GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased '08 with ABS. Confused about integrated brakes. Manual indicates application of front brakes will apply some rear braking force. Another post on this forum (anti dive debate) I thought said front brake lever only applies front brakes. With the bike on the center stand and running in gear I applied front brakes with no apparent braking of the rear wheel. Is this normal or should I be looking for a problem.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Front brake lever, front only............rear peddle= front and rear application.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The linked brakes are designed to engage BOTH front and rear brake calipers in different combinations when applying right hand lever or right foot pedal, (see RED's diagram in #17 post here: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165953 ). The front wheel also has to be moving to engage the secondary master cylinder in order to activate the rear caliper - which is why if you put the bike on the center stand, you will not see the rear wheel being braked.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Front brake lever, front only............rear peddle= front and rear application.
Buzz,

That WAS how the integrated brakes worked on the GL1200s and the GL1500s.

The GL1800 integrated brakes are completely different than that and BOTH the brake lever and the brake pedal apply some braking to both the front and rear wheels.

There are three brake calipers, one on the back and two on the front, of course. That's obvious. What is NOT obvious is that there are three pistons in each of those three calipers and the brake lever and brake pedal apply pressure to a different combination of those pistons.

So, yes, you do get some front brake and some back brake application with both the lever and the pedal. If you have a factory service manual, you can look up the brake system diagrams and see exactly which combination of pistons are used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info but to clartify... with the bike on the center stand will I see any braking of rear wheel when applying front brake. If I should be (and I'm not) what could the cause be?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Chapter 4 of the Honda maintenance manual shows how to check the operation of the front/rear system. It says to move the left front caliper upward and check that the rear wheel won't turn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts