GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Integrated Cell Phone Wireless Chargers/Mounts for bikes

I have several wireless chargers around the house and office, as well as in my car. Really like them, so much handier than plugging the phone in. On the bike, for a few years now I've used a Ram finger mount, but had to resort to plugging the phone in to charge. 2 major problems. First-any dampness makes charging fail. Even protected behind the windshield enough dampness gets into the contacts to prevent charging, and it takes a long time to dry out. The other problem is that cords don't last long in this application. When plugged in all day, I can usually only get a few days on a cord (I've learned to carry a bag of spares). I assume the vibration wears out the contact surfaces.

A year or so ago I spent quite a bit of time looking for a waterproof, wireless charger for bikes and was unable to find anything. A few days ago I had decided to look for the thinnest charging pad I could get to try to mount in the center of a Ram mount. Figured I'd seal the cord with some RTV and see what happened. Well, I decided to search one last time for wireless chargers for MCs on Amazaon-and what do you know? They have them now! I ordered this over the weekend:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKGNHRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will report back when I do some testing, but thought I'd share the info.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Have you seen the RAM Intelliskin cases/mounts? The phone case has integrated connectors to mate in the mount, which provides power to the phone.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have several wireless chargers around the house and office, as well as in my car. Really like them, so much handier than plugging the phone in. On the bike, for a few years now I've used a Ram finger mount, but had to resort to plugging the phone in to charge. 2 major problems. First-any dampness makes charging fail. Even protected behind the windshield enough dampness gets into the contacts to prevent charging, and it takes a long time to dry out. The other problem is that cords don't last long in this application. When plugged in all day, I can usually only get a few days on a cord (I've learned to carry a bag of spares). I assume the vibration wears out the contact surfaces.

A year or so ago I spent quite a bit of time looking for a waterproof, wireless charger for bikes and was unable to find anything. A few days ago I had decided to look for the thinnest charging pad I could get to try to mount in the center of a Ram mount. Figured I'd seal the cord with some RTV and see what happened. Well, I decided to search one last time for wireless chargers for MCs on Amazaon-and what do you know? They have them now! I ordered this over the weekend:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKGNHRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please let us know how you like it. Very interested in a hands-on review.

There are several wireless chargers designed for motorcycles on the market now but they don't look promising when it comes to phone security in them. On the photo this one looks more secure, looks like it would hold the phone well.

Waiting for your thoughts about it when you receive it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please let us know how you like it. Very interested in a hands-on review.

There are several wireless chargers designed for motorcycles on the market now but they don't look promising when it comes to phone security in them. On the photo this one looks more secure, looks like it would hold the phone well.

Waiting for your thoughts about it when you receive it. Thanks.

I got it in last night. Overall, looks pretty decent. The retention mechanism is "ratcheted", you rotate a knob to tighten the arms, push a button to release them. The arms are "notched" to secure the phone-which I see as both good and bad. The good is that the notches would retain the phone well. The bad? It is possible to tighten and not get the phone behind the notches, rather grabbed on the tips. I'd prefer a friction "grabber" like a Ram, but we'll give this a try. The arms are plastic, but pretty thick and solid. It has what looks to be a standard Ram-sized ball for mounting, which is what I was after. Picking up a new bike Sat, will mount it up when I get the bike home and give a report.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I got it in last night. Overall, looks pretty decent. The retention mechanism is "ratcheted", you rotate a knob to tighten the arms, push a button to release them. The arms are "notched" to secure the phone-which I see as both good and bad. The good is that the notches would retain the phone well. The bad? It is possible to tighten and not get the phone behind the notches, rather grabbed on the tips. I'd prefer a friction "grabber" like a Ram, but we'll give this a try. The arms are plastic, but pretty thick and solid. It has what looks to be a standard Ram-sized ball for mounting, which is what I was after. Picking up a new bike Sat, will mount it up when I get the bike home and give a report.
Thank you for the update. Please let us know how the wireless charging is working when you try it.

I bought a cheap wireless charger online and at first use it made my phone so hot that I won't be using it again.

Does it say anywhere on the packaging that the unit is waterproof? I would assume it should be since it's for a motorcycle use but...

·
Registered
909 Posts

Wonder if this will fit the newest iPhones, the 11, 11 Pro and the 11 Pro Max? Especially the Pro Max as that will be my next phone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed this one from Amazon today...after 150 mile check ride, happy to report that it did charge my Samsung S8.
Took awhile especially with maps running (trying to find my way home), but did as advertised and held phone thru some rather sporty bumps...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I installed this one from Amazon today...after 150 mile check ride, happy to report that it did charge my Samsung S8.
Took awhile especially with maps running (trying to find my way home), but did as advertised and held phone thru some rather sporty bumps...
You forgot to attach the link or the photo...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts