GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car, bike and home insurance with Nationwide for years - I'm pretty sure I've been overpaying :)oops:) but have not been able to find the time to shop the coverage.

I recall seeing an article in Motorcycle Consumer News a number of years ago about things to be aware of when looking for motorcycle insurance coverage. Can't find that article now that I need it!! :shrug:

What are the things we have to take into account when looking for insurance coverage on the bike?

Mike

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Are add on's covered?
Are passengers covered?
Does it include uninsured motorists?
Do you need it to cover medical or is medical covered with another policy?

I am sure there are many more!

Good luck trying to determine if you are comparing apples to apples when looking between companies!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think osduck5 has it pretty well covered.
Some companies offer roadside assistance at a small additional charge.
Don't just ask for "full coverage" as that term in the insurance industry is really meaningless.
When you compare between insurers, make sure you are comparing with the same limits and deductibles.

MCN did articles in October 2001 on deciphering your insurance policy and in March 2002 did an Insurance Rate Investigation. Are one of those what you remember seeing?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input - and, Warprints, those are indeed the articles I was looking for - guess it's been more than a few years! :oops:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Mike, something to consider on the roadside (towing) coverage. My underwriter is Foremost.

I was pretty happy with Foremost and then I had a breakdown (throttle cable broke) and needed a tow. I called Foremost and they said they'd send a wrecker, and, if something happened they couldn't find one, they'd call me back. Well, about two hours later they called back and said they couldn't find anyone to come out. This was approx. 1530 hours on a THU afternoon. Additionally, I was 5 miles outside of a small town that had at least three wrecker/towing service companies. Ended up a local fellow retrieved his trailer and hauled the bike to a shop.

When I posted about this on here, someone suggested that Foremost may have offered too little $ to the wrecking company so the wrecking company declined. Leading Foremost to say they couldn't find anyone. I don't know if this is the case, but something worth considering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts