GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added more photos including of the inside of the GPS. See below.

I recently integrated a Garmin Voice Command GPS into my gold wing audio system and put together a webpage with some of the information on how to do it. It works really well and makes a nice improvement over a Zumo or the wings built in navigation. Here is the link.

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Excellant report Greg!!, Garmin should hire you.. You can't get that much info from Garmin tech's!! I will bet you will get a lot of inquires from members of this board! absolutly great idea and post and report..Looks like you may be in position to start up a side job!!!! Actullay Honda should pay attention to your post!!! I would love to have that set-up on my wing.. :congrats:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Are the Kennedy Cellset Zumo microphone integration kits still available?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Great mod Greg and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Photos Including Of The Inside Of The GPS

I have finally reopened up the GPS and took the photos of the inside showing were I cut the speaker and microphone wires and drilled the hole. I have also added some more screen shots from the GPS including one that shows the way you can see traffic cameras from anywhere in the US. Here is the updated link.

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Pardon me for showing my lack of knowledge. Would a Sena Bluetooth headset integrate with this Garmin unit and accomplish the same thing?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Pardon me for showing my lack of knowledge. Would a Sena Bluetooth headset integrate with this Garmin unit and accomplish the same thing?

I'm not sure if the mic would worked when paired up but if I had to guess I would say yes.

The problem with the wireless BT solutions is that you then lose all of the functionality of the OEM system (AM/FM/XM/Navi/Intercom/trunk iPod) unless you use another device to integrate the bluetooth with the wing. Those solutions are somewhat flaky and J&M's requires the use of J&M bluetooth headsets.

There is a member who designed a board that will integrate Sena's with the Goldwing but it is DIY at this point.

I can't speak for Greg but if I had to guess like many riders (and LD riders especially) batteries and rechargeable items are a hassle if you ride more than 8 hours a day.

I like the stock Honda system with the exception of the stock Navi (has gotten better in 2nd gen) and phone functionality would be nice.

If the OEM system had an aux channel for bluetooth devices it would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That is kinda what I was hoping for. I have the Bike MP3 cable to integrate the Sena headset with the Wings system. If the Sena will talk to this Garmin unit, I can see a purchase in my not too distant future. I like the screen size and features it has to offer

I do not do LD riding, and rarely ride for more than 8 hours at a time, so the charging thing is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That is kinda what I was hoping for. I have the Bike MP3 cable to integrate the Sena headset with the Wings system. If the Sena will talk to this Garmin unit, I can see a purchase in my not too distant future. I like the screen size and features it has to offer

I do not do LD riding, and rarely ride for more than 8 hours at a time, so the charging thing is not an issue for me.
A little bit of a sidetrack here but how does BikeMP3's product work for you? Like the CB it shows out of stock on BikeMP3's website.

I am a little leery of the bluetooth integration solutions out there as each and every one of them is "all sales are final". J&M, BikeMp3, etc.

It doesn't seem like many of the people making these systems have much confidence end users will be happy with the results. But, I haven't ever tried one so I can't say whether they work well or not.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have not had a chance to ride with anyone as yet to give it a fair try. Once I do, I will get back to you. If it is any consolation, their MP3 player works great.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish, this and most Garmin car GPS's do not Bluetooth to a Bluetooth headset. Only the motorcycle GPS's connect a Bluetooth headset. The Nuvi line only connect to a cell phone. I think Garmin does that on purpose so we do not use the car line of GPS's and have to buy the expensive motorcycle line GPS.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
MIC splitters are hit or miss with the 6XX models the only 100% way we have found is to mimic a Bluetooth headset and use that to connect to the bike

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
nice job ! :thumbup:

I am wondering about the zoom buttons, do they work good ? currently have a nuvi 1450 5" and it works good but the zoom buttons are about useless, previously had a nuvi 5000 and those zoom buttons worked great but the GPS never lasted very long, garmin replaced it 3 times, the next time it failed I bought a 1450 and other than the zoom feature it mostly works great, my next GPS will likely have a 7" screen

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice job ! :thumbup:

I am wondering about the zoom buttons, do they work good ? currently have a nuvi 1450 5" and it works good but the zoom buttons are about useless, previously had a nuvi 5000 and those zoom buttons worked great but the GPS never lasted very long, garmin replaced it 3 times, the next time it failed I bought a 1450 and other than the zoom feature it mostly works great, my next GPS will likely have a 7" screen
The zoom buttons are pretty large and east to touch with gloves on. I think because of the 7" screen and the screen resolution the buttons are just bigger.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
The zoom buttons are pretty large and east to touch with gloves on. I think because of the 7" screen and the screen resolution the buttons are just bigger.
Have u actually used them while riding ? My 1450 zoom buttons don't work very good at all even parked with no gloves or using a touch pen

1 - 20 of 37 Posts