GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of years and worsening arthritis, me and the misses have decided to trike our 03 Wing and I have been reading your postings. I have a great appreciation for your input on all of the trike related issues. I am meeting with an installer tomorrow at a Honda shop in Marshall, TX to review the Champion Trike. I have already looked at the CSC. Since my bike still has a bank note, I decided to call my insurance company ahead of time. To my surprise, Progressive refuses to provide Comprehensive or Collision on my Wing if I have it "modified" from 2 to 3 wheels. Any opinons on reputalbe insurance carriers in Texas that will not have an issue with full coverage for this "modified" motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Try American Family. I checked and my insurance will be the same, 2 or 3 wheels...don't matter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got a decent rate with Foremost Insurance. They specialize in motorcycles and are part of Farmers.

B

·
0 Posts
I have American Family Insurance (Ohio). I don't know if they write in Texas.

My trike costs about $100-150 more a year than the wing. I spoke at length with my agent and the underwriters. AFI does not have a "trike" policy. The conversion is covered as a $13,000 accessory. My agent has a file with my original Wing invoice, my invoice from the converter, a price list of every accesory I have added and before and after pictures.

The AFI underwrite said that if they did not have all that info, if I had an accident, they would only pay up to the cost of the bike, not the trike.

WB0SPL, if your agent says "2 or 3 wheels...don't matter" you'd better have him check with underwriting before you have an accident. If this is the same American Family I have, somebody is wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. FYI, I have also learned of at least 2 folks in the DFW area who ARE being insured by Progressive so maybe I got the company moron.....surprise.....not!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
beastie said:
WB0SPL, if your agent says "2 or 3 wheels...don't matter" you'd better have him check with underwriting before you have an accident. If this is the same American Family I have, somebody is wrong.
My post was based on that inquiry. When I originally went to the office, they could not tell me. They checked with the home office and the information they received was as I posted.

I do not have a trike as of yet...but doing all the preliminaries before I commit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the Wing insured with Progressive until I had it triked. Switched to Foremost. When I called Foremost about the trike they even knew about the different conversions and want to know which one you have.

Cheers,
Jill

I

·
0 Posts
Geico will insure trikes alright. Their rates are out of sight, at least here in Michigan. I have had them quote every vehicle I own many times, and they aren't even close. That little lizard on TV costs alot to produce. :<)

Check with Allstate. They cover my trike fully and beat Progressive by a large margin. Allstate has been aggressively seeking MC insurance business.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No sweat with State Farm, at least here in Idaho. Triking it does increase the replacement value etc., so it'd be logical for premiums to go up - a little. Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, got the real scoop (with the proper wording assistance from some others folks on the forum)....Agent called Progressive and verified that the corporate moron was wrong. Progressive will insure the bike as a conversion to a trike. Basically a trike kit is considered an "accessory". All they need is the kit mfg name and the new value of the upgraded bike. Any increase in premium would be solely on the value of the "accessories"......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts