GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides Allstate, does anyone have a company they want to steer me away from?

I need to renew or get new before the end of the month. Progressive gave me a decent quote. Anyone want to recommend one, i would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use State Farm and am well pleased.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
For you guys and gals that aren't married to your passenger, State Farm doesn't provided coverage for your passenger for medical costs, unless you are insuring separately.

In other words, if it is a girlfriend and you aren't sure that she has medical insurance to protect her, you can be sued. Thus having to pay for her medical bills in the event of an accident. That money will come out of your own pocket. Because State Farm does not cover a passenger.

If you don't know or are unsure, just ask! They won't tell you unless you ask.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have just switched to GEICO from Bike-Line. The latter was great, but since adding the Goldwing, they could not match the price of GEICO. Needless to say, I have no experience with them other than their price.
Tom (07 Dark Blue in Alabama)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
ANPAC

ANPAC is very reasonable on motorcycles. If you have your home and all your vehicles insured thru them you get 25 % back after being claim free for 3 years. Then each additional claim free year there after. This is next to impossible to beat!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have Geico, was considering changing to Diaryland because they gave me a quote $100 cheaper. But when my Geico renewal papers came last week, this years premium dropped $200 over last year. They automactially gave me several discounts--renewal discount, discount for having car insurance with them, and they will give me another good discount after I pass 3 years of bike ownership in October. So overall Im pleased with them. Had Progressive before Geico, and didnt have any complaints with them. But since I had Geico car insurance, I wanted to have bike with them too.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Butch,

I have been running with Progressive for about 20 years now. Never an issue and they have paid a major claim for me (Totaled a Wing).

Prices are different in each state and area, so there is no point in discussing price here.

Insurance is not cheap. Cheap insurance is generally not good!

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I did have Progressive, but switch to GEICO because of better rates. I have had only one claim with GEICO, no problems. A friend of mine had Progressive when he had a large claim from a accident. Progressive took care of everything, including helmet & clothes. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to you all. It looks like I'll take the majority and go with Progressive. I have been with USAA but it seems they don't want any m/c business. When I asked them they said that is their position because they didn't write enough policies to stay competitive with the market.

Thanks again.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I had Bike-Line.. but after my incident in Tennessee with them..i won't ever use them again.. now I have Geico -- better rate than Bike Line

to review what happened... One our group had an accident just south
of Knoxville... when I called Bike Line for towing for his bike.. they said his towing had been cancelled.. when in fact I had his card which stated
he was paid up until Feb 2007.. the woman I spoke to was very unhelpful
and down right rude.. she would not offer any assistance what so ever..
its not a good time to find out the company you have your insurance
with..... won't back up their part of the bargain.. I will never use Bike Line nor will I recommend them ever again...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Insurance is what it is Good if you have it and don't need it then shop for rates then NEED it only to find that the rate was low because they are slow to pay or try to get out of any reasonable settlement.

I have Progressive and have used them they where on site of the accident within 24 hours of the occurrence. We settled after two weeks (Accident was not in my home state).

I ride with a Co-rider so they allow coverage medical and liability for that in Virginia.

When you shop for rates be sure to KNOW what you are comparing and what is and NOT Covered. Don't gamble on what an agent tells you if it isn’t written in the policy it isn’t covered.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Progressive is not available in all states. Mine is one of them.

State Farm (and maybe others) does not cover passingers, even if you are married to them, unless you add that coverage to your policy.

There was also a rumor about coverage if you are insured in a state that mandates a helmet and you are riding in a state that does not without one.
I spoke to my agent and he said there would be no problem with coverage as long as I was legal in the state I ws riding in.
Just more food for thought.

When in doubt, talk to your agent.

·
Registered
350 Posts
AARP Foremost. I got quotes from all the others, and Foremost was by far the best rate.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Have Progressive now, but they've been going up the past couple of years so I'm shopping..
I'm suspecting it's because of the helmet law change in PA..

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
What is your yardstick to measure good insurance by? Price seems to be the biggee on this board. Service is what I use, and just try to avoid using it. I had one claim in ten years with State Farm, and the adjuster I had was super fast, fair, and available. I dumped Progressive 10 years ago when I had a claim with them, and got a major run-around. They decided to settle when the judge told them to.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I use California Casualty (aka Aplus). Havent had an issue with them. Somehow when we got married or moved out to Wyoming, the bike was switched to a new account or something and it was brought down to liability. I didn't realize this until I called and somehow we got to it...not a good thing since Im still paying the thing off. Will get it back to full coverage in the spring when I can ride again. Im not mad at them because my wife called and she could have madea mistake or they could have...either way I know about it and I would have known sooner if i read the stuff they send me in the mail.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Progressive here. First year, full coverage was around 575. Second year, dropped to 460. I think it's 100 deductible for theft, 250 for the rest. 5,000 added for extras to the bike in case of loss (farkles). Also like the fact that they throw in towing (to the nearest qualified facility), regardless of mileage.
That and HRCA is a winning combo for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts