GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday as I was returning from a PGR mission (riding solo) I disconnected my helmet intercom cable. The sudden silence was startling! When the intercom cable is connected there is a loud and continuous "wind" noise. When I pulled the cable apart the total absence of noise was astounding. Is that much headset noise normal or is there something I've missed doing to the system somewhere?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go to Electrical Connections web site and get a Ground Loop Isolator. It took all of the hiss out of my audio system.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to Electrical Connections web site and get a Ground Loop Isolator. It took all of the hiss out of my audio system.
[/QUO
Is there a specific "Electrical Connections" website? I just did a Google for that and received hundreds of sites. I picked one, did a search for "Ground Loop Isolator" and it returned a "Nothing found" result.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my 2008 GL1800 Comfort/ Navi I can turn the intercom off by pressing the intercom button. That takes care of the constant background noise which is comprised of wind and electrical noise/ static-like. I did add a suppressor to my phone line to reduce static noise when listening to music or navigation from the phone. But intercom noise seems a different and unavoidable constant.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
<...>But intercom noise seems a different and unavoidable constant.
As I recall, the intercom amplifier in the radio itself has some inherent noise - more than might otherwise be expected. I try to keep the level no higher than 10 or 11 to mitigate that.

What exacerbates that noise is more efficient speakers/in-ear monitors we're installing in our helmets these days that actually let us hear what used to be masked by the older, less efficient speakers of the past.

Paging @LarryM to the discussion for anything else I may have omitted.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is what Augi was talking about:
Ok, I just tried the link and found the Honda GL1800 / F6B / GL1500 (Interstate) Direct Connect Ground Loop Isolator $34.95.
Now looking at the picture I'm not seeing how the 3.5mm plug on one end would make a connection that would affect the intercom.
How would the device be connected? I looks as though it is plug n play but from where to where do the two end connect?
The white plastic connection on one end looks like it is built to connect to an OEM connection on the wiring harness but the 3.5mm phone plug looks like it might connect to a stereo plug on something like an MP3 player.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Before doing anything else, while riding block the headset mike. You maybe surprised by the difference and it will help you determine how much is system noise and how much is generated by wind, motor, etc.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Now looking at the picture I'm not seeing how the 3.5mm plug on one end would make a connection that would affect the intercom.
A noise isolator like that will not remove the 'wind' noise that you described in your first post.

Please read the link in post #9 above.

EDIT: See also: GL1800 Intercom Noise Service

You can truly find dozens of posts about the two most common noise sources - the internally-generated noise that we're discussing here, and the externally-generated (e.g. wind) noise, generated as you're riding down the road with a hot microphone.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Likely you're hearing the wind noise coming from your mic via the intercom. Don't have to disconnect the cables, just turn off the intercom via it's button. Push and hold until off. Very common on standard headset connections on the Honda. What few times my wife and I ride my bike together we do use the intercom and it's very frustrating the system has no noise cancellation circuitry to mitigate this. Short rides not a big deal, but long ride and I usually have to turn off the intercom and tell her to let me know if she needs to talk to me, I'll turn it back on.

So glad she usually rides her own. Using our CBs etc, you don't have listen to this wind noise. A big oversight on the original design. Suspect Honda thought, "Well, it sounds fine sitting here in the R&D room."

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me see if I can make myself clear:
I know I can turn off the intercom without disconnecting the cable.
I can tell the difference between alternator whine and wind noise. When I said "wind" (notice the parens) I said that because the noise is more a rushing, hissing, wind like noise than an alternator whine noise.
My question as posed is....is that normal or is there something that can be adjusted to less the noise? Apparently from the replies it is unavoidable with this system.
The SENA Bluetooth systems we have on our other helmets can have the mikes turned and physically adjusted so that the actual wind noise is lessened. Not eliminated, just lessened.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I believe kwthom is on the nose here. Play with Intercom volume and I think you will find that there is a sweet spot, I think mine is at eight, where volume is good with almost no system noise. Each increase of intercom volume from that sweet spot will bring with it an increase in the system noise.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I can tell the difference between alternator whine and wind noise. When I said "wind" (notice the parens) I said that because the noise is more a rushing, hissing, wind like noise than an alternator whine noise.
My question as posed is....is that normal or is there something that can be adjusted to less the noise? Apparently from the replies it is unavoidable with this system.
;)

Just making sure we're referring to the same source of this 'unwanted audio'.

Unfortunately, it's normal...and it also means you still have relatively decent hearing.

EDIT: As @weengers mentioned, even a couple of clicks lower on the intercom volume can make a LOT of difference in that noise.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I appologize for not reading all above resposes. On most previous models the cruise makes a digital noise, the top shelter is often microphonic (tap on it to see if the sound comes into headsets) and them mic noise.

prs

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm going to ask some stupid questions here:
1) What type of helmet are you wearing, 3/4 or full face?
2) Who is the manufacture of your headset? Some manufactures have more sensitive mics and therefore pick up more ambient sounds.
3) Is this noise constant even while you not moving? If it wind noise the sound should diminish when coming to a stop.
4) Do you have a wind sock on your microphone? This really help to cut down the wind noise.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok, I just tried the link and found the Honda GL1800 / F6B / GL1500 (Interstate) Direct Connect Ground Loop Isolator $34.95.
How would the device be connected? I looks as though it is plug n play but from where to where do the two end connect?
The white plastic connection on one end looks like it is built to connect to an OEM connection on the wiring harness but the 3.5mm phone plug looks like it might connect to a stereo plug on something like an MP3 player.
I agree that that isolator is not going to help with your intercom noise.

As mentioned above, try messing with your intercom volume adjustment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts