GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting quite a bit of background noise in my headsets, it is almost like there is a mic near the engine picking up general mechanical noise. Also if you tap the top shelter you can hear that through the headsets.
Any ideas as to the cause? Is this a common problem?

J

·
0 Posts
goldwingrider.steve

I think what you are hearing is normal. Especially if the "Top Shelter" happens to be what we would call a helmet. The GW uses an "Open Mic" at both ends of the intercom system and you will hear everything the mic picks up. It is much worse in high cross winds. You don't have to live with it. Full face helmets reduce the noise considerably. Wind-deflectors will also make a difference, you may play tricks with very thin baloons or rubber glove fingers or condom material stretched tight over your wind sock (you really need perfect or very good hearing to do this one). But if you want to cut to the chase just install Mic-Mutes and fix the problem and be done with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Noise from the top shelter comes with the cheap an nasty amplifer fitted to goldwings. Just keep the intercom volume low, helps to eliminate the noise, picked up by the guts of the radio/intercom.
Jas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts