to use Kennedy stuff, talk to Trudi or Kim at 800-287-7033; both are extremely knowledgable and helpful...!

So...what's the advantage of connecting through the Intercom?
You will be able to listen to AM/FM and any device connected to the AUX port -- and still get the GPS announcememts -- Kennedy calls these "Alert Signals".
Good Luck...!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL. I know what the 4th wire/s were for so I didn't mention them.
Now, speaking of the power wires. Where did you guys tie in the hot wire and the negative wire to power the GPS? Did you run them to the battery, the acc connection near the fuse box or, did you tie in to the red plug wires under the left fairing pocket?

If the red plug, I have the OEM voltage guage plugged in there.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
LOL. I know what the 4th wire/s were for so I didn't mention them.
Now, speaking of the power wires. Where did you guys tie in the hot wire and the negative wire to power the GPS? Did you run them to the battery, the acc connection near the fuse box or, did you tie in to the red plug wires under the left fairing pocket?

If the red plug, I have the OEM voltage guage plugged in there.

I tied mine in to the connector under the left fairing pocket. I bought a connector from Electrical Connection that was meant to extend power over to the right fairing pocket by tieing into the connector under the left fairing pocket. I then snipped the connectors from it and connected the Zumo. You can also snip what you have now and tie in both the Zumo and your voltage gauge by soldering or using wire nuts.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tied mine in to the connector under the left fairing pocket. I bought a connector from Electrical Connection that was meant to extend power over to the right fairing pocket by tieing into the connector under the left fairing pocket. I then snipped the connectors from it and connected the Zumo. You can also snip what you have now and tie in both the Zumo and your voltage gauge by soldering or using wire nuts.

Ya, I was wondering if this was a good idea or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts