GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if it would be easier to just get an insulated suit for the better half. Not have to plug in somewhere, etc etc...

Your comments of experience humbly requested.

TNX
dw

·
Registered
826 Posts
Probably easier but she (assuming you aren't referring to yourself) will like the electrics way better.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Electrics. Less bulk, and more control of comfort. Really no question about it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Even with a top quality insulated garment there will be a steady, if slower, loss of body heat if the temps get chilly enough. Warmth is constantly wicking away from the body with the air motion of a moving bike.

Electrics can overcome the loss and the wearer stays warm.

Go with the electric. She'll be more comfortable with the greater heat and she'll have greater mobility with less bulk.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
God invented motorcycles, then electric clothing.

Once you ride with it, you will wonder what took you so long.....

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
What I like about the electric vests is I don't have to wear multi layers of clothes while riding. It's nice when you get to where you are going and go inside and you only have to take off just a jacket. The electric vest I use will fold up very small and doesn't take up much space in the saddlebag so I always have it on the bike in colder weather. Alot of the time you don't need the heat in the daytime but when it gets late in the day or dark it's sure is nice to have the heat....along with heated grips. I usually ride in the cold at 40 degree or so with only a long sleeve tee shirt type shirt with my electric vest and my riding jacket. If it gets colder than that I throw a sweat shirt over my electric vest and then my riding jacket. The electric clothing is very nice and once you try them you will wonder how you ever rode with out them in cold weather.

BTW, electric clothing is a must have for her, if you want her to ride with you when it gets cold. Don't even ask her, just buy the electric stuff for her...believe me she will be thanking you the first time she turns on that heat. :lol:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
dw - get your wife the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves (and maybe the pants liner too if she is so inclined) and I guarantee you will earn more bonus points than you can count with her.

It's not even a contest (heated gear verses insulated).

DaleC

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Insulated vs heated.... whats your opinion
Cheaper - Insulated layers and raingear
Easier - heated liners and raingear
Better - electric waterproof outerwear
Comfort - electric liners with controller and raingear

As it is said - Good, Fast, or Cheap - pick two.

Took me a long time to spring for the electric laundry, now I would not be caught without it. If it turned up missing, I would have more coming by the end of the day. To me, it is as important as having a heater in a car.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The only downside to the electrics is they're only warm when you're plugged in to the bike. While this may be obvious, it can be a problem in three situations; 1) if your connection fails somehow, 2) if your bike fails and you end up walking any distance in the cold, or 3) if you need the warmth off your bike at your destination.

All of that having been said, I'm thinking of going with Gerbings and carrying a couple layers to put on when I'm off the bike.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
When it gets cold enough it doesnt matter how much insulation you have your body cannot generate enough heat to stay warm. Use heated gear.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If only one of you gets electric, you better make sure that she gets it!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
The only downside to the electrics is they're only warm when you're plugged in to the bike. While this may be obvious, it can be a problem in three situations; 1) if your connection fails somehow, 2) if your bike fails and you end up walking any distance in the cold, or 3) if you need the warmth off your bike at your destination.

All of that having been said, I'm thinking of going with Gerbings and carrying a couple layers to put on when I'm off the bike.
Gerbings does make batteries for use with the gear....just a thought

·
Registered
472 Posts
Another vote for the electrics. No matter how much I insulate, I just won't generate the heat needed to warm my hands. My Giali electric gloves make a HUGE difference and allow me to ride year round.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
richard h said:
If only one of you gets electric, you better make sure that she gets it!
THANKS GANG!!!
Spoken by TRUE wisdom :lol:

I especially get a kick out of this one.

Now..... next question.

Best place to look for them....... online??

OH.... I almost forgot.... I think my better half would like a heated jump suit. Would she find this easier to deal with than heated liners?

Thanks again all
dw

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
dw said:
Now..... next question. Best place to look for them....... online??
You can go directly to Gerbing (http://gerbing.com/). Just remember, their peak season is here...so don't wait too long or you might have difficulty finding correct sizes and models.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DT said:
dw said:
Now..... next question. Best place to look for them....... online??
You can go directly to Gerbing (http://gerbing.com/). Just remember, their peak season is here...so don't wait too long or you might have difficulty finding correct sizes and models.
Thanks DT,
Here's another dumb question.
The pant and jacket liners go on the inside or the outside?
It looks like the pant liners could easily go on the outside if fitted large.
I wonder if she would prefer this to buying oversized jeans to go on over them. ( fussy about her looks :)
Thanks again,

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
The Gerbing liners work better if you wear a light snug first layer. Get a set of the sweat wicking full length t-shirt and leggings or a set of silk long underwear. Then the liners. Then what ever outer clothes that you like. The liners need to be close fitting. If they are to large then they don't heat as well. They will work over your jeans and shirts but work better if they are under them.

I wouldn't be with out my electric clothes. With them I can ride in the teens for hours as long as the roads are dry. :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
All liners need to go underneath other outer garments as this captures the heat of the liner. Also if you need any alterations made from Gerbing it can take up to 5 weeks to get done. So don't wait around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts