GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone checked with their insurance company to see if they covered in an accident while using a car tire?

I have Progressive insurance and wouldn’t want to end up footing the bill if I’m involved in an accident.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Ditto. Had a long slide on the bike's side and ditch impact, resulting in lots of damaged areas. Allstate agent had to look all over the bike, but made no comment about the CT.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Same here with Allstate after hitting a deer, no problem

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Sam, I have Progressive and my wife is my insurance agent. She asked an adjuster when I first went Darkside and was told as long as it is DOT approved there would be no problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! My brother brought this up and it did concern me after our discussion. I just wanted to make sure.

Boomer, Your wife being an agent definitely made me feel better!

Sam

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
You wont have any problems with claims to Progressive. Been there, done that!!

Reactions: Bloodbought1

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You ever hear of a person pulling a trailer who gets in an accident having an insurance issue? How about a trike rider? Or a sidecarist? Now take a look at pg 17 of your owner's manual. You will see Honda NEVER mentions a CT prohibition anywhere. However, they DO say DO NOT tow a trailer or add a sidecar. Yet for some reason, insurance doesn't have an issue with mods the manufacturer specifically prohibit.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You ever hear of a person pulling a trailer who gets in an accident having an insurance issue? How about a trike rider? Or a sidecarist? Now take a look at pg 17 of your owner's manual. You will see Honda NEVER mentions a CT prohibition anywhere. However, they DO say DO NOT tow a trailer or add a sidecar. Yet for some reason, insurance doesn't have an issue with mods the manufacturer specifically prohibit.
Honda doesn't state a prohibition because the code of federal regulations (CFR) does.

In the USA the DOT placards on the motorcycle and the owners manual specify M/C in the tire size. These placards on vehicles and printed in owners manuals are required on vehicles approved for sale in respective jurisdictions and in the FMVSS code and CFR 49.571 are specific descriptions of approved rims supplied on vehicles approved for sale and the rim type is M/C for motorcycles, hence the description of tire size includes M/C. It's on the sidewall of the tire as well.

I don't have a dog in this fight but it's clear that if in the event of a claim an insurance company could deny it based on the clause for unapproved modifications. Because this is uncommon makes the risk acceptable but it is a risk nevertheless.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
In the USA the DOT placards on the motorcycle and the owners manual specify M/C in the tire size. These placards on vehicles and printed in owners manuals are required on vehicles approved for sale in respective jurisdictions and in the FMVSS code and CFR 49.571 are specific descriptions of approved rims supplied on vehicles approved for sale and the rim type is M/C for motorcycles, hence the description of tire size includes M/C. It's on the sidewall of the tire as well.
Do the federal rules you cited SPECIFICALLY state do not use car tires on MC rims, like Honda specifically says do not tow or attach sidecars? Or do the federal rules only state something to the effect that those tires are OEM spec'd? I Googled the CFR you cited, but it is so convoluted, IDK how anyone can find anything specific in it.

If you have a link to the section or paragraph you contend prohibits car tires on bikes, I'd like to get it so I can read exactly what it says. And something tells me anything the feds write has room for interpretation.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
honda doesn't state a prohibition because the code of federal regulations (cfr) does.

In the usa the dot placards on the motorcycle and the owners manual specify m/c in the tire size. These placards on vehicles and printed in owners manuals are required on vehicles approved for sale in respective jurisdictions and in the fmvss code and cfr 49.571 are specific descriptions of approved rims supplied on vehicles approved for sale and the rim type is m/c for motorcycles, hence the description of tire size includes m/c. It's on the sidewall of the tire as well.

I don't have a dog in this fight but it's clear that if in the event of a claim an insurance company could deny it based on the clause for unapproved modifications. Because this is uncommon makes the risk acceptable but it is a risk nevertheless.
ya its called lawlers bs!!!! Cover "there azz not yours = more bs.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
My insurance agent who represents 5 different company's I made I a darksider back in 2010 . Just sayin . Also I have sat down with a table of Honda GOLDWING engineers and we discussed car tires on the prevois model goldwing. They did not want to hear anythung till I mentioned my wing is out of Warrenty...... Than they were all ears and wanted to hear my thoughts , discuss theirs , and what I did get is " Honda will never admit that they could work on a goldwing " .. It was a great conversion and I was shocked at how open minded they were after I told them I had no Warrenty left .

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Nationwide covered mine, sent the check no probkem. Local guy took a couple photos, but the service manager said he never even looked under it. Claims agent was a girl 3 states away that I only had email communications with. It's cheaper for them to write the checks that to pay the lawyers if it is just vehicle damage. ~$6k for repairs and $900 for riding gear ('06 premium audio that had ~100k on it). Of course, they jacked my rate sky high so I've bounced through Geico now to Dairyland.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In regards to CFR 49.571, dduelin has a point. If the correct Rims are specifically called out with tires sizes. Then the insurance company could build a case.

I work in the Aerospace industry and I’m a FAA rep for my company. So regulations are vague and often up for interpretation, however it always boils down to who has the best lawyer. I guarantee the insurance company with all their money will win.

With that said, as most have stated earlier in this thread, I believe the insurance is ok to pay a claim such as a single vehicle accident or a deer strike. The big question is if the rider was to cause a multi vehicle accident or situation where numerous people are injured and it went to court, would the rider be liable due to running a car tire? Especially if the injured parties were to go after the rider.

As Ramonandiris stated, side cars and towing is prohibited and no one ever questions that.

I’ve been reading allot of articles since buying my CT and reading what you guys are saying. But, I have to admit I’m still riding the fence on whether I install the tire or return it.

Thanks for all your advice and input!

Sam

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
In regards to CFR 49.571, dduelin has a point. If the correct Rims are specifically called out with tires sizes.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/part-571

So far, this is the only working link to the CFR that I have found.

I found NOTHING under the FMVSS that prohibits a CT from being installed on a mc. If I missed it somewhere, please point it out. Standard 119 just discusses testing.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If its DOT approved you are golden.:smile2:
DOT approval is ALWAYS for a specific type of vehicle. There is no such thing as a car tire that is DOT approved for motorcycles. It would be the same thing as putting a passenger car tire on a 1 ton pickup.

A tire is only DOT approved for the application it was designed for. The "P in the tire size indicates it is a passenger car tire. People are just kidding themselves if they think otherwise.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have never heard of anyone having a claim denied for a type of tire they used, but that doesn't mean it never happens. Just like with warranties, for the most part the insurance companies really only care about things that had a direct influence on the claim. They aren't going to put your bike under a microscope looking for anything they can use against you. They have no time or patience for that.

If you read any insurance policy carefully, you will find a section about unsafe modifications. It probably won't give specific examples. But it will say that modifications that are deemed unsafe could cause a denial of claim. And this is regardless of what YOU think is safe. It is what the industry thinks is safe that matters.

I'm not saying that should scare anybody off, but you should at least know that policies do have language that would allow them to legally give you a lot of grief it they really wanted to be dicks about it, or if your car tire possibly contributed to an accident.

Even though I have my own preference for tires, I won't judge the choices of others, because it doesn't affect me. But if you are going to dive into this, at least be honest with yourself. Don't hide behind false assurances. You really are on your own with this decision.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/part-571

So far, this is the only working link to the CFR that I have found.

I found NOTHING under the FMVSS that prohibits a CT from being installed on a mc. If I missed it somewhere, please point it out. Standard 119 just discusses testing.
CFR 49 571.119 S5 to S5.2 sets forth the federal standards for tire matches to rims approved for certain vehicles sold in the USA. The federal governing body allows trade associations to publish the lists of approved rims for approved tires and one would have to have access to The Tire and Rim Association and the Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers' Association, Inc.to see the specific dimensions, cross sections, and markings of vehicle category tires and rims but such detail is not required for this discussion. Suffice to say motorcycle rims vary from automobile rims in definite ways because they are both designed to meet different stresses under expected use therefore standards are set forth.

Executive summary is that motorcycle rims are marked MC or MT and tires for use on motorcycles are marked with M/C. Use of a tire not marked for use on a MC or MT rim constitutes a prohibited use of rim or tire under CFR 49 571.119. Honda meets the standard by recommending tires with M/C in the DOT sizing placards.

Bear in mind I'm not arguing for or against such uses, just pointing out why the Honda GL1800 owners manual does not have to explicitly prohibit use of car tires. To repeat myself, Honda doesn't have to because it is set forth in the CFR and FMVSS.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts