GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my new 2019 CSC trike and I found out that my insurance company (State Farm) only has it insured as a Goldwing bike. How do you get additional coverage for it being a trike or is there another company that knows what they are and how to insure them? Right now I'm looking at a shortfall of about 20k worth of coverage as compared to the standard Goldwing Tour DCT. State Farm is telling me they do not insure "modifications" to motorcycles, they are having a hard time understanding that I bought this off the floor as a trike. I have a call currently into State Farm to see if we can get it figured out but I want a fall back plan to get this covered.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Our trike conversions are insured through Nationwide. I believe the conversions are label as accessories and valued at 13k or something like that. Don’t recall for sure. Hope you get straightened out to your satisfaction. Soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Insurance

I went with Progressive, I had the same problem with Statefarm. They said keep all the receipts and it MIGHT be covered.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Been through that same thing here in Ky.. Checked with the DMV here in Ky. and they wanted me to license the bike as a rebuilt bike.

I told them no way as it was almost a new bike. Left the registration as a bike and insured it fully as a bike plus I added accessory coverage for $15,000 to cover the trike part as accessories.
Unfortunately bike got totaled later on. Insurance paid me off within two weeks the full amount of accessories and bike book price.

Very satisfied with the insurance co..

The state doesn't consider them as trikes because Honda doesn't make a trike.

Barney

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It may be even worst then what has been stated, a trike is a modified motorcycle. Most insurance forms do not cover modified bikes. You can get special insurance but it really cost. Read you policy carefully. I have read some policies from major insurance companies that only cover the frame and the handlebars. Also most accessories lose value very fast.T, hey are covered at a wholesale value not retail. So if you have $1000 worth and have a loss it will be back at the wholesale value which may not be very close to the $1000 value. Beware and be smart!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Coverage varies from state to state, and it probably varies state to state within the same company. With that being said, I have State Farm insurance on my Trike and have had it with them all along on all my vehicles and trikes. As stated, they just consider it a motorcycle. Had claims on two of them. One was rear ended and totaled, the other caught fire and was destroyed in less than five minutes. No problem. They researched the value of it as what it was: a three wheel motorcycle. Paid a very reasonable settlement on both.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I went with Progressive, I had the same problem with Statefarm. They said keep all the receipts and it MIGHT be covered.
Whoever you buy your insurance from, make sure the "value" is covered and receipts are important.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I sent my insurance Co. a copy of my trike receipts, as well as a picture of the trike once it was built..(before & after pic's) Not sure if that helped or not cause I have not had to make any claims as of yet.. BUT now yea got me thinking here........
Wednesday I'm going on a very long ride (Northern Maine)...(six hour ride one way). I think that I will give my Co. a call before I leave.. Thank you! for the head's up!

Ronnie

·
Registered
342 Posts
I sent the wife over to state farm they took a picture of the trike and said if it is bolted to the bike it is part of the trike and it is all covered, I have been with state farm since 1984.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I to question this more then once with my insurance company State Farm and they said
my trike conversion was covered even though it's approx. 1/2 the price of the bike itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 Goldwing trike with a CSC kit. At first my Liberty Mutual agent didn't think they would cover it, but I did get it covered as a motorcycle with $15K in accessories.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I, also, have State Farm and I have a trike. since the VIN is for a 2 wheeler, I just gave them some pics and everything is covered. No problem.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I also have State Farm. I talked to my agent prior to having mine triked. After getting back home, I contacted him again and he asked me to bring it to his office so he could see it. He ended up taking a photo and featuring it on their FB page. I have since got my title corrected and it now has 2 VIN #'s on it. I was told all they had to do was note that my bike is now a trike and I'm covered. Surprisingly. My premium never went up either...

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts