GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 1800, since I had all my other insurance with American Family, I went with them to insure the new bike. I was a bit surprised at how it works with them, $330 per year and I had to pay the whole year up front. :roll:

Off hand, I don't know the limits on the policy but as a ballpark figure, does this sound right?

I'm 47, Male and my driving record is clear. I live in a suburb that for my cars anyway, I get a cheaper rate because of where I live.

Anybody have recommendations of who might have better rates while still providing the coverage you'd want on a 'wing? (coverage for the pillion passenger too)

Thanks

Pat H

·
Registered
550 Posts
Rates

I wish I could get mine for only 330 a year. With Progressive and pay quite a bit more than that!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pat , that is about what I pay for full coverage. Seems to be the norm in my neck of the woods (Pa) I am with Progressive and seems ok to me. Wait til you hear some of the prices of the other guys. ! I think that is pretty good. Joy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just be glad your not in Ontario Canada.
My insurance went from $1340 to $1610.
My agent worked at getting it down to $1260.
:roll:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Consider yourself lucky at $330.00. We have two 1800's and a Valkyrie Interstate. In NC I think they feel owning a motorcycle is for the rich and famous. We pay $3,200.00 a year for full coverage on the three bikes. No tickets and yes we have checked around.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have mine thru American Modern. $416 for 12 months of full coverage with medical payments,travel loss reimbursement and $4k of chrome and accessory coverage. Does not sound like you are doing too bad depending on what coverages you have.
I also paid the entire premium up front.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ins.

I've been with Am. Fam since 1962, everything is insured thru them. With discounts for age, non-smoker, etc. I pay $307.00, that includes: 150/300/100 bodily injury, liability, property damage
500,000 uninsured
500,000 underinsured
comprehensive 250 deduct.
collision 250 deduct.
guest pass.
add. equip.
I don't think that is to bad. I also live out in the country, which does make a difference because they rate the areas by deer accidents.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ins

PS: One other reason your ins. may seem high, is that you are living in a highly poplulated area. Green Bay, (Sobieski) Area is a lot smaller than Milw (Brookfield) area. Or even Madison as far as that goes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ins.

OOPS!!!!!! Big mistake, I was looking at the wrong policy. The 307 was for my wifes 2002 VTX1800C. The Wing was 209.10. Sorry for the error. Should have looked a little closer. Good thing you don't own a Harley. My 2003 Road King runs $419.00 a year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
CRAP!!!! I Pay $591.00 :22yikes:

I wonder if its because Im a yungin (34)

Last traffic problem was back in 95, I backed into a vehicle in a parking lot. (In my cage that is) Hmmmm

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I pay around $460/yr with country companies, was over $200 cheaper than the rate I paid w/progressive. I pay all at once also, and never had an accident.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seems pretty normal. I pay $380 per year through Progressive, but have a 3 month layup clause. It's usually pretty nasty for the winter months here anyway, so puttin her away for the winter has become a habit.

·
Registered
619 Posts
U all wanna feel good about your insurance...I pay $850.00 a yr for mine. All HIGH limits and a 1 mil umbrella clause and 6k in accessories. Thats about the same as my XLT f-250 V-10, with 22k miles.....

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

G

·
Okay, Boys and Girls....this should make you feel good about your rates!

Here in Massachusetts, I'm a Credit-Step 9 (the best you can be!)

My insurance bill for the 2003 GL1800 (Apr 03-Apr 04) is $1811.00, discounted by $428 (credit-step discount) to a net

$1383.00

They should at least throw in a tube of Vaseline, shouldn't they?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
for a quality company like american family thats very good.

i do believe that you can get better coverage from dairyland, a division of sentry insurance from stevens point. they will give 3000 in extra toys coverage, towing, and being a motorcycle specific company, less hassle at problem time.

i pay about $ 380 for a goldwing and a pacific coast with coverage like you specify.

we have the highest prices for gas tax, and many other things, but somehow our insurance rates are pretty low.

loren

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I pay about $650 per year with high limits and with an 18 y/o male drive rated on it too. Maybe I can do better at re-up time.

prs

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Javern said:
$340 per year with Progressive
You're paying insurance... and you haven't even ridden it yet? :duck:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
WE have ours through Nationwide, EVERYTHING is through nationwide, Bizz, 2 cages, 2 bikes, the Wing breaks down to around 475/yr, and my driving record is SPOTTLESS

1 - 20 of 47 Posts