GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4 push buttons below the screen that allow you to do basic setup like reseting the clock odometer, etc. are dead. Ths occurred around the same time I installed some fog lights, so I suspected a wiring harness may have come loose, but when I removed the left glovebox to check, they looked good. Also, all fuses are good. Any suggestiions where to look next? Thanks.

·
0 Posts
Plug

Did you take the center (key cover or whatever people call it) off? The plug for those 4 switches is below it right in front of key switch.:thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The 4 push buttons below the screen that allow you to do basic setup like reseting the clock odometer, etc. are dead. Ths occurred around the same time I installed some fog lights, so I suspected a wiring harness may have come loose, but when I removed the left glovebox to check, they looked good. Also, all fuses are good. Any suggestiions where to look next? Thanks.

I'm thinking you either forgot to plug it's connector back in or isn't not fully seated.

Take a flash light and look at the front of the ign switch .you can look under the dash cover to see where the switch is plugged in.

If it looks plugged in,try and gently tug on the wires to see if it disonnects?.

I always tell people "listen for the click" when they reconnect any connector so they know they are fully seated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you take the center (key cover or whatever people call it) off? The plug for those 4 switches is below it right in front of key switch.
Take a flash light and look at the front of the ign switch .you can look under the dash cover to see where the switch is plugged in.
Thanks for the replys. I did not take the center cover off; did all the wiring for the fog lights under the left glovebox and behind the panel where the hazzard switch is. Not even sure how to take center cover off. Was hoping to avoid since I was not working in that area Also not sure from what angle I should be able to see the front of the ignition switch. Should it be from where I have removed the left glovebox? Don't think I can see it from there.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Not sure from what angle I should be able to see the front of the ignition switch. Should it be from where I have removed the left glovebox? Don't think I can see it from there.
John.stand on the right side of the bike,and look under where the ign key would be.or under where the display buttons are.

What you are looking for doesn't have anything to do with/under the left pocket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John.stand on the right side of the bike,and look under where the ign key would be.or under where the display buttons are.

What you are looking for doesn't have anything to do with/under the left pocket.
Unfortunately, I'm not near the bike right now. When I get home from watching the grandkids I'll do that and let you know what I find. Thanks.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not near the bike right now. When I get home from watching the grandkids I'll do that and let you know what I find. Thanks.
Here is where you need to look.The connector is right under the display buttons in front of the ign.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, this is getting weird. I looked where you said and I have less than a loose connection; I have no connection. I clearly see the female connector leading to the buttons, but there is no wire in sight anywhere to plug into it. Can you tell me where that wire is headed so I might see if it has slipped down so far that it isn't visible. BTW, this is a 2008 without the Navigation or Comfort package. I'm wondering if the connector I'm seeing isn't for the Navigation pkg. Thanks.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Okay, this is getting weird. I looked where you said and I have less than a loose connection; I have no connection. I clearly see the female connector leading to the buttons, but there is no wire in sight anywhere to plug into it. Can you tell me where that wire is headed so I might see if it has slipped down so far that it isn't visible. BTW, this is a 2008 without the Navigation or Comfort package. I'm wondering if the connector I'm seeing isn't for the Navigation pkg. Thanks.
John.Lift the dash back up and you'll see the male end of the connector.once you plug it in "First" ,then lower the dash back down you'll good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lift the dash back up and you'll see the male end of the connector.
Rocky,
Strange that it would have come apart that way since I've never had the dash up and don't even know where to begin to take it up. Can you give me some pointers? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I don't know how something comes apart I usually break something, but this time I gently spread the cover and pulled up and got it up enough to get at the male connector and got 'er plugged back in. Problem solved! Thanks for your help and patience with me. Still curious how that would have come apart when I wasn't working in that area.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When I don't know how something comes apart I usually break something, but this time I gently spread the cover and pulled up and got it up enough to get at the male connector and got 'er plugged back in. Problem solved! Thanks for your help and patience with me. Still curious how that would have come apart when I wasn't working in that area.
I have read that some grind the locking tab off this connector because it is so hard to get apart. Could be someone has done that and it came unplugged over time.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
It came apart because it wasn't fully connected.You must hear it click before you quit!

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Very nice Rocky...:thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Instruments not working?

It's a fuse. Had the same thing just happen on my wing. Double-ck those again. It's a 10-amp (yellow) on the right side of the panel.
--Wally

1 - 15 of 15 Posts