GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2004 Kruzer trailer for my mellow yellow gl1800 do you have to put insurance on a trailer? :lol: :lol:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I think your trailers liability is covered under your motorcycles policy..
but comprehensive may not be.. I included my trailer in my comp policy.. just in case..

cosmic

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have Alstate insurance and I had to add my trailer to the policy so it would covered. I think its covered as additional equipment on the bike policy.

Ken

·
Registered
238 Posts
You can have it covered as additional equipment or as trailer itself for a small fee. I have Bikeline and it only costs me $8.00 per year (each) for full coverage on my two Starlite trailers.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I have GEICO and they would cover it under the accessory package, BUT GEICO only covers up to 5500.00 in accessories, so I went to my home owners insurance company and got extra insurance on just the trailer for comp, covers theft, vandalism and ETC....the bike policy covers all the liability....

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
KYBLUE said:
I have GEICO and they would cover it under the accessory package, BUT GEICO only covers up to 5500.00 in accessories, so I went to my home owners insurance company and got extra insurance on just the trailer for comp, covers theft, vandalism and ETC....the bike policy covers all the liability....
ditto-I have Progressive Insurance and a Bushtec trailer. Most policies cover
a certain $$$ amount for accessories. I pay a little extra in that the trailers value exceeds this,

·
Registered
98 Posts
KYBLUE said:
....the bike policy covers all the liability....
Not to start a pi$$ing match - but I would ask that everyone please read your bike policy and make sure that it does indeed cover the trailer for liability - ESPECIALLY if the trailer comes loose from the bike.

If you ask your insurance agent and they say it does, tell them you want to see the specific page/paragraph/sentence in your policy where it says that a trailer is covered - connected or not connected to the bike. If the policy doesn't say it covers the trailer for liability once the trailer is not connected to the bike, you will want to purchase a trailer specific insurance policy, or ask your bike insurer for a policy-rider that does cover the trailer in that circumstance.

Most auto/bike insurance policies will only cover the trailer as long as it is connected to the auto/bike. If it comes loose and injures/kills someone you'll be real glad you had some trailer specific insurance. Trailer specific, full coverage insurance is only about $30/year or less on my '06 Bushtec here in Michigan. To me, that small amount is worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Warlock said:
KYBLUE said:
....the bike policy covers all the liability....
Not to start a pi$$ing match - but I would ask that everyone please read your bike policy and make sure that it does indeed cover the trailer for liability - ESPECIALLY if the trailer comes loose from the bike.

If you ask your insurance agent and they say it does, tell them you want to see the specific page/paragraph/sentence in your policy where it says that a trailer is covered - connected or not connected to the bike. If the policy doesn't say it covers the trailer for liability once the trailer is not connected to the bike, you will want to purchase a trailer specific insurance policy, or ask your bike insurer for a policy-rider that does cover the trailer in that circumstance.

Most auto/bike insurance policies will only cover the trailer as long as it is connected to the auto/bike. If it comes loose and injures/kills someone you'll be real glad you had some trailer specific insurance. Trailer specific, full coverage insurance is only about $30/year or less on my '06 Bushtec here in Michigan. To me, that small amount is worth the peace of mind.
I got seperate trailer insurance also. AAA in Southern CA $52.00 per year for FULL coverage on my 2006 Escapade. Maybe a lot to some, but for me, it is a small amount for a TOTAL piece of mind.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
My State Farm agent here in Michigan assured me that my trailer was totally covered under my bike insurance. He said as long as I had receipts I would get full reimbursement if needed. Same story on accessories such as chrome parts, GPS, etc.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I would be willing to bet that your trailer is covered as long as it is connected to the bike. Unhook it and it probably is not. Also anything in the trailer has the same limits as any thing in your car. Such as Camera covered up to a certain value. Most items have a $500 limit. When the trailer is not connected to your bike, your car insurance will not cover your trailer or contents.

Read your policy very carefully. Some agents play the odds that nothing bad will happen, until it does, you are covered.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Trailer Insurance

I have my Wing insured through Farmers Insurance. I talked to my agent yesterday about my new Uni-Go. He said that the trailer would be covered (liability) if I were towing and the caused any damage. However, that would not cover any damage done to the trailer. To have both covered, they added the trailer to my policy as an accessory so it would be totally covered. Best of all for no additional charges.

Steve

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
My recent run in with a chunk of concrete on the 5 freeway at 85 mph ended up with damage to both the bike as well as the Trailer. First response from my agents office was your trailer isnt covered. When I pointed out I had an individual policy for the trailer, she stood corrected and the individual policies covered as such. Damage to my trailer was close to 900.00. Its going to take many years for them to break even from this one accident. For the few bucks a year in cost it was well worth it in my circumstance. This and when I leave it chained in front of a hotel room I know I'm covered if it grows legs.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My State Farm agent says the trailer is covered as a part of the bike when it is attached. Should it come un-attached it is still covered as the bike is because it was part of the bike.
The same thing holds true for my slide-in truck camper.
BUT........
The camper and trailer is NOT covered just sitting by itself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Trailer Insurance

ditto-I have Progressive Insurance and a Bushtec trailer. Most policies cover
a certain $$$ amount for accessories. I pay a little extra in that the trailers value exceeds this.
LAEN, I'm also with Progressive and my agent is telling me $95 a yr. to add on a Lees-ure Lite trailer with about $4000 value. ?

How much extra do you pay?

thanks, John[/quote]

·
Registered
184 Posts
$8 a year thru bike insurance for my Neosho :yes1:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have Progressive and the Virginia motorcycle policy is covered under "Virginia Family Automobile Policy." I do NOT have Progressive insurance on my four wheelers.
On August 7, 2006 I called Progressive and was told that since I have motorcycle comprehensive coverage the attached trailer is insured for up to $5,000. The same day I called back and talked to another technician and was told that the trailer is covered as long as it was transported to the place with the motorcycle where it was damaged or stolen. It does not have to be attached to the motorcycle when damaged or stolen. (I have a camper trailer).
I don't understand all/most of the Progressive pamplet information, but "owned automobile" "means" "a trailer owned by the named insured," (among other things). There after all references to "owned automobile" should mean both the motorcycle and the trailer. I hope. There is no additional cost for this coverage. I assume that all states develop insurance requirements for policies within that state. Your coverage in another state may be different.
This may help you draw your own opinion after additional research.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
here in NJ my State Farm agent said the trailer is covered for Liability while attached to the bike.
we just added comp & collision, no deduct on comp, $100 deduct on collision all for a WHOPPING $15.60 PER YEAR :D :D :wink:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the challenge of insurance coverage in different states. I happen to use Farm Bureau Insurance. In Arizona, the trailer is covered for "damages" under the home owners. Liability extends from the towing vehicle.

Same named company in Indiana wants a separate policy for the trailer for comprehensive as well as liability.

Just because you paid a premium does not mean there is coverage. They can always refund the premium in case of an incident and claim the agent had no authority to bind the company.

So as a previous writer shared, read the fine print yourself. In fact, have your agent highlight the appropriate areas is the policy where coverage extends to your trailer and contents and have him/her mail it to you for your files. It would be good to have a cover letter signed by the agent detailing this information. That will dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s in case of an incident.

The devil is in the details! :shock:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
switz

You stated that your home owners insurance covers your trailer, that's is true only until it leaves your property that the house sits on. Once on the street, it does not cover the trailer. NO approved form of home insurance will cover a trailer once it is off the property. Your home owners insurance will also cover your car, as long as it is on the property but you car insurance is better coverage even on your property.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts