GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I live in Ontario, Canada and ive been informed by my Insurance company that the cost has gone up by almost $600 this year, before I sink my ships with them I like to hear from other Canadian members what their companys charge. Im with Primmum, last year I paid $1100 for two bikes this year its $1600.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just curious, is your policy itemized where you can tell how much of the increase is for medical limits? Waiting for it to happen in the good old USA soon. Have to pay for that free health care somehow, I am told motorcycles can be dangerous.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
WOW !!!

I just got my annual bill from PROGRESSIVE ... 1980 Honda CM400A is $39 annually ... 2002 Honda GL1800 is $209 annually ... 2002 Buell Blast is $55 annually. TOTAL $303 annually with a $34.00 discount for up front total payment ... so my total cost is just $269 ANNUALLY for THREE BIKES !!!! :thumbup:

This includes $50, 000 each person / $100,000 each accident liability ... uninsured motorist $50,000 / $100,000 ... uninsured motorist prop damage $10,000 ... Medical payments $2,500 each ... Comprehensive $250 deductible ... Collision $500 deductible ... Accessory coverage $3000 ... roadside assistance $500 ...

I realize that we are in different countries ... and I thought we were similar neighboring countries ...now I'm wondering whether we are on the same planet ... :joke:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
That is cheaper than bc government insurance. luckily we have private insurance that is cheaper but we still have to pay for 200000 minimum with the government and the rest can be bought privately. for 8 months i pay about 1200 dollars and for a year privately for collision comp about 440 dollars. if i went totally with government insurance i would be looking at around $1800 to 2000 dollars.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I trashed Primmum last summer. Since they were taken over by TD-Meloche, customer service has gone down hill. I Bought a 120 year house in a rural community and they knew about for for3-4 months. 3 days before we moved, they called to say that my new residence was too old and they would not insure it. And because they were not insuring my principal residence, they would not insure my old house until it was sold. I am not giving them a chance on the bikes, I will insure them with someone else regardless of cost rather then deal with them anymore.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have bodily injury to others at $100,000 up to $300,000 per incident, $50,000 for property damage, comp. & collision for the bike with $250 deductible, $3000 for accessories, and roadside assistance for $173 per year. But there is no bodily injury for me. Oh yeah, it is Progressive.

·
Registered
824 Posts
For all you US folk, your pricing has ZERO comparison to what we Canadians pay. Medical is not a choice. We either get the minimum of PLPD (PUBLIC LIABILITY PUBLIC DAMAGE) or full coverage, where there we can play with $ amounts for liability, deductibles etc. Where we live has the biggest impact on pricing and BC leads the pack for total cost right now with Sask coming in second and I think its close. I live in Alberta and I pay 665.00 for full coverage and purchase price replacement value 26,600.00 (last year I'm eligible). That gives me 2,000,000.00 liability, 500.00 deductible. I believe if I lived outside of a major city (Edmonton) I would drop 150.00 or so. I am with Aviva only because they matched the quote I received from a company called Blue Circle who used to only do bikes but they have expanded to everything else. My aviva policy was through Jevco who I believe they bought out?? So check out Blue Circle maybe they cover Ontario now. I know my b in law lives in Caledon,On and his FJR costs 1200.00 full coverage (last year) that was also replacement value as it was new.
FWIW, my BMW R-100 costs 265. PLPD and my Suzuki C-40 costs 245.00 PLPD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh Oh. That's not good news. I too am insured with Primmum. You must have just received your renewal as I thought all of their bike policies come due in March.

I currently pay a little more than 900.00 for 2 million and full coverage. I live in York Region which I am sure has high rates. I am sure my renewal notice will be coming shortly. Was at the bike show two weeks ago and picked up several pamphlet from other insurance companies. May have to check them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TD Insurance has been my best value for a fourth year now; $1,069 for 2013 with no change for 2014, in the expensive 905 area! Alumni group rate. TD: 905 281-1442

Bike only. Car and house are with RBC with better car insurance rate than TD.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi guys I live in Ontario, Canada and ive been informed by my Insurance company that the cost has gone up by almost $600 this year, before I sink my ships with them I like to hear from other Canadian members what their companys charge. Im with Primmum, last year I paid $1100 for two bikes this year its $1600.
I am with the Personal Insurance company for all of my vehicles, and my home. My 2003 Wing with a $500 deductible, cost me $1104 dollars last year, but the renewal this year has gone down to $984 for some reason. This is with full collision, medical and benefits coverage, plus uninsured motorist on the bike. As a comparison, each of my two automobiles is $550 and $650 for complete coverage from this company.

There was a time a couple of years ago,when I had two bikes insured (2004 Vulcan Nomad and the 2003 Wing). My combined premium was a few bucks shy of $1900 ($784 for the Nomad and $1184 for the Wing).

I am an old fart, with a perfect driving record, so dunno if that makes much of a difference given the crazy way they determine risk these days.

Hope that helps...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts