GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the J&M headsets and was wandering what the difference is between the $79 set and the $150 set. I will only use them during cold weather. This is when I use my 3/4 helmet. I use a half helmet when it's warm. Will listen to the radio and chat with the wife on it. Is there really a big difference in the sound quality? etc. Any info on headsets will be appreciated.:?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I was about to ask the same thing. I have J&M headsets that I bought back in 1993. They were pretty good, but I hope they're better now. I, too, would like to know whether the more expensive ones are really better.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bought the 8154B-OF and was not real happy with the audio performance. And the huge mics. Then bought the BCD279-FL-HO units with the aero mic3 and the 55mm speakers, WOW what a difference. I have the other 2 I will be selling in Oct. OK for open face helmets and communication but not the best for quality audio. IMHO

I got those same ones from ebay(8154-OF) it even said would fit FF, but don't even consider that it will fit a FF with the big mic. They are Open face only. Those are the ones I'll be selling. They have the 1 piece cord, the others have a 2 piece cord.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like there is a big difference. I guess you get what you pay for. Lets see, $150 X 2= $300. Looks like I better start saving up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Waited like a buzzard (patiently) till a set appeared here on the board. Pounced like a bird on a bug when they did. Not sure, but he had another 1 or 2 sets. PM EarnhardtSportsman see if there are any left. That was 3 months ago.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Recently purchased the HSICD629 HJB HO for my new HJC IS MAX BT helmets.

Installation is straightforward.

Sound quality is excellent - no hiss, or engine noise when using the intercom.

I am very satisfied....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If you aren't locked in on J&M, IMC works well. They were $75 a set a couple of years ago. We like them because the speakers are thin and the mics are small. We use them for intercom mostly. Others have said they aren't the best for music.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't really remember. The price was not in the info I looked up. But expect to pay about $100 if in excellent shape and has the lower cord. I think the ones you see on J&M website don't include the $30+ lower cord. only the upper section. Been awhile since I got them, but love them. There are other brands as well. Direct Line here sells the J&M series and has price matching.

PS the used ones I got were BCD257 not the 279 as I posted. The 257 were superceded.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a question about intercom headsets. Usually I ride the GL 1800 solo, but have twice this year carried a passenger when we were on a three day ride.

Neither was able to hear the music or the CB radio. What do I need to buy to make them be able to hear what I hear or talk between our selves?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts